Author Topic: I have just been robbed by the RTA  (Read 10949 times)

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
I have just been robbed by the RTA
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I have just picked up my new Mountain Trail Camper ( extended escape version) which cost me $21000. I just had it registered at the RTA and they charged me $908   >:( .  $633 was stamp duty. When I quieried this blantent rip off I was told that stamp duty applies to box trailers but not to caravans, go figure??????  I was wondering has anybody else on this forum had a similar experience or has the RTA guy that served me stuffed up? 

Now I am going to have to wait a while before I can afford to get a new portable fridge as I had just enough spare cash to get the fridge :-[

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • vegetarian old indian word meaning bad hunter
Re: I have just been robbed by the RTA
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »
i think you have been over charged. what you have to say that it is not a box trailer but a camper . the ruiling goes a long the lines that if the main use is for sleeping  you  do not have to paystamp duty 

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:04:36 PM »
Really? The NSW RTA ripping us off?? surely not, I wont hear of it....
I had the unpleaseant experience of registering my camper at the taree RTA , wouldnt recognise a faxed reciept for the purchase, so they asked if I could get one faxed to them directly.Tools.
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
Thanks for that barneys , I will email the RTA now and see what they have to say for themselves

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
Yes pedeosar  they are a useless parasitic organisation that is staffed by imbiciles. The only business that I know that is more incompitant is the NSW state government

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
This thrreead covers the stamp duty issue. You have a case. :cheers:

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=2916.0
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »
Effective from 1 July 2009 duty is not chargeable on an application to register a caravan.

For the purpose of the exemption ‘caravan’ means a trailer (within the meaning of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Act 1997), including a camper trailer, that is permanently fitted for human habitation in connection with a journey.

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:32 PM »
I would go back and query that because mine is a camper and no s/duty on it. Barnray

Offline Trackaprado

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »
You should not have to pay stamp duty on a camper trailer in NSW.  It all depends on how the person filling out the blue slip classifies the trailer, ie box trailer or camper trailer.  Get onto Mountain Trail campers, seeing they are from Albury they must come across this all the time.  If not cancel your rego, get a refund and then find someone who will classify it as a camper then have it reregistered.

Grant

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:25:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for the very useful advise. I have just sent the RTA an email explaining what has happened and what you guys have just stated above. Hopefully the reply soon and sort it out.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »
I would go in there and look for someone to talk to.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »
Hope it all works out for you.  When we bought ours we had a weigh bridge certificate for just the trailer without the canvas, kitchen, etc and two receipts, one for the trailer, one for the rest.  We paid stamp duty and rego on the trailer price and weight.  That was RTA Albury and maybe we shouldn't have been paying that either but at least the cost was based on the trailer only.

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
I would go and see them face to face as well, I can bet the email has been put in someones inbox that has no idea what to do with it  >:(

GG

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 02:35:39 PM »
bigjules and GG, you are probably right about goin back to see them. I wont get back in a hurry though as the nearest RTA is 40kms away and I am working 12hrs shifts the next few days. If they havent given me a satisfactory reply by tommorrow morning I will call them and see how I go.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 02:40:06 PM »
bigjules and GG, you are probably right about goin back to see them. I wont get back in a hurry though as the nearest RTA is 40kms away and I am working 12hrs shifts the next few days. If they havent given me a satisfactory reply by tommorrow morning I will call them and see how I go.
I thought that may have been the case, good luck with it

GG

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »
 Hope it all works out for you.  When we bought ours we had a weigh bridge certificate for just the trailer without the canvas, kitchen, etc and two receipts, one for the trailer, one for the rest.  We paid stamp duty and rego on the trailer price and weight.  That was RTA Albury and maybe we shouldn't have been paying that either but at least the cost was based on the trailer only.

Dave

Nick from Mountain Trail campers had arranged for me to get my CT registred in Albury to. I got it  weighed at Albury recyclers which cost $22. I was meant to get a blue slip done in Albury but I was running out of time before I had to get to work so I came straight back to Barooga. When I did get my blue slip done they told me that I didnt even have to get it weighed at the weigh bridge as the TARE weight was already on the ID plate next to the VIN number.

Offline barneys

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
so how did you go

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
It all comes down to the code on the blue slip.

We went through this last year but fortunately we had done a fair bit of research so were forewarned. We just asked around the local blue slip guys until we found one that was willing to use the CVT code not the BXT code. We first rang the RTA and debated it with their technical guy until he agreed it was set up permanently to sleep in. We then got his name and told the blue slip guy about that conversation and he was then happy to use CVT.

We did have one fella who refused to  do it and insisted it was a box trailer so we just cancelled our booking with him and rang around til we found someone that wound do it for us.

Here's the original thread that gave us the heads up - http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=8283.msg123225#msg123225

Good luck. I hope you get it all sorted - that's a lot of money that could be spent on camping gear.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
Yep I just went through this, this week with the KK which cost me 30k. The RTA wanted to charge me stamp duty as the Rego papers said BXT. I told them it was a camp trailer and even showed them the brochure (who pays 30k for a box trailer???). To no avail. So I refused to pay the stamp duty and they refused to transfer the rego.

I went to the local Blue Slip guy who took one look at it (laughed) and did a change of details Blue Slip (about $28) and changed the description to CVT. I then went back to the RTA and payed $39 to transfer the Rego.

Regards

Jason

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
I rang the RTA and they told me that I was correct that I didnt have to pay stamp duty but I had to see the mechanic who did my blue slip and get him to change it. I then rang the mechanic and told him this, I also emailed him a link to the OSR ruling so he could see for himself. However he is still reluctant to change the form to a caravan and so I am going back to Finley RTA tommorrow with a print out of the OSR ruling to show the guy who originally stole my money. Hopefully he will hand it  back ( refund me ) but I am not holding my breath.

Offline micksgoincampin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »
I think I might haved had a win  :D

I went back to the Finley RTA and showed the guy who took my money a copy of the OSR ruling on camper trailer exemption from stamp duty. He told me that he already knew about that ruling but  because the mechanic ticked the box saying box trailer he charged me stamp duty. I was very furious  >:(with him but I had to keep my mouth shut as they still had my money. I talked him into calling RTA head office and they said they didnt want to advise the mechanic what they should put on the blue slip, but I persisted and enventually they called the mechanic and told him that camper trailers were a grey area  and he could change my blue slip.

So in the end the mechanic sent a fax with a change for my blue slip. The RTA guy then told me that I would receive a refund in the mail within a week.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 08:56:34 PM »
Great result!
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »
well done, so what type of fridge is on order now

GG

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »
Fantastic!!

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline john c

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 10:02:43 PM »
Just a questan how much do you pay in NSW? For rego in SA last time was $61.oo I think for 1 year. John C :D