Author Topic: Mud Terrain Tyres ....  (Read 11238 times)

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
Mud Terrain Tyres ....
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
Hey Swaggers!

The time has come to start looking around for new rubber on the cruiser. Im would like to hear from people as to their opinions on mud tyres they have used. Im not into cheap knock off brands, and Im happy to spend a bit extra on quality tyres. I currently have goodyear wrangler MTRs, and being my second set, have been VERY happy with these. I am willing to look around to see what else is available tho. I do live in the country, so I see my fair share of muddy trails .....

So what are YOUR experiences?  Good or bad....

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Mud Terrain Tyres ....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:28 AM »
For what it is worth Im looking at 33inch tyres for my cruiser ute .......

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
BFG muds - depending on size can't get em but all reports suggest good wear and good in the bush, better on the bitumen than the old patterm
MickeyT MTZs - good reports but soft and wear quick
New MTRs - good reports but haven't been around long enough for long term results

If I was buying muds I'd go MTZ
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline fabulous

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »
I've had MTZ's and would highly recommend.
Our Camper

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=5261.0

Our Patrol

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=10214.msg152303#msg152303

Offline Ruffstuff

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 09:35:45 AM »
G'day Chippy
I have a set of 285/75/16 BFG Mud terrains on the cruiser & think they are great.
Previously had the BFG AT's but much prefer the MT's.
They are a bit noisier on the black top than the AT's but not what i would call loud. The only negative is i don't find them the best in the wet on the blacktop but alter my driving accordingly. they have a tendency to slide a bit more than what the AT's did.
I find them excellent in rock, sand & mud.
Cheers,
Mark
Warning: This Post May Contain Traces of Nuts!!! :)

80 series Landcruiser, DTS Turbo, Cross Country Intercooler,  3"exhaust, 33" BFG MT, locked, Lifted & gadgetised
2005 Trak Shak

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
At the moment I have BFG KM2s on mine, they just a brilliant tyre on and off road, on road you would swear you didn't have mud tyres on, they are that quiet it's amazing.

Only one downside, they wear pretty fast, I've done about 40,000ks and they are just about stuffed, I reckon I might be able to stretch them out to 50,000ks, if I'm lucky.

I think that forgetting to add the spare into the rotation, has added to the extra wearing of the tyres, still we are going with them again, this will be the first time I've gone with the same tyre again.

Previous muds were Maxxis Bighorns, a good tyre, but boy are they loud and they get louder as they wear!!!!!

Baz.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:57:39 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline offroadfreq

• Tent User
  • My First Patrol....... Long time ago.....
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
On my Patrol I have a set of Federal mud tyres size 285 75 r16.
Before you dismiss them, these are my 5th set of mud tyres, I have had BFG's (x2), Mickey T, GT Radials and now after a lot of too and frowing  ;D I took the plunge and and bought the federals.
Since putting them on before Christmas I have traveled around 15,000 K's, this has been thru Bathurst then up to Brisbane and back via as much dirt and back roads as possible, towing a CT (approx 1500kgs). I also spent Easter down at Yalwal.
They have done everything I have asked, air down/bag out well, gripped on sandy rocks, mud and wet bitumen much better than I had thought they would.
I believe that you would be very surprised by how good they are.
I will definitely be buying these from now on and at $275 a tyre fitted I will also be saving money as I do. :cup: :cup:

I work in the commercial air conditioning field so I do not and have never worked or have any association with Federal Tyres. ;D

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:54:54 AM »

Previous muds were Maxxis Bighorns, a good tyre, but boy are they loud and they get louder as they wear!!!!!

Baz.

How do bighorns wear? they dont look too bad?

One thing for everyone to consider if you do a lot of off rd work is these tyres cop an absolute hiding. Down the high country this year dragging the caper the tyres were constantly spinning on sharp rocks with only 24 pounds in them and we never had an issue, the tyres look pretty stuffed though. This is where brands like BFG shine. There is more to the tyre than just the tread pattern

These tyres have done about 3500km with about 1000 on tar
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 10:03:04 AM by darren »
Living the Dream.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
At the moment I have BFG KM2s on mine, they just a brilliant tyre on and off road, on road you would swear you didn't have mud tyres on, they are that quiet it's amazing.
+1. We've only had them on for about 10,000kms now, but I love them. They're wearing well so far. Over the weekend I noticed that one has picked up a slow leak, but I've not had time to have a look at it to see what's wrong. Potentially I've picked up a nail, or have some mud in the bead.

Previously had a set of Maxxis AT's, and they were good too. I expected the KM2's to be louder and skatier on road, but so far I've been very impressed.

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
How do bighorns wear? they dont look too bad?

One thing to consider if you do a lot of off rd work is these tyres cop an absolute hiding. Down the high country this year dragging the caper the tyres were constantly spinning on sharp rocks with only 24 pounds in them and we never had an issue, the tyres look pretty stuffed though. This is where brands like BFG shine. There is more to the tyre than just the tread pattern

These tyres have done about 3500km with about 1000 on tar

The Maxxis weren't to bad for wear, probably around 5000ks better than the BFGs overall, but the KM2s did cope better with chipping in the terrain of the High Country and other places we have been, they were much better than the Maxxis in this regard, I think the sacrefice of 5000ks in wear for a tougher tyre is a good compromise and I reckon they were better for grip as well, and this is why we are going with them again.

The Disco is pretty hard on tyres, I think it's something to do with Traction control, once the ECU senses slip, the traction control kicks in and you get sudden grip and on tracks with sharp rocks, it can tear big cuts in the tryes, the BFG KM2s seemed to have coped alot better than previous tyres.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 10:13:33 AM »
Thanks for that. The bighorn price is getting closer to KM2's now there getting more popular too
Living the Dream.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:48:27 AM »
Thanks for that. The bighorn price is getting closer to KM2's now there getting more popular too
Kumho KL71 - biggest selling tyre in NZ.. Love mine @$245 for a 285x75 :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline AussieBob

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
Had BFG AT's for many years, they were very good, changed to BFG Muddies (on new car when purchased) found these are even better. They stick like glue to the bitumen (when dry), and dirt/ gravel, and wear very well.
Noise on road not much more than the AT's.
Have a cousin who owns a tyre place in Kununurra and he commented that the BFG muddies are made with a harder compound than the AT's.... As an aside, he finds the tyre business in 'K' very busy!!

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »
Had BFG AT's for many years, they were very good, changed to BFG Muddies (on new car when purchased) found these are even better. They stick like glue to the bitumen (when dry), and dirt/ gravel, and wear very well.
Noise on road not much more than the AT's.
Have a cousin who owns a tyre place in Kununurra and he commented that the BFG muddies are made with a harder compound than the AT's.... As an aside, he finds the tyre business in 'K' very busy!!
Is it the tyre power your cousin works at? I picked up a new 2nd battery from there last year before heading down to the Bungles and into the Kimberleys.

Rich

On the tyre topic, I have run 3 sets of MTZ's all no good after 42k, worn out.
BFG KM1, 70k.

Cheers
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline AussieBob

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:03:08 PM »
Is it the tyre power your cousin works at? I picked up a new 2nd battery from there last year before heading down to the Bungles and into the Kimberleys.

Rich

BFG KM1, 70k.

Cheers

Rich, Yes

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
Some interesting points here ..... Seems the BFG muddies are getting a good rap! Funny thing is that 7 years ago when I put my first set of muddies on the cruiser, the BFGs ran a very close second. Might be worth checking out again.
Altho, I have to state for the record that I have so far got about 60k out of each set of wranglers. And they are pretty good in the wet onroad too!

Offline yakodi

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
Maxxis bighorns just picked up 6 x 275x70x17 for the Patrol at $320 per tyre fitted, balanced, alignment...
Purchased in central Australia. the 285's were $380 fitted. Quite a bit cheaper than the BFG KM2 muds at $530 per tyre fitted and $480 for the Mickey Thomsons MTZ.
Cheers

- these are all central Aust prices, probably differ somewhat compared from the east coast...

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »

Rich

BFG KM1, 70k.

Cheers

Rich. You need to stop using them then  ;D

Not sure what to expect really. I got mine for the big Aus trip and wanted some thing tough as bots and the MTZ are. We got 52K out of the first set and as many have, on the harshest roads Aus can dish up. I'm happy with them and on my second set which will be stuffed by the time I get back from the Cape this year. Not sure what I will do next
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 03:35:44 PM »
Kumho KL71 - biggest selling tyre in NZ.. Love mine @$245 for a 285x75 :)

Lost,

can you give us a bit more info on the kumho's.

How many k's have you done with them?, a guess at hopw long you think they will last?
How do you use them? Rocks, mud, touring etc?
How do you find the dirrectional tread? What do you do for a spare?

Sorry for all the questions, my MTZ's are just about done and I am not very happy about how they have lasted and am looking at alternatives.

Cheers, Craig
Cheers, Craig

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »
How many k's have you done with them?, a guess at how long you think they will last?
Got about 30,000 on them and lots left - probably 75% at least left (to be honest, I havent taken much notice of them for several weeks, as I have Corolla for day car now - but that pic was a club trip few weeks ago).
I won’t expect 100,000 out of them – (I’ve never got that out of any tyre!), but they aren’t $350/500ea
These are by far the best Mud tyre I’ve used in the wet on the road - comparing to BFG MT and BF KM1, and MTR's which says something.  I had 4 sets of them on 2 cars!

They are still quiet today, obviously a little more noise than when new, every tyre does that once the square edge wears off, but very acceptable.

How do you use them? Rocks, mud, touring etc?

Yes to all. These are my only tyre, I gave up on swapping MT's for Simex etc.
I've done Flinders with them, Robe, High Country and very very happy with them as well as daily driver to work for months... I’d buy them again.
I've only had one moment where they slid in the bush, was on a track with water running down it up Marysville few mths ago, the ground was slimy and they slid a bit sideways when i gave it shat to get up a hill.

How do you find the directional tread? What do you do for a spare?

I don’t notice it. I’m due for a rotation, so will have them ripped off rims and turned around – thats the pain with them.
I have another KL71 for spare - not ideal, but havent had to worry yet! :)

Sorry for all the questions, my MTZ's are just about done and I am not very happy about how they have lasted and am looking at alternatives.
No problems, tyres are too important not to look into them.

I'd rate them 8.5/10.

Plenty more info from other users here and photos on them.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/tyres-wheels-38/tyre-topic-kumho-kl71-29061/
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/tyres-wheels-38/
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/538927-post11.html

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 05:57:41 PM »
MTZ's for me  ;D Im rapt with them.

Lets face it, the main reason we buy Mud Terrain tyres is for offroad grip and the M/T's do the Job magnificently. Have driven on many different brand Muddy's and as much as most people say 1 is better than the other the reality is they are only really designed for 1 thing.
An aggressive and chunky tyre is NEVER going to be quiet or a brilliant performer on the black stuff in the wet.
MTZ's and KM2's, very similar performer on and off the road and from what i can see are on par with each other as far as wear goes.
Its always going to be a mixed bag because what works for 1 person, may not work for you. Too many variables.

My suggestion is try and find someone who has them on and go for a drive, that might help you in choosing a brand  :cheers:

Cheers BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline V8ute

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »
G'day Chippy,
      I nave a set of BFG KM2's on my V8 cruiser ute, I work onsite as a chippy, tow a big work trailer loaded to the hilt, and by no means am i easy on the gas pedal and my tyres just passed 85000 k's. i admit i regulary rotate and constantly check pressures.
They will still last another 10000 yet, but they are noisy and no grip in the bush.
           Cheers
                  V8ute :cheers:
08 Cruiser ute, 10 Outback Eagle.
Loaded ready to roll

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 07:18:36 PM »
I use the Maxxis Bighorns. They are cheap, brilliant in the mud and rocks and decent on the beach. I've done 20,000km on my set so far and they have hardly worn. I would expect to do in between 100,000 and 120,000km if they continue to wear like they do. I do take care of mine well though - slow around corners, limited wheel spin when off road and they are rotated every 5,000km

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »
Im not overly concerned about road noise. I realise they will ALWAYS be noisier than road tyres. My interest is  really in how they handle , on and off road. And how they wear. I know we dont buy muddies to drive on road, however I dont want to buy a set of tyres that are down right scary on the black top.

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 08:07:02 PM »
I love the Wrangler MTR's if you can still get the old tread pattern, although i'm not too keen on the new improved MTR's. I run the old ones on my cruiser ute and am on my second set now. First set got me 60000km (not much tread left i'll add), with alot of highway use. I chased pigs alot when living at Cunnamulla and being a lazy bugger, i drove to all pigs and still haven't had a flat tyre since going to the wranglers. Although i will say the new super tread pattern doesn't seem to wear too well on the work utes.
One i won't recommend would be Coopers, i haven't seen them since used in Cunnamulla, but that's enough to turn me off. Punctured easily and with a load on in hot conditions blew out regularly. Others i speak to love them though.
Each to their own i guess
Listo