Author Topic: Superiority Complex with 4WD's  (Read 39527 times)

Offline dlncooke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2014 Dmax LSU, Jayco Destiny & Oztent
Re: Superiority Complex with 4WD's
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
We are part of the Dmax Nation.
2014 Dmax, LS-U setup for outback touring.

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »

My 4WD stores. Moved to Cairns in 1997. Never had a 4WD but wanted one being up here to explore  the area.

What to buy... Talked to a number of mechanics and they advised a Toyota so bought an 80 series. Slowly added some extras with what I thought I needed and started to enjoy the Cape and the Gulf area. After a number of years it started needing work so traded it in on a V8 2004 model. Wow, the power was great as I towed a horse float and camper. Due to a marriage break down that went and was left with no 4WD. Being happy with what I had and a limited budget went to another 100 series and only a 6cylinder built 2000 model. Started the mods again and have it just the way I want it finally.

Years later and only 136,000 klm on the clock the motor went. Another $11,000 and its back on the road. Still enjoy it and it suits what I want for the budget I have.

Today there are so many options that I would not know where to start if I had to buy a new one. As my kids have moved away and there is only 2 of us I am partial to a dual cab but until my numbers fall I can only dream. Who knows in the future!!

Budgets, change of lifestyle will always see changes in what people will buy. Personally there is no perfect 4WD but the one that suits your requirements and Travelling styles. Do you want to tackle the OTL or cruise the tarred roads towing a caravan.

As long as I have the opportunity to get to places hassle free and sit by a creek or river relaxing and laughing with friends then I am in heaven.

We are superior in our own eyes.  ;D

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Landyline

• Tent User
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 06:31:57 PM »
I've never had the same brand twice. Even counting 2wds.
Didn't really set out to do that but 6 cars later I've had 6 brands.
Customline camper trailer

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
Superiority Complex with 4WD's
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Hmmm in my driveway right now is a Nissan a Mitsubishi and a Toyota...
So don't think I can be called a brand snob.
But I will say off road, the Toyota is absolutely useless compared to the Troll and the Challenger...
But I spose I shouldn't expect too much from a Corolla. :)
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:07 PM »
A bit more to add to my decision on which 4WD would suit me. The search began about 12mths before the purchase, starting originally looking at dual cab utes. I researched everything from brand new to second hand, VW to Toyota but nothing really grabbed me enough to be convinced. The main reason for looking at dual cabs was due to at the time having a Rodeo which was just really handy when you needed to just throw stuff in the back. Once we purchased the camper I noticed that not much was going in the ute so started to widen my search. Mainly Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi's were the choices. I wanted something that was comfortable, had a reasonable amount of grunt and would get me the places I wanted to go. While the Patrols and Cruisers were standouts as far as off road ability there were still concerns with both. I wasn't keen on the horror stories for the Nissans and definately wasn't real keen on the fuel consumption of the petrol Cruisers ( diesels being overpriced IMO )
It was then I looked into the Prado. While originally I did look at buying diesel, once again the price difference between them and a petrol was quite substantial. That and a few more horror stories to do with the D4D injectors made my mind up and a 2008 petrol was purchased and I've been more than happy so far. Whilst a couple of the guys I tend to go away with both own Nissans the banter has been never ending. Yes the Nissans are more capable off road, but I'll still give most things a go within reason ( still a bit protective with the Prado )
I think the decision all comes down to researching what vehicle will do at least 90% of what you want it to do and go for it! no matter what others think, after all you're the one paying for it.
I've attached a few pictures of both mine and my mates just to show that I am not at all biased that I in fact do have the greatest 4WD ever made.

First up is mine getting out there and having a go, then the mates with their Datsuns...... Enjoy

:) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;)

Sent from your iPad using Mental telepathy
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:05:52 PM by Marcus73 »

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2014, 08:00:43 PM »
Hmmm in my driveway right now is a Nissan a Mitsubishi and a Toyota...
So don't think I can be called a brand snob.
But I will say off road, the Toyota is absolutely useless compared to the Troll and the Challenger...
But I spose I shouldn't expect too much from a Corolla. :)

I dunno, I've hired a few Corolla's and that tackled anything I've pointed them at ;)

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »

A bit more to add to my decision on which 4WD would suit me. The search began about 12mths before the purchase, starting originally looking at dual cab utes. I researched everything from brand new to second hand, VW to Toyota but nothing really grabbed me enough to be convinced. The main reason for looking at dual cabs was due to at the time having a Rodeo which was just really handy when you needed to just throw stuff in the back. Once we purchased the camper I noticed that not much was going in the ute so started to widen my search. Mainly Toyota, Nissan and Mitsubishi's were the choices. I wanted something that was comfortable, had a reasonable amount of grunt and would get me the places I wanted to go. While the Patrols and Cruisers were standouts as far as off road ability there were still concerns with both. I wasn't keen on the horror stories for the Nissans and definately wasn't real keen on the fuel consumption of the petrol Cruisers ( diesels being overpriced IMO )
It was then I looked into the Prado. While originally I did look at buying diesel, once again the price difference between them and a petrol was quite substantial. That and a few more horror stories to do with the D4D injectors made my mind up and a 2008 petrol was purchased and I've been more than happy so far. Whilst a couple of the guys I tend to go away with both own Nissans the banter has been never ending. Yes the Nissans are more capable off road, but I'll still give most things a go within reason ( still a bit protective with the Prado )
I think the decision all comes down to researching what vehicle will do at least 90% of what you want it to do and go for it! no matter what others think, after all you're the one paying for it.
I've attached a few pictures of both mine and my mates just to show that I am not at all biased that I in fact do have the greatest 4WD ever made.

First up is mine getting out there and having a go, then the mates with their Datsuns...... Enjoy

:) :) :) :) ;) ;) ;)

Rofl playing that game are we...... You wait until I get home ;)
I was just admiring my new intercooler when that pic was taken
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2014, 08:32:31 PM »
PS your a snob and need Counceling ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Online GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:47 PM »

Yep. Unlike a lot of others, there's plenty worth looking at under that red bonnet....... ;D ;D
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2014, 08:45:36 PM »
I wonder where I fit in, in this debate, ;D after all there is only one Nisota. :cup:

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
When I did my research for this car, I was settled on a GU, but drove a prado and a paj to do some due diligence.

Withing 5 mins of driving the prado I new it was for me. The feel of the drive, over powered all of the clinical research!! So we try to choose with our brain, but the heart often steps in

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
Rofl playing that game are we...... You wait until I get home ;)

Before the you tube video is shown in my defence, my radio had been going for 9hrs straight ;)
And listen to how easily it still jump started.

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
I'll play  ;D
I started out with a 1989 GQ patrol. Dual fuel! I loved that truck, big lift ,40" super swampers and all the other jazz. I rolled that thing three times and replaced the body three times.
Went from that to an 80 series manual, hated the gear box and kept snapping cv's.
 Then into a 100 series manual v8! Man I loved that car! Sold that when I wanted a ute.
Bought an area rodeo v6, it did everything I wanted off road, it was very comfortable. But at the time the fuel bill was not going to work.
sold that and went back to. Patrol. Built it up exactly how I always wanted one but never used it so that went :-( .
We also have  a d22 navara dual cab that does all our daily and weekend duties. Good tug that one actually.
I am currently driving a 2004 land rover discovery v8, dam that is a nice truck. I'm not going to give it back I think. I actually like it so much that I'm thinking of getting a disco 3 at the end of the year.
I've had a few explorers but didn't use them much off road, mainly for towing the big ski boats and the mistakes horse floats.
I think no matter what you drive as long as it does what you want it too then it is by far the best four wheel drive out. ....... for you  :angel:

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »
It's funny how most of the people that say the 200 series Cruiser is not capable off road  are the disgruntled 3l Patrol owners.

Went for a ride in my mates 3L Patrol on the weekend....... Dare I say very underwhelming at best. >:D

I have owned Patrols, Tritons, Hilux's and Landcruisers  over the years and  I can tell you the 200 series cruiser is the best by a bloody big margin.

:cheers:

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2014, 09:30:49 PM »
It's funny how most of the people that say the 200 series Cruiser is not capable off road  are the disgruntled 3l Patrol owners.

Went for a ride in my mates 3L Patrol on the weekend....... Dare I say very underwhelming at best. >:D

I have owned Patrols, Tritons, Hilux's and Landcruisers  over the years and  I can tell you the 200 series cruiser is the best by a bloody big margin.

:cheers:

Had I had the $ the 200 is what I'd have bought no questions asked

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 09:50:27 PM »
I wonder where I fit in, in this debate, ;D after all there is only one Nisota. :cup:
Careful there jclures, you'll get ya duds hung up on the barb wire from sitting on the fence for too long.

TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 10:42:35 PM »
To be honest, all of us who drive any brand of 4wd are 'superior' because we can go further and see more than anyone else.

p.s. my tin top Sierra really is the best.   ;D
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:21 PM »
I can't afford to be a brand snob.  At 2m tall - and with growing kids - my first criteria is "can I fit".

Last time I had a real short list of new 4WDs - 200 series, Pajero, Disco or Pathfinder.  Everything else was too small for me to drive.  I discounted used 100 series and 120 Prados (which I do fit into) because of lack of safety features.

I ended up with a Pajero because I couldn't afford a 200 series, had previously owned a LR and still wasn't convinced of their reliability, and the Pathy's reputation (for both reliability and offroad ability) was known.

Next time around, I'll do the same thing and see what I fit in, then make a decision.

My past 4WDs have included a V6 Freelander, 2Dr Range Rover and an XJ Cherokee.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:06:25 PM by Dion »
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 11:02:02 PM »
I had a late model 100 Series V8 petrol auto and had been perving at the 200 Diesel for years. Finally bought a second hand 200 GXL with all the fruit which weighs in at 3,260 kg with a full 180 litre tank and one drawer full of recovery gear. It's a really great vehicle BUT:

The Auto in the 200 is very mushy and not nearly as crisp and nice to drive as the 100, even after a transmission flush. It also seems to hardly ever lock up.

The 200, with all the weight, lift and roof racks plus the extra cost per litre of diesel, costs the same to run around the 'burbs at the petrol 100 series.

The cruise control on the 200 is rubbish and the so-called climate control is useless.

My 200 is less dustproof than my old 100 series.

The rubber trims in the roof channels keep popping off after they have been removed once.

Other than that, I love the 200,  but it's not Manna for Heaven. So what do I perve at now?

Keith

200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline broncos11

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 11:05:49 PM »
To be honest, all of us who drive any brand of 4wd are 'superior' because we can go further and see more than anyone else.

p.s. my tin top Sierra really is the best.   ;D
[/quot

One of the vehicles we use to take up to DI and Fraser when we were all around 17 was a stock standard Mazda 1300!!!! Some of those trips will go down in folklore with a few making the papers. Always got it home. It was red and we use to get a screw driver and scratch each trip onto the guards hence the Red Baron nickname. Just needed a tow every now and then. Yes, it was a different world back in 1981!!
2003 IFS V8 100 series

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2014, 12:26:30 AM »
Over the years I have had the pleasure to drive a pretty wide selection of vehicles, starting off with the old Land Rover whatever series it was and a 130 Defender to the old Dattos, before they became Nissan Patrols.  At the time I did my own research test drives etc and bought what I could afford.  In the early days it was easy as there was not a great deal of range.  Then Toyota brought in the Hilux dual cabs, missed out on the 55s which would have made a great bus, to the 45s and finally the 70 series troopies.  Again with work drove a mixture of mainly Cruisers and Patrols, each had good and bad, for us at the time the Troopy was the best.  Then the ever ongoing flurry of dual cabs and the demise of the 4wd. 

It was like some metrosexual latte loving jurno having an identity crisis and insisted the 4wds be more car like.  Now we seem to have every type of car for every shade of cosmetic he has to wear.  Really.

Just when it looked like the 4wd community could be getting some really great 4wd vehicle they all went soft.  Not to mention the must have safety devices and traction aids, all of which may work fine on road vehicles but do the absolute opposite off road. 

Sorry people I don't expect a real 4wd to be released as a new vehicle, if ever.  Especially now the mining industry has been forced into have 5 star rated vehicles.  Absolute crap.  Thanks to some bureaucratic decision that it is safer.   But I digress.......

We currently have an 80 Series and a Suzuki Grand Vitara.  Why, quiet simple really.  The bride due to medical reasons is high needs when it come to vehicles. If she is expected to drive it or be a passenger in it she needs to be able to drive it and be comfortable in it.  A five minute sit in a vehicle will very quickly cull a vehicle for us. 

The Zook is supposed to be her car, but the kids are constantly using it.  The 80, well, we wanted to get into the touring side of things and while the Zook will do it the Cruiser tows the camper a whole lot easier. 

Choosing the 80 we did the rounds of the car yards and she sat in just about every make and model of potential vehicles out there.  She fell in love with the 100 series ticking everything for her.  For the Patrol fans, yes she tried it but found the seating position too low and had troubles seeing over the bonnet.  Looking at the budget the 100 was out of the question and the 80 was second on the list.  We just had to wait for the right one, an auto turbo diesel to turn up.  took a while but that is what we got, only because it suits our needs. 

Is it the vehicle I would like to have?   No but I think our dream vehicle would be a separate thread.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2014, 05:12:00 AM »
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 05:58:07 AM by Jakster1 »
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2014, 05:14:09 AM »
Yes there are plenty of great 4wd's out there.
But it can't be denied that with a few simple and fairly
Inexpensive mods the patrol ( ok and a handful of others - jeep, defender, 80, sierra) WILL GO FURTHER offroad down the hard tracks than anything else.
A few inches of lift,  35" tyres and locked up, nothing else will touch these vehicles.

They are comparatively crap onroad, and don't try to tow too much with them, but if used as a 4WD for 4wding  as they are designed then nothing else is as close.

How many 100, 200, Pajero, prado, dual cab etc etc hardcore trucks do you see?

Therefore they are superior AT 4WD
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »
The 4.2l Patrol is a great 4x4.

I'm sorry but the 3L Patrol IMO is not a superior 4x4. Far, far from it.

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #74 on: May 16, 2014, 07:05:38 AM »
If I wanted a superior 4wd I'd look at doing this.

http://www.arctictrucks.com/Frontpage/Brands/Toyota/Land-Cruiser-200