Author Topic: Tyre deflators - why??!!  (Read 9641 times)

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Tyre deflators - why??!!
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:58 PM »
TEST JUST COMPLETED

1 minute 33 seconds - v - 15 seconds   (305/70R16 (33") tyre from 30psi to 20psi)

You can do the sums on six tyres.

Hope this gives you some idea of the speed.

I'm impressed GD, that's dedication to the cause!  :D

1.33 seems ages, but I'm on 265's which probably speeds things up. Will have to time mine one day. So at the end of the day it's a speed thing.

Hmm, reckon I could have a stubby airing down while you drive ahead and scout the track... ;D

Cheers,

Slow Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 09:43:57 PM »
ARB donated a tyre gauge to me at a 4wd club meeting and it was pretty good but when deflating tyres I was always the slowest when out with a group.  ARB then saw fit to donate a deflator to the worthy cause that is my tool kit when we did a tour through the factory so now have both.  The deflator is certainly way quicker than the other methods I used previously.

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline albany_nomads

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dylan..Mans best friend
    • John Grant Photography
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 10:30:56 PM »
Kind Regards: John, Nola & Dylan (The Albany Nomads )

MY BLOG:   http://johngrantphotography.wordpress.com/

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »
I agree, what is the big hurry, for pure ease, a set of stauns with each set at a different pressure and coded using colour paint as such, screw it on walk away.  So what if you have to use the same defaltor on all four or six wheels, time to strech the legs grab a drink and check the car and rig over.

This works if you are only using a few pre-sets and I suppose lots do and then fine tune from there. As I make my preasure decisions bassed on where I am at the time I can go from 20 up front to 28, it's just so hard to tell until your there. I did try the Stauns but just couldn't trust it. This was 5 years ago, maybe they are better now.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 11:32:08 PM »
I had 3 sets of Stauns (don't ask!) and the ARB deflator. Only the ARB deflator gets used these days  :cup: YMMV

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 05:57:35 AM »
Same as the captain.

Does anybody want a set of Stauns?

Grant

Offline Ruffstuff

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
I have both the ARB Ezi Deflator and a set of Stauns, I actually prefer the stauns.
I usually just screw them on  the valves and start driving letting the tyres deflate as i go, then when i stop the next time i take them back off, I've never had them fail or come loose
Warning: This Post May Contain Traces of Nuts!!! :)

80 series Landcruiser, DTS Turbo, Cross Country Intercooler,  3"exhaust, 33" BFG MT, locked, Lifted & gadgetised
2005 Trak Shak

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
+1 vote for the red ARB deflator. Have never used Stauns, so can't comment on them, but I like the ARB one.

I've been meaning to get one of the blue gauges for airing up. Currently I just use the standard air chuck that came with the compressor kit, and while it does the job, it means having to carry a separate gauge. So currently I'm relying on a not-very accurate cheapy slide gauge. I'm thinking the blue one might be a good investment.

I'd never thought to use the blue gauge as a deflator though. Might be good for times when you don't want to go to the trouble of unscrewing a valve stem for just a small adjustment (IE, airbags). Thanks for the tip Cam!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »
I let mine down with a stick or small stone....
But then again I don't even own a GPS only paper maps. I think I need to move on with technology  8)

It does take a while to let the 285's down so maybe it could be a tyre deflator for this fathers day present  ;D

:cheers:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:19:40 PM by GU Rich »
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2011, 12:25:41 PM »
I'm with GU RUch - closest stick or stone does the job for me.  I time how long it takes in letting the air out eg 5 psi at 30sec, get that one right, then do the same time on the others, and check it against my TPMS.  Works for me.

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 01:04:09 PM »
Hey Gunna how do you find the ARB deflator, I'm wary of unscrewing the valve everytime I want to drop the pressure.

Interesting that you should make that point as my 4x4 mechanic, while demonstrating it to me, actually did unscrew the valve too far, dropped it on his shop floor and we all had a search for it.

That had me thinking what if that was me out there with vultures slowly circling. YIKES!!!  ???

So I've practiced as often as I can in the safety of my backyard and I'm pretty sure that those birds won't get a feed off me.  :-*

Cheers - Wayne
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
Interesting that you should make that point as my 4x4 mechanic, while demonstrating it to me, actually did unscrew the valve too far, dropped it on his shop floor and we all had a search for it.

That had me thinking what if that was me out there with vultures slowly circling. YIKES!!!  ???

So I've practiced as often as I can in the safety of my backyard and I'm pretty sure that those birds won't get a feed off me.  :-*

Cheers - Wayne
Your mechanic needs to learn how to use one as used right, there is no way the valve can come out of the brass peice thats screwed onto the valve. He must have screwed the hole thing off while undoing the valve.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 01:17:51 PM »
prior to my deflator i would remove the valve in the scrub, use my gauge on it as it was going down then quickly screw the valve back in when it was close. I alwas thought i would lose the valve but never did. The deflater is just easy
Living the Dream.

Online Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
deflators
- ferret by lightyears. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc_hV1dgHW4 http://www.ferretdeflators.com/

my ARB one fell apart (although it was a freeby)
Stauns - most overrated rubbish made... mine are as far as I could throw them off Craigs Hut hill

Cant beat the TJM Twig off the ground for reliability.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
I bought a set of presettable deflators the other day for $65 and they gave me a 9000 Kg snatch strap for free... I thought that wa a good deal !!

Evil-bay link - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190509689888&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:AU:1123

Haven't used any of them yet  :-[ :-[

Gotta get out more ...

:cheers: :cheers: :cup: :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:04:12 PM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »
I own a ferret tyre deflator - a local WA guy machines them up. They are good, but a bit of a pain without having a gauge. However, most people run the same pressures so you just need to work out how many seconds to deflate your tyres for. It is a lot faster than a stick or stone - I'd rather preserve my knees!

In saying that, i'd take an ARB one - just more convenient.

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia