Author Topic: In need if camping spots ideas within 2 hrs of Gladstone QLD!  (Read 10818 times)

Offline goob

• Learning the Ropes
We would like to take the four kids and two dogs camping but not really sure where to go. As this will only be our third trip we're not really up with the good spots. We don't have a 4wd (have requested one). We also want to take the tinny, correction hubby has to take the tinny. So we need a place that allows dogs, four kids and fishing. We don't need shower or toilets nor power. But we do need to get ice every two to three days, but not having to drive hrs to get it.
Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Offline ehsc

• FIRE EARTH MOON STARS THATS LIVING
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • JUST DO IT
Re: In need if camping spots ideas within 2 hrs of Gladstone QLD!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
Hi Goob

The hardest thing is finding somewere you can take dogs.I don"t think there is  anywhere around 1770 ect maybe along the beach at deepwater but it is national park maybe turkey beach south of tannum sands .Monduran dam you can take dogs and heaps of fishing 20klms north of gin gin just goole it they have good web page Hope info helps   :cheers:

ehsc

2017 Isuxu D-max
2003 Jayco Freedom Outback

Offline goob

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »
Hi ehsc,
I did mention Monduran Dam but apparently it is big for the barra at the moment according to some fishing forums. We were thinking Boynedale at the back of Calliope but afew people we know are heading out aweek before the holidays and staying over Easter. Apparently the 7 days limit is not upheld, you just have to move your camp. By the sounds of it, there are going to be people from as far as NSW going to be there as well. Don't get me wrong i like people, but i also like alittle space.
Goob

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
Off the Old Bruce Hwy @ the Calliope Rvr, just north of where the current Bruce Hwy crosses the river.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline goob

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Thanks TOPNRD, but i actually live 2mins away from there lol. But a great spot i recommend. Just don't go swimming.

Offline welchygq

• "I came, I saw, I locked the hubs"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »
Try Red Rock camping area up near 5 rocks.  easy 2wd access and allows the dogs.  Short drive down to the creek to go fishing - or put the boat in.

Large sites.

Welchy

Offline ART by MICKEY

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:24:51 PM »
Hi there, It's a pity you have the dogs to worry about as up at Fairbairn Dam/Lake Maraboon they are having a heap of stuff for kids to do over easter etc.
http://www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au/qld/central_highlands/lake_maraboon/activities   (you might need to copy and paste the link)

Anyway we use to take our dog and kids down near the train bridge on the river under Benaraby Bridge...drive down the old drags road and then turn a couple times and go down the river and camp up on the rivers edge with the tinnies...couldn't see the highway so imagined we were in the middle of nowhere.. this is great when you don't have time to go to far away... Only thing is I think the flooding at the start of the year has mucked it all up a bit and it's a bit dodgy getting down there now....

Mickey
Mickey

Offline toeball

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Thanks TOPNRD, but i actually live 2mins away from there lol. But a great spot i recommend. Just don't go swimming.

How far down the coast do croc's and box jelly fish go?
I-zoo-zoo D-MAX and a Lifestyle Explorer + (+ more)

Offline dallp

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
Collisium?

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 08:11:02 AM »
Also Futter Creek camp ground. On the right before Boynedale. Not too many people go there. Good spot for the kids and dogs, plenty of room to run around and its not too far from the dam. Drop toilet also. Further up the valley is Kalpower sports reserve. No good for boating (no water) and quite often trail bikers camp up there and ride through the state forest. Can get a bit noisy in the morning and late afternoon. Cania is also another option.
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.

Offline ehsc

• FIRE EARTH MOON STARS THATS LIVING
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • JUST DO IT
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:11:24 PM »
Hi goob

You can take dogs to the retreat at cania gorge the dam is also full at the moment and pleanty of bush walks also.We are heading over there for a few days at easter i not looking forward to how busy it will be as both camp grounds are booked out.But its a few days away thats the main thing.

:cheers:            ehsc 
2017 Isuxu D-max
2003 Jayco Freedom Outback

Offline browny81

• Swag User
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
Workmans beach at agnes waters is top spot allows dogs close to beach but have to drive away from camp to put a boat in.

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:56:48 PM »
Theres a bush camping ground on the otherside of Awoonga that is pretty good. i am not sure about wild cattle island but it might be an option too as well as camping on curtis island.
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).