Author Topic: Whats your funniest ANIMAL moment while camping  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
Whats your funniest ANIMAL moment while camping
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
As the title says, lets hear some funny encounters of the furry/slithery kind..........
We have quite a few stories to tell, mainly with dingoes.
Kakadu in 2004, I woke to the sound of something crunching, unzipped the tent as quitely as I could and flicked the torch on to find a scanky old dingo having a feed on our weetbix...that someone forgot to put away.
Or same trip at Adelaide river, we spotted a huge python not far away from our tents(parents came along on this trip) and mum being terrified of snakes was freaking out. About one in the morning she had to visit the toilet and wanted dad to go with her but he told her not to be silly and just go. So she headed off(near in tears) torch firmly planted on the ground looking for the python, when she whacked her head on a low hanging branch and layed her self out flat on her back. Then the screams and tears started. Funny now, she didnt think so at the time.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Whats your funniest ANIMAL moment while camping
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
This is one of many
Small | Large

There are some naughty words!!

Baz.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 11:36:09 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »
While camping at Buchan  as kids we had a nice fire at night and decided to toast some marshmellows which was great, about halve way through the bag found we had a curious little Friend watching from the shadow's. Turns out a local possum approved of our arrival and we soon discovered he liked toasted marshmellows. Judging from his size i think he suffered from a sweet tooth, and only scored a couple of our marshmellows which was quite entertaining to watch. What we didn't know was Mr possum was on a recce. After turning in for the night and getting about an hours sleep was woken by the sound of our styrene esky being clawed apart, Guess who. Mr possum the sugar Nazi had found his way under the draft skirt of the tent and now sprung didn't like the attention of the torch and was not a happy camper. After several laps of the tent he found his way out, but didn't look to pleased. We suffered random attacks throughout the rest of the night, good fun as a kid , but don't think my perant's were as joyed by the nights entertainment..  
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Variflex

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 12:40:06 PM »
I was doing a trip to the Cameron Corner and stopped at a CP in Nyngan for the night, whilst setting up the tent I had an emu come over and watch me set up, when hammering the pegs his head was going side to side with the movement of the hammer.

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Many years ago we came back to our camp site at LCMP and found 2 horses in the neighbouring peoples camper. :cup: :cup:
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline mystq

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
The wife when she gets hungry :angel:
Eat Sleep Camp Repeat

Offline RichardW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Out and About from North Rocks, Sydney
    • Profile and Images
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »
Tome Price Caravan Park.

Yalwal.

Wasn't camping but it was in Royal National Park last weekend.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 05:51:02 PM by RichardW »
Richard
2005 Landcruiser TD100 & Wallaby Hard Top Camper Trailer
Profile and Images

Offline Adds

• The Bush Beckons
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
Many years ago my wife and i were back packing well car packing in africa and were camped at a place called Mana pools on the Zambizi river. We went out for a game spotting drive and came back to find our tent flattened. The campers next door said a tribe of baboons undid our zips and pulled all our stuff out sleeping bags matts clothes everything looking for food. When they did not find any they jumped on the tent and flattened it. Our mates tent was ripped as they couldn't open his zipper. That night we were visited by a massive elephant who wandered through the camp and stopped next to our little 2 man tent. These things are massive when seen in the low light of a camp fire at about 15 feet away only separated by the length of our car. It reached up as high as he could to get nuts out of the Mopany tree we were camped next to and proceded to let out the biggest fart i have ever heard. After we had stopped rolling around on the ground we followed it up a track at it was checking out all the other camp sites seeing what everyone was having for dinner, freeking out several unsuspecting punters. Africa is an awesome place to go. Adds

"O what a feeling"

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »
Friends of Mrs T & I, pre kids were camping at a location I've long forgotten.  After a midnight interlude, Gertrude took a pee not too far from the tent and returned to bed.

Next morning, whilst sat in their chairs reading, an amorous emu approached Hans, down on heels, and with a wicked glint in HIS eyes.  Now I've never seen an excited emu to know but Hans & Gertrude assure me that this emu had carnal thoughts and Hans the intended victim was only saved from a mounting because Ernie-the-Emu got a couple of toes caught either side of a guy-rope and couldn't proceed.

Gertrude had been rendered speechless by the approaching emu and only Ernie's entanglement with the guy-ropes alerted poor Hans.

Later that same afternoon, enjoying a late nap, Hans & Gertrude were awoken by a large Kangaroo, obviously also in an amorous mood.  Skippy had managed to get between the fly & the tent before the excitement was too much for him and he left a deposit on the tent, the outside fortunately.

I think Hans & Gertrude (names changed to protect the not so innocent) have learned not to spread post coital pheromones so close to their tent!    >:D
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:08:30 PM »
was camped at Burrows Water Hole in Sundown National Park many years back with some friends, one of whom was born in Liverpool / England and not really done the whole camping thing previously. sitting around the fire at night and everywhere else pitch black, we heard an animal being killed by another down by the creek, this thing was screaming out like you wouldn't beleive. we tried to calm our pommy friend who was freaking out over the whole event, to the point where he went to bed that night with the axe because he was so scared.

camped up at Chili Beach in FNQ and a group of us sitting around the fire once again, we all heard something racing through the bushes towards us and everyone saying what the heck (or words to that effect ...lol) is that coming at us. out of the darkness a pig races through the middle of our campsite and quickly disappears into the bushes on the other side once again.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 07:33:29 AM »
Africa is an awesome place to go. Adds

not sure about the funniest, but the closest.......
Botswana camping in1984,
heard lions roaring all night, footprints of a single lion through the campsite the following morning

cheers
Garry

Offline pommiedic

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
Camping in Kenya in 98, a disturbance in the middle of the night awoke me from my slumber, grabbed torch, pulled down tent zip to be confronted a hippo taking a dump right outside the tent, sprayed it all over the tent!  A herd was passing thru our site; I nearly joined the hippo in taking a midnight dump :)
Why is the 1st Tea of the day the best?

Gonewalkabouts

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »

Getting chased through the bush on a hunting by an emu when pig hunting, I'm in full flight with a shotgun whilst getting chased ( Emus are a protected native species, which can't be shot) thinking I must have accidentally walked into it's personal space when tracking a decent size wild boar with good tusks

The pig I was tracking got away, and I got away from the emu

So everything was in balance I guess,

Gonewalkabouts

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:22:04 PM »
One time over Xmas holidays my friends set up camp on the beach to escape the mozzies in the dune area, but just before midnight they felt like the tent being pushed sideways and sand being flicked everywhere.

Like expected the kids start crying and the mother is all panicky, so the Father ventures outside with a fishing rod holder as protection only to find a turtle digging a hole under the actual tent to burry her eggs.

Offline Red Dog 4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
We went to Texas QLd, for the Texas 250 off road race, good weekend but a bloody big drive for a week end. But on the Saturday both of my girls ( thay are our kids to us ) were buggered and this is the result.

Recently thought we were up at golden beach and my the little one was running around with my sisters dog (5 month old border Collie ) runding her up, my dog went to pick up a 'stick' that was a dog poo....she stoped in her tracks, every body in the park was laughing but it didn't stop here from running around like and fool.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:37:12 AM by Red Dog 4x4 »

The Rig- 97 GQ Coil Cab with lots of goodies
The Trailer- 2002 Castaway camper with lots of mods....
Quad Build -http://cfmoto-forum.com/cforce-500-h-o/cforce-550ho-from-australia/