Author Topic: Jerry Can on roof (laid down)  (Read 14804 times)

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
Jerry Can on roof (laid down)
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »
All

I'm looking to take extra fuel away on our easter extravaganza, but the glamper only has room for 1 jerry can on the drawbar. I was considering carrying another jerry of diesel laid flat (on its side, so it's only about 6" high) on the Patrol's roofrack. any problems with that as a plan? the seals on the jerry seem to be OK (at least no fuel leaked out when i laid it on it's side for a while), but i'm not sure how they'll hold up to 3000km of driving (albeit mainly on bitumen).
Jon

CRD TD42TI Patrol - Ultimate Xtrk TBD

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
Re: Jerry Can on roof (laid down)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
should be ok but just wondering how the seals will go once the tank is out in the sun for a while and it heats up? maybe test it out in the sun before you go.
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
From the Rhino site
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Alloy-Tray-Accessories_Page_2_Accessory_Jerry-Can-Holder---Horizontal_501_73.aspx

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »
From the Rhino site
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Pioneer-Alloy-Tray-Accessories_Page_2_Accessory_Jerry-Can-Holder---Horizontal_501_73.aspx

i've seen a few similar to that one (i think someone does a double one) - but i actually wanted to lay it down on the large flat to reduce wind resistance.

should be ok but just wondering how the seals will go once the tank is out in the sun for a while and it heats up? maybe test it out in the sun before you go.

I did wonder about it heating up and expanding (although diesel should be less prone than petrol?)
Jon

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
My philosophy regarding the use of jerries is simple....

1. Only fill it with fuel on the legs that you need extra diesel. Saves the weight and possible leaks if stored for ages unnecessarily.
2. Empty the jerry  as soon as possible on the leg that you need the fuel - maybe at the morning coffee stop. As soon as there is room in your main tank, get the jerry contents into it. The same advantages as point 1. exist

An empty can will expand and so forth but is not going to leak if it does not contain liquid in it.

Its a bugger Nissan don't put a bigger auxiliary tank in the thing.. its such a big vehicle... and there is heaps of room under the chassis.

If extra fuel is needed often, its worth looking at a bigger array of tanks from Long Ranger or the like as there is no doubt that Jerry can use has many disadvantages
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline john c

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
The photo with the can on its is back is the best way to carry on roof rack then use a ratchet strap up and over to stop it falling over. The little wind resistance it will create will be minimal especial compared with the mess and possibility of pant or rubber damage if it leaks diesel on your roof. I have carried them this way over some of Australia’s worst roads with no problems, (usually have 2x jerry cans strapped together). Have a great trip over Easter John C           

Offline Rowanb

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
The photo with the can on its is back is the best way to carry on roof rack then use a ratchet strap up and over to stop it falling over. The little wind resistance it will create will be minimal especial compared with the mess and possibility of pant or rubber damage if it leaks diesel on your roof. I have carried them this way over some of Australia’s worst roads with no problems, (usually have 2x jerry cans strapped together). Have a great trip over Easter John C           
[/quote

X2 Im in the process of making something similer.]
Row and Shaz.
Hubby and Wife team

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Jon, if you are worried about haing it on the roof you could grab another jerry can holder from Jayco, they sell them with ubolts welded on so they are a simple bolt on fit to your rear bumper.  I don't think they are cheap though around $90 from memory for the pressed galvanised type (I think you have the same one on your drawbar).

2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline theflyingbadger

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »
i s'pose i could always stick one in the front boot of the jayco either. I'd just have to shuffle where i stick the crap i normally carry in there..
Jon

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:02:15 AM »
And you'll only have it full for 150 odd k's.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:34 AM »
Hi theflyingbadger,
I have often lelt jerry cans full of diesel laying on their side in the back of me 73 g60 nissan ute, and as for the seals holding up , well i dont tie the jerry cans down just let them slip and slide all over the place and i have not had a seal fail yet.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 07:37:09 AM »
You would be better off with the black plastic ones. They leak less. I normally carry my spare engine oil in a small one of those strapped down on the roof.
As stated only fill it when you need it and empty asap and you will be ok
Living the Dream.

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
I normally carry my spare engine oil in a small one of those strapped down on the roof.

Have you fited the cruiser with 1970's Triumph engines?
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »

Or any engine made in England...
Living the Dream.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
Hey TFB,

Before we had the camper, or when we don't take it for whatever reason, we do exactly what you're proposing with red plastic jerries full of petrol. They lie down flat on the roofrack, pointing forward. I strap them down tightly with a pair of ratchet straps, and they've always been fine. As a bonus, I find people don't follow as closely when you've got two petrol bombs tied precariously to the back of your roof rack.  ;D

Seals have always been fine for me, and I've never had any issues with them expanding in the sun or leaking, but these being the plastic ones can balloon up a bit - the metal ones might be more prone to leaking if they can't expand themselves? Dunno - I've only got the plastic ones - I figure the less weight up top the better.

When travelling I prefer to keep the jerries full until I can empty them completely and leave them open for a while to vent - my theory is that a full jerry is much less likely to be a fire hazard than an empty one full of fumes. But that's probably more relevant to me with petrol than it will be to you with diesel. I agree with albyback that it's better to have the fuel in the car's tank instead of perched up high in a secondary container (that's probably poorly secured - see above).When on Moreton we used the full jerries at camp to tie off the guy ropes for the tent window flaps and things like that - it's handy having a 20kg movable anchor.

Good luck, and enjoy your time away!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 02:40:08 PM »
Or any engine made in England...

In the 50's and 60's, Triumph allowed small engine leaks as a chassis preservation system. My newest Triumph TR was built in 1964.
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »
I'll throw a curve ball in here, this discussion was brought up at a Workcover meeting I attended a couple of weeks ago, bare with me on this.

Placing objects on a roof rack, simply put, 1/.Do not exceed the manufacturers limits for the roof rack...plus 2/. Do not exceed the vehicle manufacturers limits for tare weight to be carried on the roof...including the weight of the roof rack.

Example
So if you have a roof rack that can carry say 100kg, the Vehicle manufacture only allows 80kg max (gross) on the roof and the roof rack itself weighs 30kg, so technically you can only carry on that vehicles' roof items to the weight 50kg, eventhough the roof rack can take 100kg.

It was brought out in this meeting, that roof design on the latest models of 4x4's has ridgitity of the roof more incorporated into the glass design /placement, than the thickness of the pillars, which by the way is slowly being addressed by the ADR's over the next couple of years.
It was also brought out, that going over rough ground can compound the weight / stress on the roof, plus lifting down a hevy objects from that height to the ground may cause difficulties.

Workcover...what can I say.