Author Topic: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY? 2012 edition  (Read 383170 times)

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: WHAT'S MAKING NEWS TODAY?
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 10:08:45 AM »
It can't be, and all the fan boys told me Macs don't get viruses  ;D

Some more reading ---> here  :P
Bob and Robyn

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »
In the online Sydney Morning Herald under world / strange but true:

A 43 year old exhausted man in Germany locked himself on an apartment balcony and called police because the women he was with was demanding  too much sex from him, and had barricaded the apartment door so he couldn't get out. The 43 year old male called police on a mobile phone, who then arrested the women for false imprisonment etc.

Some people are so lucky....

Story found on  smh.com.au/world/strangebuttrue

I love these stories when they pop up

Campfire  :cheers: :cup:

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2012, 07:03:28 AM »
Did they mention the address at all
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
http://www.theage.com.au/national/milne-fires-up-as-brown-quits-20120413-1wz3t.html

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Thanks for a tax that will cripple the enconomy and the country. I guess he knew his party will be decimated at the next election so he got out now.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2012, 07:28:51 AM »
Has anyone actually read the speech he made recently?  :-\ This link is to the Greens web site and his speech. http://greensmps.org.au/content/news-stories/bob-brown-delivers-3rd-annual-green-oration
I can't believe he was voted in by sane voters and has been paid heaps by us all, and imagine his super payout!

Maybe he was abducted by aliens some time back and they did nasty things to him and that is why he is a few politicians short of a cabinet?  8)
Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
Has anyone actually read the speech he made recently?  :-\ This link is to the Greens web site and his speech. http://greensmps.org.au/content/news-stories/bob-brown-delivers-3rd-annual-green-oration
I can't believe he was voted in by sane voters and has been paid heaps by us all, and imagine his super payout!

Maybe he was abducted by aliens some time back and they did nasty things to him and that is why he is a few politicians short of a cabinet?  8)
Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Had a good read of your link, kind of started out like " Long long ago in a galaxy far far away"

and the way its been written I kind of presumed it would end hours later with " may the force be with you"

I'm starting think that maybe old Bob is a Jedi Master.  Yet again I see a pattern emerging here , Master Jedi Yoda is green, and old Bob belongs to the Greens ( coincidence or not).

I think I will vote for the Dark Side next election.

Campfire

Offline taipan

• Swag User
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2012, 10:01:42 AM »
Hopefully people will wake up and vote out "Bob Brown's B**ch" at the next election.
Carbon tax won't make a blind bit of difference to companies, they will just pass on the cost to us poor mugs and viola, Labor has another slush fund.
Matt

90 Series Prado, Custom 7x5 Offroad trailer with Downunder Campers Tent

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2012, 12:02:47 PM »
Hopefully people will wake up and vote out "Bob Brown's B**ch" at the next election.
Carbon tax won't make a blind bit of difference to companies, they will just pass on the cost to us poor mugs and viola, Labor has another slush fund.

Totally agree x 2

I am a fan of Bobs favorites people, the shooters & fishers party.

I also work in Mining.

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
You will think Bob was an angel when you see what his replacement is really like. If you looked at her during the hand over she could hardly keep the grin of her face just thinking about all that power she now has.

Trevor

Offline taipan

• Swag User
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
Totally agree x 2

I am a fan of Bobs favorites people, the shooters & fishers party.

I also work in Mining.

You forgot all us 4x4 drivers  :angel:

I work in downstream gas industry (unfortunately don't get the huge bucks the guys on the rigs get)

You will think Bob was an angel when you see what his replacement is really like. If you looked at her during the hand over she could hardly keep the grin of her face just thinking about all that power she now has.

Trevor

My guess is she won't be there long, just have to wait for the next election.
Matt

90 Series Prado, Custom 7x5 Offroad trailer with Downunder Campers Tent

Offline davo69 and the Nurse

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • '07 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2012/04/18/oh-baby-jill-helps-dad-deliver-his-girl/

A good news article, featuring Jillsy!
Excellent work Jill!

the Nurse
get DIRTY

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
How kewl would this be to find.

The extraordinary plans to dig up the lost squadron were revealed this weekend as David Cameron visits the country.
Now, David Cundall, 62, of Sandtoft, near S****horpe, has spoken about his quest to recover the Spitfires and get them airborne.

Mr Cundall has spent £130,000 of his own money, visited Burma 12 times, persuaded the country’s notoriously secretive regime to trust him, and all the time sought testimony from a dwindling band of Far East veterans in order to locate the Spitfires.
Yet his treasure hunt was sparked by little more than a throwaway remark from a group of US veterans, made 15 years ago to his friend and fellow aviation archaeologist Jim Pearce.

Mr Cundall said: “The veterans had served in a construction battalion. They told Jim: 'We’ve done some pretty silly things in our time, but the silliest was burying Spitfires.’ And when Jim got back from the US, he told me.”

Mr Cundall realised that the Spitfires would have been buried in their transport crates.

Before burial, the aeroplanes would have been waxed, wrapped in greased paper and their joints tarred, to protect them against decay. There seemed to be a chance that somewhere in Burma, there lay Spitfires that could be restored to flying condition.

He was determined to find them. The first step was to place advertisements in magazines, trying to find soldiers who buried Spitfires.

“The trouble was that many of them were dying of old age.”

He visited Burma over and over again, slowly building friendly relations with the military junta that have for decades held power in the capital, Rangoon.

“In the end the minders trusted me so much they would let me hold their AK-47s while they ate the lunch I had bought them.”

And finally, he found the Spitfires, at a location that is being kept a closely guarded secret.

Mr Cundall said: “We sent a borehole down and used a camera to look at the crates. They seemed to be in good condition.”

Mr Cundall explained that in August 1945 the Mark XIV aeroplanes, which used Rolls-Royce Griffon engines instead of the Merlins of earlier models, were put in crates and transported from the factory in Castle Bromwich, in the West Midlands, to Burma.

Once they arrived at the RAF base, however, the Spitfires were deemed surplus to requirements. The war was in its final months and fighting was by now increasingly focused on 'island-hopping’ to clear the Japanese of their remaining strongholds in the Pacific. Land-based Spitfires, as opposed to carrier-based Seafires, did not have the required range.

The order was given to bury 12 Spitfires while they were still in their transport crates.

Then two weeks later, the first atom bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. The Japanese surrendered on September 2 1945.

It is possible that a further eight Spitfires were then buried in December 1945, bringing the potential total of lost Spitfires to 20.

Mr Cundall said that about 21,000 Spitfires were built, but at the end of the war very few were wanted.

“In 1945, Spitfires were ten a penny. Jets were coming into service. Spitfires were struck off charge, unwanted. Lots of Spitfires were just pushed off the back of aircraft carriers into the sea.

“On land, you couldn’t leave them for the locals – they might have ended up being used against you. It was a typical British solution: 'Let’s bury them lads.’ They might have planned to come back and dig them up again. They never did.”

To meet the £500,000 cost of the excavation Mr Cundall enlisted the help of Steve Boultbee Brooks, 51, a commercial property investor who also runs the Boultbee Flight Academy, in Chichester, West Sussex, which teaches people to fly on the two-seater Spitfire that Mr Brooks bought for £1.78 million in 2009.

Ground radar images showed that inside the crates were Spitfires with their wings packed alongside the fuselages.

The Britons now want to work to restore as many of the 20 Spitfires as possible and get them flying. If the project works, it will nearly double the number of airworthy Spitfires. There are currently only about 35 flying in the world.

Mr Cundall said: “We want to dig as many Spitfires up as we find.

“Spitfires are beautiful aeroplanes and should not be rotting away in a foreign land. They saved our neck in the Battle of Britain and they should be preserved.”

The final obstacle to recovering the Spitfires, however, is political: international sanctions forbid the movement of military materials in and out of Burma, and it was also feared the Burmese government would not allow any foreign excavations on their territory.

Because of the new, reforming stance of the Burmese government, it is likely some sanctions will be lifted after an EU review begins on April 23.

With the help of David Cameron and his visit to Burma, a deal is currently being negotiated and hopes are high that it will conclude with President Thein Sein of Burma granting permission for the dig.

Mr Brooks, who returned to his Oxford home on Saturday, after helping open negotiations with the Burmese authorities, said: “Our hope is that we can be digging them out in the next three or four weeks. Then the plan is to get as many of them flying as possible.

“They have been in the ground for more than 65 years, so it is not a case of taking them out of the crates, putting them together and flying them. There is a lot of work to do. We may have to use parts of many planes to make perhaps a couple airworthy.

“But if the crates didn’t get waterlogged, the Spitfires might be in pretty amazing condition. It’s also encouraging that they put teak beams over the crates so they wouldn’t be crushed by the earth when they were buried.”

Mr Cundall also raised the tantalising prospect that there may be more buried Spitfires out there.

“It’s possible there are other Spitfires buried around different sites in Burma. I have heard about 36 in one burial; 18 in another; 6 in another. And when they were buried, they would have been brand new, never taken out of the box.”

Mr Brooks, however, cautioned: “People have spent decades scouring the earth for Spitfires. If other aeroplanes are there, they may be very difficult to find.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/burma/9204921/British-farmers-quest-to-find-lost-Spitfires-in-Burma.html

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:44:38 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Roddersz

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2012, 11:56:05 PM »
How kewl would this be to find.

Little bit off topic, but this one has me wanting to head north for the winter with a metal detector lol!

http://www.brokenwings.com.au/index.htm - link is to a crowd doing a doco on it.

Cheers
Rod

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #113 on: April 30, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
WHAT THE ****
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahaha dont old people pay for blue pills each time for this result? ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A Californian motorcycle enthusiast has taken legal action after a bike seat gave him a 20-month erection.

Straight from the “only in America” files comes this – a Californian man is suing BMW North America over a seat that gave him a severe case of priapism (A persistent, lasting erection) that has lasted for 20 months.

Henry Wolf claims his 1993 BMW motorcycle, or more specifically the bike’s “ridge-like” seat, gave him a “severe case of priapism” when he took it for a four-hour ride on May 1, 2010, according to the Courthouse News Service.

Wolf is suing BMW North America and the seat’s manufacturer, Corbin-Pacific, in a product liability lawsuit in the California Superior Court in San Francisco, claiming the “negligent design, manufacture and/or installation of the seat” has caused the painful condition.
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/bmw-sued-over-bikeinduced-erection-20120430-1xty4.html
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline LJs GU

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • My Camel has 3 little humps...
    • The Jackson 5 On Tour
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »
Hmm anyone know if you can buy the bike over here?... and how quick could I get a bike licence?
LJ
I'm not so good with advice... can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
When is enough enough!!!
« Reply #115 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
he'd be on a zimmer frame by now wouldnt he?

Stallone works on fifth Rambo movie
Los Angeles
May 2, 2012

Sylvester Stallone is set to don his famed red headband once more, with the actor working on a fifth Rambo blockbuster.

The action star last reprised his role of the Vietnam veteran in 2008's Rambo, and he's revealed he's writing a draft for one final instalment for his classic character to give him a fitting send off.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/stallone-works-on-fifth-rambo-movie-20120501-1xwrv.html#ixzz1tcwj6WgO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
Well buggar me.
Commonwealth Bank cuts 40bp from borrowing rates
The CBA has dropped it's rate by .4%
Won't take effect until about the 11th.
Gotta be happy with that.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »
WTF is going on with all the job losses in the last month...
http://www.theage.com.au/business/truckies-terminated-as-1st-fleet-goes-under-20120503-1y018.html

How many 100,000 more to go before xmas??

I was thinkin of a career change.. but fawk that now... Not the time to lose/change ya job...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:56 PM »
WTF???

Families asked to take in asylum seekers, and be paid for it

The bleeding hearts should be doing it for $000
Bob and Robyn

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »
WTF???

And whats to stop the rip off's.
Some happy clapper was saying on the idiot box at lunch time, that the asylum-seekers are matched to people that are willing to put asylum-seekers up.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
WTF???

I suggest they are not even brought onto land... well not our land. We have enough of them.. there are countries in Europe that flat out refuse to accept ANY.. Why are we such a sponge...?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
Why are we such sponge's ?
Because it makes a few soft cocs feel like they've done some good.

Whats with all the job losses ?
A true reflection of the state of the Aussie economy, just wish the moaners would point there
fingers in the right direction ( Canberra )
Government needs to realize we can't all be employed as a poly or in a mine.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2012, 08:59:30 PM »
Bye bye aussie car industry and another 200,000 jobs.

Overseas report claims Commodore will move offshore – but when?

The Holden Commodore’s long-term export hopes to North America may have been dealt a blow – before the revival has even begun.

US website Car and Driver has made the sensational claim that production of the Commodore sedan, wagon and ute – and the Caprice limousine and police car – will shift to North America from 2015.

The website says localised versions of the cars will migrate to a new platform and “full production will shift to North America”.

However, this is at odds with recent reports that Holden is trying to revive a Commodore export program to North America as early as next year.

It would be highly unusual for Holden or any manufacturer to invest in an export program to last only two years.

Holden spokeswoman Emily Perry told Drive: “Stories like these are hugely speculative and try and piece together snippets of information and whispers about possible future global plans.

“We’re not going to add fuel to the fire, we haven't announced details about our own future models for the Australian market, so we're not in a position to confirm, deny or announce details about other markets either.”

Drive understands Holden’s export of the Commodore will go ahead as planned from next year – although the manufacturer is yet to confirm this – and the model will likely run for four to five years.

But who will build the Commodore from 2018 – when the all-new generation car is due – remains unclear.

The 2018 Commodore/Chevrolet SS could indeed be built in North America – and depending on currency and other factors the vehicle may be imported into Australia.

This would free Holden to build another, more popular model on its local assembly line. In April the Commodore posted its second-lowest monthly sales result on record.

Holden currently builds the Cruze sedan and hatch, as well as the full range of Commodore and Caprice vehicles.

But given the dramatic decline in large-car sales, Holden is likely considering what else it could build at its Adelaide factory.

Small cars and compact softroaders are the two biggest segments of the Australian market: could Holden build a future generation Captiva locally?

Holden recently received a new round of taxpayer assistance – $275 million from state and federal governments – to continue manufacturing until 2022. But it did not specify which vehicles it would build.

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »
Earn big dollars! The government will pay 300 a week to sponsor an asylum seeker. My pensioner mother and father never got that muc h money in a week. They worked all their lives. Come to Australia the lucky country!!! FED UP
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Fridge Magnet

• Tent User
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2012, 12:13:13 AM »
Can't speak for the rest of Australia, but the Sudanese in our neck of the woods seem to be pretty good people. They certainly fill the job vacuum that the local dole bludgers are unwilling to apply for, mostly at the abattoir. There are 4 Sudanese kids in the U/14 footy team that I coach and I would have to say that they are up there with the politest, hardest working kids on the team.

My wife works at the local hospital and has has x-rayed a few of these kids (and their parents), she asked the radiologist why their bones came up a funny shade of grey and he had to consult the text books to work out that it was rickets brought about by severe childhood malnutrition, they hadn't seen it before.

So just saying that while the pay per stay scheme outlined above may not be the best idea that there are good, hardworking people with a genuine reason to leave their country that can contribute to Australia as a whole (here at least). I'd happily exchange the 'Aussie' serial dole bludgers in town for more Sudanese.

A better program might be to send the 'long term unemployed' to Sudan for a bit, see how choosy they are about jobs then.

Call me a bleeding heart soft c@#k or whatever but I have no problem whatsoever with immigrants who are prepared to work hard and contribute to the local community.   
What would Barnaby do?