Author Topic: Camper trailer to buy?  (Read 3792 times)

anthony

Camper trailer to buy?
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »
Morning all,

After looking at this site and reading a few mags I think it is time I purchase my own.

After a few thoughts form you wise people.

Most of the time only one to 2 people to accomodate.  I do require a great free camp electrical/solor etc system for way out west travel.

Needs excellent offroad ability.

Plus secure whilst left alone.

I like the Trackabout Safari SV Extenda - you seem to get a lot for your money.

The Mountain Trail Escape looks great, it is $5,000 dearer though, and to my eyes less gear on board.

Then the Complete Campsite, Jabiru, similiar price to Trackabout, though a few less bits and pieces. Great look , electrics kitchen etc

What are your thoughts?    Thanks.  Anthony.

Chris F

Re: Camper trailer to buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
If it's mainly for only two people you can't go past a hard floor because they are so quick to set-up. There are hard floor campers for most budgets that are extremely capable off-road. Cub make great campers and their prices are very reasonable. Pioneer are also well priced, then you get into the more expensive ones like Aussie Swag, Australian Off Road Campers and Kimberly Kampers. There are many other brands too but these are the most popular.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 06:04:29 PM »
* Polite cough*
Two people? Excellent off-road ability? :)

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »
Come on GeeTee, you know it can't possibly have great off road ability unless it has shiny, red, independent trailing arms... ;D ;D ;D :D :-[ >:( >:D
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
If it's mainly for only two people you can't go past a hard floor because they are so quick to set-up.

x 2 ... And if you are willing to go second hand, you'll find some that have nothing left to do.  Not that their is anything wrong with a soft floor, I'm just terribly biased  ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Chris F

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
* Polite cough*
Two people? Excellent off-road ability? :)

You're too modest GeeTee.
Have a look here Anthony, GeeTee's campers are great for two people.
http://www.gtcampers.com.au/

anthony

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 02:14:08 PM »
Thanks for your comments. GT campers look OK but I am a traditionalist. So not for me.

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
i don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands you've mentioned.

go and hire one and try it out before hand and that will give you a good idea what you need, what you don't and what is just nice to have.
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »
Mrs T & I have progressed from swags, to box trailer full of gear, to Kimberley Kamper, to our current Australian Off Road Campers Quantum. We think the Q is the bee's knees, it'll go wherever we want, built like a brick outhouse, and 2 x 120 ah batteries, recharged by 2 80 watt roof mounted solar panels.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:15:16 PM »
Mrs T & I have progressed from swags, to box trailer full of gear, to Kimberley Kamper, to our current Australian Off Road Campers Quantum. We think the Q is the bee's knees, it'll go wherever we want, built like a brick outhouse, and 2 x 120 ah batteries, recharged by 2 80 watt roof mounted solar panels.

very nice units.. and more than double the price of the campers quoted above. (i've been shopping in Caloundra recently)
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

anthony

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »
Yes Qantum is a great unit.  I also like the Complete Campsite Exodus 14, at $77 big ones though I will need to work a little harder to get the extra cash.

The 3 I listed look the go. The trackabout may be the one. Plus they are local to look at so I may take the trip to Brisbane to have a look.   Thanks all for your comments.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks for your comments. GT campers look OK but I am a traditionalist. So not for me.

No worries, as long as you know I exist!

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 06:08:19 AM »
Hi anthony,

I have had my Trackabout for five years now and though it is not the extender , 4x4 deluxe , it has been to the tip via the telegraph track dragged around on some very tough bush tracks and been bounced along at a great rate along thousands of K's of corrugated dirt roads. This trailer and camper combination has been faultless and the only thing that has stopped me was a blown tyre .

Easy to set up/pack up, often set up/pack up on my own and altough I may be bias the Trackabout is one of the best camp trailers value for money spent on the market.

GO THE TRACKABOUT

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Reevo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 06:41:17 AM »
I agree with Silvo, go look at as many as you can and see if you can hire one (a dealer might let you take it overnight?).

I see Conqueror Australia also sell a Commander now, from what I can see it looks near identical to the UEV-490 but is only $40k fully optioned... That is cheap compared to the $70k+ 490 Evolution and Qantum, Kimberly etc....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBBDEhfHhc&list=UU7kdsgRWuraLQgYfavXwsKw&index=1&feature=plcp

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
Hi Anthony,
The extenda's are the go. The walkway makes is so much easier to get in and out of bed. More room for storage to if you need it.
We actually find ours a bit big now the kids are gone and will look at a hardfloor one day. I am at lennox if it want to look over a Complete Campsite. I can't recommend them enough. Had nothing but great service. Most of them have a hire partner. I know CC used to give you the hire money back if you went with them.
Good Luck
Renno