Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 383178 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2012, 12:18:51 AM »
Can't speak for the rest of Australia, but the Sudanese in our neck of the woods seem to be pretty good people. They certainly fill the job vacuum that the local dole bludgers are unwilling to apply for, mostly at the abattoir. There are 4 Sudanese kids in the U/14 footy team that I coach and I would have to say that they are up there with the politest, hardest working kids on the team.

My wife works at the local hospital and has has x-rayed a few of these kids (and their parents), she asked the radiologist why their bones came up a funny shade of grey and he had to consult the text books to work out that it was rickets brought about by severe childhood malnutrition, they hadn't seen it before.

So just saying that while the pay per stay scheme outlined above may not be the best idea that there are good, hardworking people with a genuine reason to leave their country that can contribute to Australia as a whole (here at least). I'd happily exchange the 'Aussie' serial dole bludgers in town for more Sudanese.

A better program might be to send the 'long term unemployed' to Sudan for a bit, see how choosy they are about jobs then.

Call me a bleeding heart soft c@#k or whatever but I have no problem whatsoever with immigrants who are prepared to work hard and contribute to the local community.
Spend a day in Dandenong/Endevour Hills and see if your mind changes... yes there are good and bad everywhere..
agree with you on the dole bludgers.. i know 2x 50yr old stoners who have never had a job on the books since leaving school.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fridge Magnet

• Tent User
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2012, 12:25:03 AM »
Mate there are generations of families down here who have never worked a day in their lives. Like I said, I can only speak for where I live. BTW I spent 3 years at Dandy TAFE in the early 90's and wouldn't go back on a dare  ;D
What would Barnaby do?

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
This is doing the email rounds ATM,  I could be interested in it!

Dear Prime Minister,

Please find below our suggestion for fixing the Australian economy.

Instead of giving billions of dollars for projects that nobody needs or wants e.g. insulation bats, Solar panels, School fund to have 3 assembly halls at ten times the price for 30 students Why not use the following plan.

You can call it the Gillard Redhead Retirement Plan:

There are about 5 million people over 50 in the work force.

Pay them Â$ 2 million each severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire.
Five million job openings - unemployment fixed

2) They MUST buy a new Australian car.
Five million cars ordered - Car Industry fixed

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage -
Housing Crisis fixed

4) They MUST send their kids to school/college/university -
Crime rate fixed

5) They MUST buy Â$100 WORTH of alcohol/tobacco a week .....
And there's your money back in duty/tax etc

It can't get any easier than that!

Also
Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks.

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell..

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request.

Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week.  Live in a tiny room and pay Â$400.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

Think about this (more points of contention):

COWS
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it amazing that during the mad cow epidemic our government could track a single cow, born in Goondiwindi almost three years ago, right to the paddock where she slept in the feedlot at Bony Mountain?

And, they even tracked her calves to their stalls. But they are unable to locate 125,000 illegal immigrants wandering around our country. Maybe we should give each of them a cow.

Also;
Think about this ... If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is time for us grumpy old folk of Australia to speak up!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:20:04 PM by Mace »
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
I'll drink to that  :cup:  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
Hear,Hear
That email should be on the front page of every newspaper in the country.

3.8v6lover

« Reply #130 on: May 07, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Spot on!! ;D

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #131 on: May 07, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »

I don't know how fairdinkum this is, Don't they have chassie rails in their trailers, cause I can't see how the truck didnt get dragged down the track.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8463272/truck-cut-in-half-by-train-at-level-crossing

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »

Also
Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks.

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell..

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counselling, pool and education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request.

Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week.  Live in a tiny room and pay Â$400.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out

Having in the last fortnight put my Mother into full time care with Parkinsons at 68, It's scary how true that is, only where she is it's not for the hard work of the nurses!
 :cheers:
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
Unions and the Labour Party rock!!!!!!  Don't know why you would ever vote coalition??? ??? ??? ??? 

Once again the unions and Labour have shown how good they are at running this country.  Libs get voted out, Labour takes over, country goes to hell in a hand basket.  Libs get voted back in, mess gets fixed, country on mend and then we vote Labour in again.  Damn we are smart people...

Sorry just had to vent.  But I guess that is the beauty of a democracy ain't it.  We get the government we deserve...

Cheers
CB
2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
O.K I'll bite...
Don't believe all you hear on talk back radio or today tonight >:(
Sick to death of all the anti Labor/Gillard sentiment.
I bet if you lived in Spain where unemployment is at 24% you would think Australia looks pretty bloody good with figures of 5% unemployment.
Julia is also doing the job with a minority government and considering this has made excellent progress and reform, imo.
Problem for Labor is that they have to battle a negative mainstream media with a vested interest to feed the fears of large sections of the Australian community ??? They also have to invest and rebuild after years of conservative rule.
Oh and on the poor buggers seeking refuge in 'the lucky country', how about we give them a break as they've been through enough and have a lot to offer... The least we can do is take them in and show them a different life, it's our responsibility as citizens of the world :angel: Also, lets not forget that it was immigrant labour that made Australia plumper!
Let's Switch off the fear monger talk back radio half wits and current affairs programs who continue to insult Australian's intelligence!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:38:56 PM by Benduro »

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2012, 08:40:59 PM »
That's the funniest post of the thread.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2012, 08:44:33 PM »
Julia is also doing the job with a minority government and considering this has made excellent progress and reform, imo.

This part made me laugh the most, Bob has been doing the job for her...
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
J
Oh and on the poor buggers seeking refuge in 'the lucky country', how about we give them a break as they've been through enough and have a lot to offer... The least we can do is take them in and show them a different life, it's our responsibility as citizens of the world

How many refugees will you be taking into your family home.?
$300 a week each, easier than working.
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:41 PM »
Quote from: cruisindub
How many refugees will you be taking into your family home.?
$300 a week each, easier than working.
None... and I hope nobody in my area does..
Magically, crime seems to follow some of those groups... those really dark dudes moved in our area, and *all of a sudden* the place is coated in graffiti tags... just coincidence.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2012, 10:04:51 PM »
Benduro,
That is what makes Australia what it is mate.  Our ability to agree to disagree.  I think it was Churchill who said something along the lines of "Democracy is the worst form of government... Until you look at the alternatives".

I actually didn't post it to get a bite, just to vent my frustration.  But let me state this again.  In a democracy we get the government we deserve.  So lets go to the polls so intelligent Australians' can have their say and get the government we deserve so we can get away from Bob Brown who represents less than 33,000 people in this country of $22M having an inordinate amount of power.  Please remember that Julia sold out to the Carbon tax and mining tax in part to appease Bob Brown to ensure she was able to form a minority government.  We reap what we sow.

But the biggest thing that gets me with the current Labour government is they are all so "shocked" about what the unions (specifically the HSU at this stage) have done.  It is ALL jobs for the boys (and girl?) who have been union stalwarts.  They have all been there, just never got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.  Bugger all of them have ever held a REAL job in their life.  Perhaps the only person who had come close to owning his own business and so being able to employ people was Peter Garrett!  I think that is the problem with the entire Labour Party.  They have no idea of the trials and tribulations involved in actually running and being responsible for peoples livelihood.

Anyway I apologise for turning this topic political, should have chucked it in the rant thread not this one.  Mods delete as required.

Cheers
CB
2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2012, 12:09:03 AM »
None... and I hope nobody in my area does..
Magically, crime seems to follow some of those groups... those really dark dudes moved in our area, and *all of a sudden* the place is coated in graffiti tags... just coincidence.

Dunno, thinking about renting out my back room, could get about 15 in there I reckon.
$300 a pop,  4500 a week.

Just doing my bit for the country.

Good citizen that I am.

Lets see how many of the do gooders take em in.

Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Lets change tact.

This 15 year old scrote (old enough to know that a knife will kill someoene, why else is he carrying it?) murders a woman.

You can picture him on the day, he would have been 30 ft wide and made of titanium.. Now hes in court, the lawyer is and hs parents have told him to be all marshmallow soft, and sorry...

I hope the husband of the side repays the favour, and gives this little **** a "slight jab" (as he puts it to his mate on the phone) as well...
Theres no way he will get any time, or punishment, probably a "court based order" go clean some Shithouses for a week...

Why is everyone carryin a knife these days? What happened to hving a problem with someone, punch on 1 on 1 then walk away?

Im all an eye for an eye these days, never used to be when I was 3yrs old..

Im waiting for the backup defence fo Bad childhood, drugs, pissed, the voices, blah blah blah....

Knife just went in, says 15-year-old boy
A boy charged with stabbing a mother-of-three moments after egging her Melbourne home had told how the knife ‘‘just went in’’ after she ran toward him, a court has heard.

The 15-year-old boy is charged with unlawfully killing the Melbourne mother in the city’s north on July 3 last year.

The court heard the mother was stabbed while her husband and their 11-year-old daughter were nearby, after they had chased a group of youths who had just thrown eggs at their home.

A committal hearing in a Victorian Children’s Court heard the boy and three friends had been playing billiards when they decided to egg someone’s house.

The boy facing charges had suggested egging the woman’s house because he said he had been bullied by her son, the court heard.

One of the four youths, giving evidence yesterday, said they had thrown eggs at the house when they spotted the family in their car.

‘‘It looked like he wanted to run us over,’’ he told the court.He said he hid after backhanding and egging the 11-year-old girl when she got out of the car and grabbed at his leg.

When he telephoned his friend from his hiding spot, his friend had told him, ‘‘Bro, I just stabbed someone.’’

All four were then driven to the home of the youth facing charges by his older brother, who told the court he disposed of the knife in a lake.

In a statement to police tendered to the court, the youth who hid after the egging said the 15-year-old facing charges told him he gave the woman a ‘‘slight jab’’ after she came at him.

‘‘He was like, ’I just pulled a knife out, and she just ran straight to me, and it just went in,’’’ the youth said in his statement.

He told the court the stabbing ‘‘sounded like it was accidental’’.

He said his friend was in shock when he heard from media reports that the woman had died.‘‘He was just laying in bed like an absolute insane person,’’ he said.

The youth told police that when he saw the knife, the entire blade was covered in an orange liquid.

‘‘I was thinking to myself, ’It can’t be this deep,’ and then I realised it was blood,’’ he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/knife-just-went-in-says-15yearold-boy-20120507-1y94l.html#ixzz1uEEuFK7Q
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2012, 10:00:13 AM »
O.K I'll bite...
Don't believe all you hear on talk back radio or today tonight >:(

Benduro, you had me up till there, then your post went pear shaped!

It is amazing how all the 'Julia/Labour haters' have such very short memories  ::)
But it is the game of politics...completely blank your mind to what has gone before, & oppose the current party of the day, irrespective of who! 
Bob and Robyn

Offline Benduro

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2012, 07:47:35 PM »
All good guys... Cloud Basher, I too should have posted in the rant thread as I was probably equally frustrated ;D
Differing opinions is what makes the world go round it's just that some get more exposure than others and I worry that such a high percentage of the Australian population vote with little or no idea and based on misinformation  ???
If people are voting with an informed opinion then great as no matter what side of politics you are on it is this that ultimately will hold politicians and their parties to account.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »
This could be interesting

MONTREAL—An internal memo showing that Imperial Tobacco has known cigarettes to be deadly and addictive since the 1980s has been entered into evidence in Quebec’s $27 billion class-action lawsuit against Big Tobacco, despite repeated objections from the company’s lawyers.

In the memo, Bob Bexon, Imperial Tobacco’s former director of Marketing Research and Development, admits that the only thing keeping tobacco companies in business is the addictiveness of cigarettes.

“The only remaining ‘benefit’ of cigarette smoking is the psychological assist it provides in terms of stress reduction,” Bexon writes in the confidential memo.
If our product was not addictive we would not sell a single cigarette next week in spite of these positive psychological attributes.”

Bexon’s 10-page handwritten memo was sent as an update to senior management on “Project Viking,” an internal evaluation from 1986 to 1987 that sought to assess smokers’ health concerns. Imperial Tobacco lawyer Suzanne Côté had argued against the document being introduced as evidence on the grounds that it was not pertinent and based on hearsay.

“The crux of the problem is personal health,” Bexon writes. “Social unacceptability, passive smoking effects, price, aroma, after effects are all distant seconds to the key smoker’s concern that they are damaging their health — contributing to their own death.

Death is not the entire problem,” Bexon goes on. “The key health issue is lung cancer. Fear of cancer as much as fear of mortality with its public perception of slow lingering painful etc. (sic) is a real problem.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1175723--tobacco-company-knew-smoking-was-deadly-in-the-80s-memo-shows
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
Sorry I don't have a link.
Reading a story in the latest Open Road Magazine.
It is about how people put the wrong fuel type in the vehicles, thank God I have never done this,  8)
Anyway, a statistic that blow me away was that 8 out of 10 people that have done this, still start their vehicle and try and drive it, knowing they have put the wrong fuel in.
Why would you?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:41:11 PM by Hairs »

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »
Why would you?

Our vehicle fleet at work is about 60 vehicles, we get five or six a year incorrectly filled.

Thank goodness they all have fleetcards.  At least the console operator at the servo's can tell the drivers concerned that they have put the wrong fuel in, as each vehicle has a dedicated fuel type assigned to it.

Otherwise, the drivers concerned usually dont have a clue that have used the wrong fuel until they swipe the card.  They then get told "sorry, you cant put ulp on that card madam, its diesel only".

We have tried "Deisel Fuel Only" stickers on the fuel cap, inside the fuel flap, and on the outside of the fuel flap, it dont make any difference.

At least our LPG Falcons cant get the wrong fuel!!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:08:58 PM by Mace »
2009 Coromal 452

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2012, 09:10:02 PM »
G'day Mace,
Geez mate that would be a PITA.

"sorry, you cant put ulp on that card madam, its diesel only"
And the look on their face  :-[

"At least our LPG Falcons cant get the wrong fuel!!"  ;D

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
didnt realise one of our swaggers got about so much and was so interested in the arts!!

Cancan comes to Canberra:  ;D

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/art-and-design/cancan-comes-to-canberra-with-toulouselautrec-show-20120510-1yfon.html

2009 Coromal 452

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!