Author Topic: Newbie saying Hi  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
Newbie saying Hi
« on: September 10, 2011, 07:56:25 AM »
Hello to all

I am in the market for a camper trailer and after browsing this forum recently I am even more confused than ever as to what to buy?

First a bit of history I guess?? Last year I finally managed to convince the wife to go camping, we purchased a tent and headed to a beachside caravan park with all the facilities she needed like toilets and showers etc....... Next door to our site was a couple who turned up in their camper trailer while the young bloke & I were off having a fish and the wife was very impressed with the ease of the setup. I never actually got to catch up with them as the next morning while I was off catching some fresh squid for breakfast they moved on. Since this time we have been looking for a camper trailer and last weekend we flew over to Melb for the 4x4 show (also managed to slip in a couple of games of footy  ;D) where we checked a few out from the basic to the premium models.

Now for our first CT I am guessing the basic setup with the main tent and atleast one annexe will suffice? We looked at the Galtuff and EZY trail models which both looked pretty good value for buck at around the 6k mark with electric brakes, kitchen in the tailgate etc and looked pretty good to my eye. According to the guys I was talking to they are australian made (built in aus from imported steel I guess from reading a few other threads?).

I have shopped around here in tassie and the basic camper leaves little to any change from 10k so I have started looking second hand over here but I really dont know what to look for both structurally and with the tents? Can anyone advise a few basic things to look for  either the tent or trailer?

I have long service leave due in 18mths and would like to see if I can convince the wife to venture to the big sunburnt land (mainly on road I guess).

So hello to all and if anyone has any advice on what to buy either new or 2nd hand then post in here or PM me please

:cheers: Brutus

Offline ehsc

• FIRE EARTH MOON STARS THATS LIVING
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • JUST DO IT
Re: Newbie saying Hi
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum brutus and good luck with the search  :cheers: ehsc
2017 Isuxu D-max
2003 Jayco Freedom Outback

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
G'day & Welcome.

Don't be afraid to buy second hand, but it does help to know what you're looking for in a camper. I always say that ease of setup/packup is paramount, then whatever else is on your list, such as kitchen, water tanks, boat rack, electrical systems etc.

I'm not sure what options for hire you have in Tassie, but using a couple of different campers highlights the things that work well.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:12:40 AM »
Welcome to myswag Brutus, check out the for sale section here as there are some great campers for sale at the moment. Given you're in Tassie you might have to fly to MEL or ADL.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:15:16 AM »
Gday Brutus,

I think the search can be half the fun.
You'll get great info here. If there isn't a thread on a topic already just start one and you will get honest and probably very funny feedback.
Cheers  :cheers:

Offline graylyn

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Kendall River Barramundi
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »
Welcome Brutus.  I am sure any decision you make will be the right one.
The worst day fishing is always better than the best day at work.

2021 Isuzu d-max utility 3 litre
2012 Jayco Swan Outback
full 60 litre Engel

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »
Hi Brutus and welcome to My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

crackacoldie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 06:51:30 AM »
G'Day Brutus, have fun with the search, there are some great second hand, near new bargains out there to be had, just take your time and have a close look at them all.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brutus, I took the second hand market option and have been very happy with my purchase. There is a lot of good units around and some in the classifieds, good luck on your quest

GG

Offline Brutus

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 12:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I will spend the next few months checking the 2nd hand scene and hopefully find a bargain

Already planning a trip this summer, I just the need the camper to suit now ;D

Offline gowalkabout

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Walkabout 4WD & Camping Accessories
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
Welcome to the forum Brutus. you just missed the first tassie meet and greet which would have been good for you to check out a good range of campers. if your in hobart feel free to drop me a pm if you want to have a look at our camprite. it's a very solid build and even if out of your price range will give you a good idea on why some cost alot more than others. as already said there are some great bargins to be had on the second hand market and if it happens to be an interstate buy, well that just means you get to test it out on the way home  ;D
2007 Camprite TL8s
2012 Nissan Patrol GU8
Formally known as Tas130
www.gowalkabout.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/gowalkabout?ref=hl

Offline kiwimark

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 05:26:28 PM »
Hi there. We have just purchased a Galtuff Trailer, Rhino soft floor. It is our first Camper Trailer and it has all we need. Although it has no electrical system it gives us a chance to use it and decide how we want it to be. Good luck with the search and happy trails.