Author Topic: Sleeping bag's. Which one ?  (Read 9126 times)

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
Sleeping bag's. Which one ?
« on: April 03, 2011, 07:28:42 PM »
Bought a couple of swag's the other day and thinking of getting sleeping bag's for them. What sleeping bag's are you using ? and how much should i pay?.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:20:07 PM by dno »
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline flamingo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Sleeping bag's. Which one ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »
  Gday Mate
  My Bag is a Jackeroo. Its a rating 6 which is summer..I prob shoulda got a rating 4.  I just have a blanket for chilly nights.  Also check the size!!Mine is 235cm. I am 6ft.Its ok. I dont know if they come bigger.  Good luck!  Phil
Go Tigers!
2005 Navara
2011 Jayco Flamingo

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:55:40 PM »
Hi dno,

We have 2 teenagers in Swags and got them both a "Swag Bag" which is essentially a sleeping bag but material on the outside.  Any sleeping bag rated for where you want to go will do the job.  Our choice was based on the fact that sleeping bags with nylon outer shell tend to slip and slide all over the place.

Oh and I think we paid $99 each (but may have been on special) from Kangaroo Tent City.

Tammy
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
I have a Fairydown from before they were bought by Macpac. It is a 700gram duck/goose down filled bag with an Entrant cover. I also use a silk liner. It is an awesome bag, warm enough but not too warm. I had a 1100gram down bag before that and it was too hot unless you were camping in the snow. http://www.macpac.com.au/shop/en_au/gear-and-clothing/sleeping-bags

I haven't used it in my swag yet but I am pretty sure it will be too warm so I'll just sleep in the liner and use it as a doona.

I bought my wife a poly filled bag and she hates it. I've slept in it once as she pinched my bag and I agree it sucks. If you can afford it a good down bag will last a lifetime if looked after properly i.e. don't leave it in the stuff sack.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
i have a fairydown sleeping bag as well, but i mainly just undo the thing and use it like a blanket. i find in a swag you can control the temp a bit more by zipping it up or closing it up as you choose.

have you thought about just a sheet and a blanket?
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:38:14 PM »
Not sure how much cheaper these Black Wolf ones are but I contacted Black Wolf a while ago about something else and they sent me this site. Might be worth a look.

I have a Oztrail Mitchell swag and like D4D and Silvo said it can get pretty hot in there. I have only ever opened the bag and used it like a blanket. Never actually slept inside it..

Renno :cheers:

Offline rotor138

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
We've got Roman -10 rated sleeping bags, never been cold in them and most of the time we zip out the liner which makes them -5. They were quite reasonably priced too.

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 08:45:30 PM »
Thank's for your feedback, i like the idea of the swagbag had a quick look at these friday night and like'd the material finish like Tammy mentioned, thank's Tammy. Do the Fairydown have nylon outer ? Had a look at the site and couldn't tell , thank's for the link D4D.
Silvo, thank's was think'n a swagbag and maybe a blanket. The swagbag option could also be used as an extra blanket in the CT wich maybe handy, And thank's for the tip on the lenght Phil, will keep that in mind.
Cheer's dno
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
Do the Fairydown have nylon outer ? Had a look at the site and couldn't tell , thank's for the link D4D.

Yes it is a nylon material however mine has what they call an 'Entrant' cover which is supposed to be impregnated with some chemical that makes it warmer and more water resistant. Wet down bags do not keep their warmth and take forever to dry.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
Some Roman were on sale at aussie Disposal's the other night.
Cheer's rotor 138

Clarence Day

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »
Never head of a Swag Bag before.
They look pretty good.
can be used as a doona as well

Renno

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Dose anyone find the nylon bag's noisy ?

Clarence Day

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 09:17:22 PM »
Can't hear it over my snoring :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »
Great thread Dno, I'm actually in the market for a new sleeping bag myself. The one I currently use must every bit of 20 years old. not even sure of the rating but it's a Nylon bag. I always leave it rolled in the swag and as I have no where to hang it up.....and I'm a little lazy with that sort of thing  ;D

After waking to a frost last night in my swag I think its time to save for a new one. Although if I had have rolled out the awning on the GU I think I wouldn't have woken up icy!! Well the swag anyway!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:31:31 PM by GU Rich »
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 09:30:38 PM »
Cheer's Rich, Ha D4D is that you i hear cut'n wood with the hand saw at night  ;D At least i'm not the only one...

Clarence Day

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Something like these would be good for a swag
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/online-store/products/Travelite-560-Lrg.aspx?prodID=612
http://www.mountaindesigns.com/online-store/products/Travelite-360-Lrg.aspx?prodID=607

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
I have a couple of bags, one for -2 and one down to -10, just depends on the time of the year, in winter down here the cold one comes out as well as the thermals, I have woken up with snow covering the swag one morning and it was -7 in the swag. Bring on winter camping ;D

GG

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
all we use is a fitted sheet and an old doona....if its mid winter we throw a blanket in and all this lives in the swag permanently.....just like sleeping in your own bed....dont like sleeping bags as i get all tangled up  ;D ;D

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Teabag

• The bush is my playground......
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Better to be looking at it than looking for it"
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:13 PM »
 This is no easy answer. I have 3 which are all for different purposes. I have a cheap summer +10, a 0 rated and -12 which is awesome when I was living in Canberra......You need to select the right bag for the right climate otherwise is could be an ordinary sleep...

http://www.kathmandu.com.au//51148/Moonraker_e-proof.html
2006 GU4 4.2TDi Patrol with many goodies. Currently no camper but have had a Customline Camper, Kimberly Kamper and Jayco Hawk....Tenting and Swagging it now..

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 09:48:19 PM »
Mountaindesigns there's one in Frankston i'll have to go for a bow peep. Minus 7 in the swag, you need to put both those sleeping bags in the swag GG .. ;D .
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:05:40 PM by dno »

Clarence Day

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 09:51:22 PM »
If you are using it in a swag, forget it, get a sheet and a doona or a couple of woolen blankets.  This way you can control your temp by opening up the sawg and blankets and you can dispense with blankets or doona in summer.  I have slept many nights in a swag as it was my choice of accomodation for work for three years and I never used a sleeping bag, always sheets and blankets.

I have a fairydown sleeping bag that I bought when I lived in Tasmania.  600grams of down from memory and gortex outer shell.  I have never camped anywhere where it has been cold enough to sleep in it, I just wake up after an hour half cooked and soaked in sweat.  I have tried it open as a doona a few times and it is still to hot.  As it packs down to next to nothing it is usually throw in as backup as you can be assured that if it gets to cold for everything else we camp with, it will do the job.

Short answer, for a swag, forget the sleeping bag and fancy swag bags and buy a cotton sheet set and blankets.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
Yes Burnsy , i agree it's hard to beat a good wool blanket or two. I had a nylon down bag some year's ago and found it noisy and hard to regulate the temp as well.

Clarence Day

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »
Yes Burnsy , i agree it's hard to beat a good wool blanket or two. I had a nylon down bag some year's ago and found it noisy and hard to regulate the temp as well.

Now, when you find a place that sells decent woolen blankets like onkaporinga's for less than the price of a sleeping bag let me know :cheers:
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 10:31:13 PM »
Cheer's Teabag, i'm think'n maybe a cheaper swagbag and an extra blanket or two if it's real cold.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:33:55 PM by dno »

Clarence Day

Offline StevenM

• Tent User
  • Yep thats my swag
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 07:15:17 AM »

Short answer, for a swag, forget the sleeping bag and fancy swag bags and buy a cotton sheet set and blankets.

Totally agree

My swag is as follows.

Under the materess I have a space blanket type tarp.
Then the matteress(looking at ditching the current and getting a self inflaiter)
Sheepskin matteres cover
Fitted sheet
Doona
One of those thermal cotton blankets
Sheet.

So depending on the temp and part of te year, Then you sleep ontop of the sheet and work your way down as it gets colder.