Author Topic: New to camper trailers - hello  (Read 3900 times)

Offline technogeekery

• Learning the Ropes
New to camper trailers - hello
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:24 AM »
Hi all - this forum is a fabulous resource, and I've spent far too much time trawling it already - and suspect I'll be doing a lot more. Thank you to all the contributors, it is exceptionally useful.

I've been camping all my life, mostly very lightweight camping in support of outdoor adventures, principally rock climbing. Graduated to car camping when I got married, but still very lightweight, 3 man tent and few luxuries. Then came kids, and the lightweight became middleweight (as did I...) and the Subaru Forester eventually became hugely overloaded with big tents, camp kitchens, awnings and all the requirements of comfortable remote camping for 5-10 days.

So we looked at getting a bigger mid-size 4x4, but the reality is you need to step up to full-size 4x4 to get a lot more internal and roof space than the Forester - and that is stretching the budget too far at the moment. Proper camping trailer is also outside the budget, so decided to buy a decent heavy duty box trailer, which we can option up and customise over the years into a proper camping trailer. I think this will be a good idea for us to work out exactly what we need & want through trial and error, at reasonable expense. Then once we know exactly what we want, we can save towards our perfect CT.

So stage 1 in this process is a new 7x4 heavy duty high side box trailer from Holiday Trailers in Sydney - very good value at $1200 with jockey wheel, spare wheel, two jerry can holders and a fitted PVC tarp, 40mm axle and 5-spring slipper suspension - very basic, but probably well enough matched to our softroading ambitions and Subaru. We are pretty slick insetting up our 8-man (very comfortable for 2 adults, 2 kids) semi-geodesic dome tent and have a huge (6mx3.4m) tarp awning as our leisure and cooking centre. The trailer then allows us to chuck in giant cooler (good for 5 days), diving / climbing / whatever gear, kayaks on the roofracks, bicycles on a hang-off rack on the back door, and adventures are go.

All pretty basic, but we've had 10-day holidays very comfortably just out of the car (witha mid-point replenish stop), so think the additional space the trailer will just mean more space for luxuries (i.e. beer) initially. And bit by bit we can add more refinements to the setup, as we feel we want / need them.

Cool - nice to be here  :D

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: New to camper trailers - hello
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »
Welcome to MySwag, sounds like a natural progression into more simpler camping with mod cons and the addition of kids and their stuff.

Enjoy your stay and ask away if you get stuck

GG

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 01:39:02 PM »
Welcome, there's plenty of info.
Plenty of fun too.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline ozstickman

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just Grinning
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:31:50 PM »
G'day. There are a few people here that have a box trailer to carry all there gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Don't complain! It could be worse, you could be six foot under or a brick of ashes!!
Our camper Barry - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31963.0

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 02:33:12 PM »
Welcome to myswag ;D

scarps

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »
Welcome guys and gals, great to have you onboard.

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 04:12:37 PM »
Welcome, I get where you are coming from, and see a lot of merit in your approach.  Your description of your adventures to date demonstrates well the principle of "less= more".
In terms of optioning up your trailer to a CT over time I suggest that you have a look at Dazzler's thread on the alternative to a Chinese CT. You can find the link to the thread in the signature line of any of his posts.
I pulled a basic side fold with my Subaru Outback, and it will even take the Heaslip on all-weather roads, however a bit small to get it where I want off-road, hence the Jackaroo.  I'm just I
Lucky to be in a position to run both cars.  Certainly LOVE my Subi.  ;D
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 04:50:30 PM »
If you think you have spent too long on here already, just wait :)

It only gets better, keep on reading.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

KingBilly

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
Welcome to myswag.  Enjoy your time on here

Happy camping
KB

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
Great to have your company mate. Any setup will do as long as it gets you out there :cheers:

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Jillsy

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 09:34:28 PM »
Welcome to Myswag!

Don't forget to post up photos in the relevant thread/s as you progress with your build  :cheers:

Offline technogeekery

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »
Thanks all - nice to be welcomed. Just got back from 10 days pulling the trailer through the Nymboida and Oxley Wild Rivers NP's - fantastic :-) Will move on to specific forums and post pics etc as well as my queries. Cheers

Offline Outbackdan

• Sleeping Bag User
  • The old rig (before kids and trailer)
    • outbackdan.wordpress.com
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
Nice work! We ran from a box trailer for a while. before ponying up for a CT late last year. It was a bit 6 or one 1/2 dozen of the other. in the end reducing the double handling of camping gear and a slightly quicker setup on the run steered us toward a CT, kook forward to the pics - haven't really explored down there much
OutbackDan blog
"..and if the traveller is fortunate....the destination is two miles father away for every mile he or she travels",G.Leonard