Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 383180 times)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
Hey Lost,
This will make ya blood boil, >:D
I was told yesterday by a teacher at our primary school this,
They live at Junction Hill, Just out of Grafton. She for the first time decided to try Coles online Shopping. With a new born she is time poor.
The Van arrived, the next morning, all good, she ask how many other shoppers in Junction Hill get home delivery, She was told she was one of four, then she was told that they had come from Coffs Harbour.
Grafton has two Coles Stores, Junction Hill is 7k's away. Coffs Harbour is about 90k's away.
When I told my wife this, Who manages a Deli(Spar Supermarket) in Maclean, she told me a lady the other day was having a go at the owner of her shop, about his prices, they mentioned that they now get their groceries from Wollworths Ballina, 94 km away from Maclean. There is a Woolworths in Grafton, 45km away.
No wonder small towns are dieing.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Hey Lost,
This will make ya blood boil, >:D
I've given up, This country is way too far gone to be saved.. may as well become a lemming.

I was told yesterday by a teacher at our primary school this,
They live at Junction Hill, Just out of Grafton. She for the first time decided to try Coles online Shopping. With a new born she is time poor.
The Van arrived, the next morning, all good, she ask how many other shoppers in Junction Hill get home delivery, She was told she was one of four, then she was told that they had come from Coffs Harbour.
Grafton has two Coles Stores, Junction Hill is 7k's away. Coffs Harbour is about 90k's away.
When I told my wife this, Who manages a Deli(Spar Supermarket) in Maclean, she told me a lady the other day was having a go at the owner of her shop, about his prices, they mentioned that they now get their groceries from Wollworths Ballina, 94 km away from Maclean. There is a Woolworths in Grafton, 45km away.
No wonder small towns are dieing.
the moronic have taken over :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
Check your computer:- http://www.dns-ok.gov.au/

Ten thousand Australian internet users are among four million worldwide who face a total internet blackout from July 9 thanks to a malicious piece of software that infected their computers without their knowledge.

That is the warning to Australian internet users from the Australian Communications and Media Authority, which today issued a statement appealing to internet users to check if they were infected. http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_410332

The communications regulator, together with other government agencies, has set up the website dns-ok.gov.au for web users to check their computer for the malicious software and remove it if necessary.

The web blackout from July 9 will be enforced by the US FBI, which is shutting down a number of web servers through which infected users' web request traffic has been travelling. It's shutting them down following an investigation http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/operation-ghost-click-busts-cybercrime-ring-that-hit-4m-computers-20111110-1n8v3.html?rand=1332986225817 into a sophisticated internet fraud ring which used the servers to manipulate people's web browsing.

The malware changes a user's DNS settings, diverting all web requests through servers the FBI seized in November but has been temporarily maintaining to ensure internet services were not disrupted. This maintenance will finish on July 9, meaning computers still infected will face internet troubles.
"It is likely that users infected ... will be unable to connect to the internet when the temporary DNS solution is switched off," the dns-ok.gov.au website states.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/ten-thousand-australians-face-web-blackout-20120329-1w00q.html#ixzz1qTRCRPoi
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2012, 03:39:04 PM »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
Y2HappeningNow
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »
Mark Best awarded $3m compensation after ute fall
"A JUDGE has awarded a Bunbury man almost $3 million compensation after he fell off the back of his friend's ute and suffered a brain injury. "

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »
And the WA copper who is unable to walk or talk after a horrible mosquito-borne illness contracted while working up north got a grudging $400,000 out of the government (his employer). Go figure.
At least the cops in Chicago, where he has gone for treatment, gave him a grand welcome, complete with bagpipes. Brought a tear to my eye.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
Collingwood fans breath a sigh of relief!!   ;D

THE AGE.

Pies fright as 'G dress-code sign startles footy fans Jane Holroyd
April 2, 2012 - 12:15PM

No April Fools' prank and "no moccasins" for football fans at the MCG's Great Southern Stand.

AFL fans attending round one games at the MCG over the weekend received a fright when a sign outside the Great Southern Stand proclaimed a new "neat casual" dress requirement for entry.

Footy fans who entered the ground at Gate 5 were greeted with a large sign that declared thongs, T-shirts and footy shorts among items of clothing that would see patrons denied entry to the general admission part of the Southern Stand.

A caller to radio station 3AW pointed out the sign was ludicrous: "How can you have a Collingwood game with no trackpants, and no thongs and no overalls?" asked the woman, who was at the MCG at the weekend.

The Melbourne Cricket Club has since confirmed that the sign — which was outside Gate 5 from Thursday until this morning — was placed outside the Southern Stand by accident and was not an April Fools' Day joke.

Shane Brown, the MCC's communications manager, said the sign was removed this morning.

"The temporary sign is a direct copy of the dress code to gain entry to the MCC Members Reserve at Gate 2," said Mr Brown.

"It was incorrectly replicated at Gate 5 by our signage supplier late last week and has now been removed."

Three games were held at the MCG over the weekend; Carlton versus Richmond, Hawthorn versus Collingwood and Melbourne versus Brisbane.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-fright-as-g-dresscode-sign-startles-footy-fans-20120402-1w7n7.html#ixzz1qrLOirfm

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:53:24 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2012, 04:05:30 PM »
Quote from: Mace
Collingwood fans breath a sigh of relief!!   ;D

THE AGE.

Pies fright as 'G dress-code sign startles footy fans Jane Holroyd
April 2, 2012 - 12:15PM

No April Fools' prank and "no moccasins" for football fans at the MCG's Great Southern Stand.

AFL fans attending round one games at the MCG over the weekend received a fright when a sign outside the Great Southern Stand proclaimed a new "neat casual" dress requirement for entry.

Footy fans who entered the ground at Gate 5 were greeted with a large sign that declared thongs, T-shirts and footy shorts among items of clothing that would see patrons denied entry to the general admission part of the Southern Stand.

A caller to radio station 3AW pointed out the sign was ludicrous: "How can you have a Collingwood game with no trackpants, and no thongs and no overalls?" asked the woman, who was at the MCG at the weekend.

The Melbourne Cricket Club has since confirmed that the sign — which was outside Gate 5 from Thursday until this morning — was placed outside the Southern Stand by accident and was not an April Fools' Day joke.

Shane Brown, the MCC's communications manager, said the sign was removed this morning.

"The temporary sign is a direct copy of the dress code to gain entry to the MCC Members Reserve at Gate 2," said Mr Brown.

"It was incorrectly replicated at Gate 5 by our signage supplier late last week and has now been removed."

Three games were held at the MCG over the weekend; Carlton versus Richmond, Hawthorn versus Collingwood and Melbourne versus Brisbane.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-fright-as-g-dresscode-sign-startles-footy-fans-20120402-1w7n7.html#ixzz1qrLOirfm
Fixed
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2012, 06:20:17 AM »
Just watching the news this morning as a Twister was picking up Semi trailers like sticks.
Large tornadoes, damage reported in Dallas
Amazing stuff.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2012, 07:33:35 AM »
When I first saw that footage I thought they were sheets of roofing iron being tossed about.  They are unbelievably powerful things.
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »
Hey Kevin,
How high into the sky were they taken?
Unbecrediable

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
Warning – Political comment ahead - Craig Thomson affair.
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2012, 07:39:21 AM »
Just watched more news about Federal Labor member Craig Thomson and Fair Work Australia’s investigation.  I do not care what political party someone supports, this has been a joke and a disgrace. Over three years to investigate and then to release a secret report to the Director of Public Prosecutions! No way, how much are these people at Fair Work Australia being paid!  If that was me in my former employment I would have been charged!
After reading about the original allegations, why was there not a complaint made to the Police in the first place.
I know he is presumed innocent, but come on.  If that was anyone else in the community things would have been dealt with very differently. He is definitely being treated differently and think about how much his super is being increased while this is all happening! Politicians just do not get it, most of us are sick of their bulls***. That was what happened in Queensland recently, the public spoke. That should have been a warning to all politicians.
Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2012, 08:24:34 AM »
Just watched more news about Federal Labor member Craig Thomson and Fair Work Australia’s investigation.  I do not care what political party someone supports, this has been a joke and a disgrace. Over three years to investigate and then to release a secret report to the Director of Public Prosecutions! No way, how much are these people at Fair Work Australia being paid!  If that was me in my former employment I would have been charged!
After reading about the original allegations, why was there not a complaint made to the Police in the first place.
I know he is presumed innocent, but come on.  If that was anyone else in the community things would have been dealt with very differently. He is definitely being treated differently and think about how much his super is being increased while this is all happening! Politicians just do not get it, most of us are sick of their bulls***. That was what happened in Queensland recently, the public spoke. That should have been a warning to all politicians.
Kevin

x2 (sick of the lies and double standards)
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
x3

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
Awesome :(

Rangers slammed over Easter parks no-go

The state government says rangers closing Victorian parks and camping spots over the Easter break in their bid for higher pay are "little short of a disgrace".

Popular camping spots such as Wilsons Promontory and day-trip destinations such as Werribee Park are on a list of 24 places set to be closed by Parks Victoria rangers as part of a long-running pay dispute with the government.

Unions on Monday notified Parks Victoria that its members would close car access to the parks they manage for the Easter break, from midnight on Good Friday to midnight on Easter Monday.

"Our rangers and other Parks union employees are determined to not be the only group of Baillieu government employees to miss out on the pay increases being paid over 2.5 per cent," Community and Public Sector Union (CPSU) Victorian secretary Karen Batt said in a statement.

"The government clearly expects that Parks employees will give in and accept a deal that insults their hard work and professionalism."

Deputy Premier Peter Ryan urged rangers to keep working over Easter.

"I think the decision which has been taken by the unions to close our parks over Easter is little short of a disgrace," Mr Ryan told reporters in Melbourne.

"And I would urge people within the sector who otherwise would be manning the gates and doing the great things that they do at our parks to defy the union and actually go and do what we are looking to them to do over the course of this Easter break."

He said the action could impact on regional economies, while Environment Minister Ryan Smith said it could spoil thousands of family holidays.

Other destinations threatened with closure by the industrial action include Buchan Caves Reserve, Churchill National Park, Dandenong Valley Parklands and You Yangs Regional Park.

The CPSU, which represents about 300 of the workers, wants a 6 per cent annual pay rise, while the government position is a 2.5 per cent annual increase, plus more if offset by productivity gains.

The dispute has been running since before Christmas

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/rangers-slammed-over-easter-parks-nogo-20120404-1wcai.html#ixzz1r2aYoAlM
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
Re: Warning – Political comment ahead - Craig Thomson affair.
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »
Kevin

He, I believe has admitted to using trade union credit cards to pay for hookers. I told my boss this must now be acceptable practice, I wont print his response.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/lost-asian-tourists-feared-dingo-attack-in-outback-ordeal-20120405-1we61.html

Three Asian tourists who spent days stranded in the harsh Australian Outback said on Wednesday they had feared being attacked by dingoes and had a close encounter with a snake
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
Anyone with a "SMART METER"???  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Miscreants are reprogramming meters to report less power usage, for a fee.

A series of hacks perpetrated against so-called "smart meter" installations over the past several years may have cost a single electric company hundreds of millions of dollars annually, the FBI said in a cyber intelligence bulletin obtained by KrebsOnSecurity.

The US law enforcement agency said this was the first known report of criminals compromising the hi-tech meters, and that it expected this type of fraud to spread across the country as more utilities deploy smart grid technology.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/security-it/smart-meter-hacks-likely-to-spread-fbi-20120410-1wm84.html#ixzz1rd3Rk7zW
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2012, 08:06:28 PM »
Yep, the smarter we get!  Just like when petrol stations became smarter and stopped employing drive way attendants and now they have problems with people driving off after not paying for the fuel and now they are talking, again, about paying for your fuel before you fuel up.  ATM’s giving you the choice of watching a 30 second ad and you do not have to pay a fee, too bad for the line up behind you! Yep, we are just getting smarter and smarter.   Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
I don't know about other states in the US but in Florida you had to go and pay for your fuel first. But also most of the servo's also have pumps where you can pay by card at the bowser like Woolworths do here but they take all cards. Can make things a lot quicker than when someone goes into pay for their fuel and then decides to do a weeks shopping while you are next in the queue.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »
Yep the US has been pay before fill (cash and card) for as long as I can remember, I don't know why they don't do it here.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »
Quote from: krisandkev
  ATM’s giving you the choice of watching a 30 second ad and you do not have to pay a fee, too bad for the line up behind you! Yep, we are just getting smarter and smarter.   Kevin
which bank is that, aint seen that one yet!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
It was in the news that some ATM's will trial the ads. Cannot recall if it was the banks or the non bank ATM's.
Re the USA pay before you fill, what about if you are filling up and naturally you do not know how much it will take?
I know some outback servos here are requiring a credit card before they turn the pump on.  Sad that we all have to suffer because of the few grubs.   kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
It can't be, and all the fan boys told me Macs don't get viruses  ;D

Apple crafting weapon to vanquish Flashback virus
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/apple-crafting-weapon-to-vanquish-flashback-virus-20120411-1wpwl.html

Work - Outback
Play - Prado