Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 383172 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 07:53:13 AM »
It has conquered Monte Carlo and Bathurst, but the Simpson Desert is arguably the iconic Mini's biggest challenge yet.

Perched on the top of a sand dune with the bonnet up, I'm beginning to think our little Mini won't make it through one of Australia's — and the world's — most arduous off-road treks. It will not be the last time that thought crosses my mind.

But peering into the by-now reddish-brown engine bay of the Countryman, which moments before had thrown up an overheating engine warning light, is not filling me with confidence.

I'm stuck on top of the 400th-odd peak in the middle of the world's longest parallel sand dunes — the Simpson Desert — almost smack-bang in the centre of Australia

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/mighty-mini-20120322-1vlmi.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
anyone we know?

Naked drink-driver rolled 4WD on cigarette quest: police

March 26, 2012 - 10:48AM .
Newcastle police have arrested and charged a 41-year-old man with high-range drink driving and negligent driving after he rolled his Pajero while driving naked this morning.

A police spokesman said the man and his 41-year-old wife were at a home in Maryland when they decided to drive to Wallsend to get a packet of cigarettes.

Police allege the pair had been drinking heavily and got lost in the backstreets between the two suburbs about 1.20am.

The man allegedly reversed quickly down a street before turning the wheel, causing his vehicle to roll onto its roof.

An off-duty police officer heard the commotion and arrived on the scene where he held the pair until police arrived.

The couple were uninjured in the crash but when police arrived they found the man was naked.

The Herald, Newcastle

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/naked-drinkdriver-rolled-4wd-on-cigarette-quest-police-20120326-1vteq.html#ixzz1qC5IXcn9
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline outback jack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
anyone we know?

if it was in melbourne i would be picking speewa  :cheers:

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2012, 05:48:18 PM »
This touches a raw nerve, and see it so far as a storm in a tea cup, but media have zeroed in on the words " political correctness" and "ANZAC Day."

A report was put out mentioning political correctness concerns with future ANZAC Day commemorations for fear of offending our multicultural society.

While the report has mentioned this in one single line of a very thick and expensive report at tax payers expense, I'm glad to hear it also mentioned NOT to water down the way we recognize ANZAC Day.

What worries me is for the sake of political correctness, is to loose what is at very heart of our national pride for some minority group. I only hope things stay as they are and some liberal do gooder doesn't want to throw a cat amongst the pigeons, when it's not required.

Campfire
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:06:52 PM by Campfire »

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
Hi all
It's your local copper here, Dazzler come to melbourne and work the van in our safe streets. I live in a pretty good area and the amount of crap we have to deal with everyday would have you gob smacked! I too have been in since 1988 and things have changed. People do have knives and weapons and are not afraid to use them against us. All the talking in the world won't save you. I work one up alot and I will feel a bit safer when I get a automatic machine gun lol. Yes i do agree with you but the day they take my gear off me is the day i leavevthe job and get a job with our friend in Lake Gregory. I can't wait to be issued with a two prong taser. Parents, take responsibility of your kids. My 2 cents worth. :police: donuts
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Victim

• Swag User
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »
Hi all
It's your local copper here, Dazzler come to melbourne and work the van in our safe streets. I live in a pretty good area and the amount of crap we have to deal with everyday would have you gob smacked! I too have been in since 1988 and things have changed. People do have knives and weapons and are not afraid to use them against us. All the talking in the world won't save you. I work one up alot and I will feel a bit safer when I get a automatic machine gun lol. Yes i do agree with you but the day they take my gear off me is the day i leavevthe job and get a job with our friend in Lake Gregory. I can't wait to be issued with a two prong taser. Parents, take responsibility of your kids. My 2 cents worth. :police: donuts

Donuts.... I couldn't agree with you more!!  :cup:

2004 100 Series Kakadu V8 Landcruiser

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
Hi all

Where's Robocop when you need him.

Campfire  :police:

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2012, 08:21:43 PM »
Ahhh yes good ole Robocop, even he is not safe. The kids have no respect for anyone, they run around smashing things, leave burnouts everywhere and what do the courts do? F^{%{#}ing nothing! 3 more years and I will have 25 years and I am going to visit tjupurula in Lake Gregory. Cant wait.
And this crap about Anzac Day, come on everyone, lets fight this polical correctness crap. My dad fought against the Japanese and then married one. I am half japanese but I am as aussie as you will get. Bring it on!  :police:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:25:24 PM by Donuts »

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
Hi all

Hi Wayne
Mate I fully agree that you guys have the bad end of the stick.  We are lucky that we still have tribal law, and when young people do wrong, they are first given to their aunties or uncles to be "re-educated" very quickly, then they are stood before everyone ot embarrass them (shame for tribal people), after which they have to return all goods, or repair damage, then work to "earn" twice the cost of whatever they did or pinched.
You would be amazed how infrequently they do the same thing twice.  I would say excatly what happens but this is a public forum.  Hey, how did I get dragged into this anyway.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2012, 08:37:44 PM »
Because I have had a gutful and Lake Gregory looks like a peaceful place to visit . Ha ha . The photos were great
Wayne

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2012, 08:43:42 PM »
Our friend had to shoot a teenager, the teenager had knives. Not the coppers fault and not the kids fault. It's the system, the system keeps failing us. It will haunt my friend and the parents of the teen forever. RIP
Donuts.

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2012, 08:55:07 PM »
Ahhh yes good ole Robocop, even he is not safe. The kids have no respect for anyone, they run around smashing things, leave burnouts everywhere and what do the courts do? F^{%{#}ing nothing! 3 more years and I will have 25 years and I am going to visit tjupurula in Lake Gregory. Cant wait.
And this crap about Anzac Day, come on everyone, lets fight this polical correctness crap. My dad fought against the Japanese and then married one. I am half japanese but I am as aussie as you will get. Bring it on!  :police:

Your probably right about Robocop not being safe, let's say for arguement sake we had cyborg cops on the beat. The way kids are these days , you would probably have a 12 year old delinquent hack into a cyborg cop through some wireless scanner, take control and make him steal cars or something.

Cheers

Campfire

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
Them poor coppers just cant win.
They shoot a drug crased shop breaking thief with a tazer and the brazilians go mental and we bow down to that crap.

They shoot an armed crazy person after an agravated armed robbery and aggravted car theft and they get questioned why they didnt use a tazer.

The poor bastards just cant seem to win.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2012, 10:45:07 PM »
Them poor coppers just cant win.
They shoot a drug crased shop breaking thief with a tazer and the brazilians go mental and we bow down to that crap.

They shoot an armed crazy person after an agravated armed robbery and aggravted car theft and they get questioned why they didnt use a tazer.

The poor bastards just cant seem to win.

I heard on the news today that the police commissioner today offered his condolence to the family of the man shot at Parramatta. Is it just me, I find that wrong. I feel the family should be apologizing  to the people of NSW and especially the innocent people this ratbag allegedly offended against.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Fridge Magnet

• Tent User
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2012, 02:34:48 AM »
Allegations are being made that this guy was shot 5 times, wielding a stanley knife.  Be interested to hear from those in the know (police members) if they think this was an over reaction. Apparently the food court was busy, wondering whether (allegedly) discharging a firearm 5 times was worse than letting the bloke run away. Would a taser have made any difference? Not judging either way, I'm aware that the guy had already been involved in police chase, carjackings etc. that day.
What would Barnaby do?

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2012, 07:12:58 AM »
From a recently retired Police Officer.  I am not taking sides as we do not know the full story. 
But, first of all, the incident occurred away from the food area, it was in a rear area.  Even if it was a Stanley knife, what would you do?  Say you had taken hold of this person and he started to attack you with this knife, would you be laying there thinking, will I get my taser out? Should I get my spray out? I know what ever I do I will be criticised.  What would you do?  Me, I hate being cut up like a piece of meat even with a Stanley knife.  I know a cut to certain parts of my body will kill me within a few minutes.  In that split few seconds maybe I would be thinking, I am going to protect myself and shot this bas****.  Maybe it just happened very quickly and you don't have time to think, you just react.
Imagine if that officer just let that bloke run away, then he car jacks another car and kills someone. Image the news headlines!  Sorry, but that was a stupid thing to ask.
Remember, a capsicum spray is absolutely useless in that type of situation. So forget that one.
 A taser is also not a guarantee.  But let’s all try and judge that officer.  It must have been his fault.
Why do you think most Police are sick of the job?  I took early retirement and have not looked back.  I miss the job, but it is so different these days. You fight the courts and the media and the public and get no support from anywhere.
Sorry if I sound a bit touchy, but it is a very, very hard job.  I did just over 30 years in it. Saw a lot of things that most will never have to see and told countless people that their son, daughter, wife, husband are dead.  Yep, still remember every single one and remember the look on their faces.  Sorry, I better stop, some the things I could tell you would make you be sick.  (I will no doubt regret rabbiting on here when I later read this.)
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2012, 07:46:18 AM »
I look at it this way. The guy wouldn't have been shot if he wasn't breaking the law. It's like, if someone breaks into your house and you kill him. He wouldn't be dead if he didn't break in. Every Police Officer doesn't go out there thinking, who can I shoot today. I have great sympathy for the Police Officer and his family, he now has to live with the burden of societies scum (alleged).
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline Fridge Magnet

• Tent User
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2012, 08:10:39 AM »
  Sorry, but that was a stupid thing to ask.

No worries, was just asking, not trying to stir anyone up. Thanks for answering.   

he now has to live with the burden of societies scum (alleged).

I only say allegedly because for all I know the guy might have sneezed and had a heart attack, I'm just going on what I heard on the news.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:16:24 AM by Fridge Magnet »
What would Barnaby do?

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »
Well said Kevin.
Wayne
P.S.
We are  trained to stop the threat.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:51:12 AM by Donuts »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
Allegations are being made that this guy was shot 5 times, wielding a stanley knife.  Be interested to hear from those in the know (police members) if they think this was an over reaction.

Good on the cop I say.. Read what the piece of rubbish was doing... no mercy. its the cops life or said scrote, if I was the bacon, I'd have enjoyed it.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/family-had-tried-to-get-help-for-shot-man-20120326-1vupk.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »
Our friend had to shoot a teenager, the teenager had knives. Not the coppers fault and not the kids fault. It's the system, the system keeps failing us. It will haunt my friend and the parents of the teen forever. RIP
Donuts.
You had me agreeing with everything you've written on this topic, up till this point.
Disagree...the teenager know exactly what he was doing, the knives didn't just appear in his hand(s), it's premeditated. He'd learnt he could do what he want, when he wants, with little to no consequences. Unfortunately, your friend was the person choosen by circumstances - & unwillingly to I'll bet - to teach the teenager a very valuable lesson!

And Teabag...well said  :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2012, 12:34:08 PM »
 :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Crooks going nowhere: 'hotwiring' 4WD with no engine

Would-be car thieves who broke into an auto repair garage didn't get far when they tried to hotwire a Range Rover.

The men, who didn't hide their faces during the daylight break-in and stared straight into a CCTV camera at Wilson's Auto Repairs in Lambton, got into the four-wheel-drive vehicle through the rear, snapped off a steering lock and tried to get the engine started.

But then they realised there was no battery and a large part of the engine was missing - it had been partially removed for repairs.

They also broke in to a Mitsubishi Triton that had the same problem as the Range Rover and a Ford Cruiser that was missing a gear box.

Business part-owner Ian Baines wondered whether the offenders were aware they were robbing a repair shop when they jumped a fence about 6pm on Sunday.

"They didn't think to check the car had an engine before they tried to steal it," he said.

Mr Baines said the intruders - described as in their 30s to 40s - caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to the cars before stealing some items. They then tried to break into neighbouring businesses.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/crooks-going-nowhere-hotwiring--4wd-with-no-engine-20120327-1vvi0.html#ixzz1qHSj8gA6
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2012, 05:19:13 AM »
Another Aussie Manufacturer to close their doors.
Cussons set to close soap production line
More Aussie jobs going off shore.
 >:D

Edit;
The company said one of the reasons, was the price war between the supermarket chains.
Why is it the supermarkets don't lose out, it is the manufacturer that does?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:22:36 AM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2012, 07:30:55 AM »
From a recently retired Police Officer.  I am not taking sides as we do not know the full story. 
But, first of all, the incident occurred away from the food area, it was in a rear area.  Even if it was a Stanley knife, what would you do?  Say you had taken hold of this person and he started to attack you with this knife, would you be laying there thinking, will I get my taser out? Should I get my spray out? I know what ever I do I will be criticised.  What would you do?  Me, I hate being cut up like a piece of meat even with a Stanley knife.  I know a cut to certain parts of my body will kill me within a few minutes.  In that split few seconds maybe I would be thinking, I am going to protect myself and shot this bas****.  Maybe it just happened very quickly and you don't have time to think, you just react.
Imagine if that officer just let that bloke run away, then he car jacks another car and kills someone. Image the news headlines!  Sorry, but that was a stupid thing to ask.
Remember, a capsicum spray is absolutely useless in that type of situation. So forget that one.
 A taser is also not a guarantee.  But let’s all try and judge that officer.  It must have been his fault.
Why do you think most Police are sick of the job?  I took early retirement and have not looked back.  I miss the job, but it is so different these days. You fight the courts and the media and the public and get no support from anywhere.
Sorry if I sound a bit touchy, but it is a very, very hard job.  I did just over 30 years in it. Saw a lot
of things that most will never have to see and told countless people that their son, daughter, wife, husband are dead.  Yep, still remember every single one and remember the look on their faces.  Sorry, I better stop, some the things I could tell you would make you be sick.  (I will no doubt regret rabbiting on here when I later read this.)

Kevin

Totally agree with what your saying there Kevin. I think back to that poor cop in Tamworth and his family, then I get angry when I think of the d**khead do gooders who think the cop over reacted or see this criminal as the main victim.

I feel sorry for his family, but that's it. Call me old fashioned or not politically correct but this b**stard got what he deserved, and the cop involved should be praised as a hero with our society behind him. For some elements of our community to jump up and down for this criminals rights or to blow the facts of the story out of proportion which results in the poor copper recieving bias flak is disguisting.

This criminal is accountable for his actions end of story, I'm sick and tired of hearing this BS victim card they sometimes play.

That cop needs the whole of our community, and politicians rallying behind him for support for the actions he was forced to take in the line of duty.

Campfire

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2012, 10:09:22 AM »
Quote from: Hairs
Why is it the supermarkets don't lose out, it is the manufacturer that does?
that has me stuffed too..
if every company stood by each other and said to these 2 super fuq's that they werent going to sell their $100 product to them for $20 as they will go broke, and put the shoe on the other foot, would things change?

Although all Coles/Woolies will do is 100% import products and wipe out the 1% of products left in AU hands. But then the Gov could step in and stop the imports... yes, I've had 2000kgs of crack today and dreams are wild.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home