Author Topic: Loading an iPod  (Read 7175 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
Loading an iPod
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:27:57 AM »
Music lover (classical) wants to take lots of music on long trips, can't justify space/hassle of carrying CDs, thinking of iPod.
Question: is loading contents of CDs on to iPod (presumably via computer) relatively simple? While I am relatively computer literate, I have low tolerance level for fiddly procedures. All advice welcome, Cheers, Tony

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
Re: Loading an iPod
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:30:49 AM »
To load CDs onto an iPod requires iTunes which makes the process of getting the music onto the computer fairly simple

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »
Putting CDs onto an iPod is extremely easy...  Launch iTunes, ensure your Internet connection is on (this let's iTunes automatically get the disc name and track titles) insert cd, iTunes will then ask if you want to import the disc, click ok/yes...  iTunes does it's thing.  Repeat process for all CDs and then once done, plug in your iPod.  If it is a large one, it will automatically upload all your music to the iPod for you and your down.  If it is a small iPod, you will just nee to highlight the music you want on the iPod and then drag them over to the iPod icon in iTunes...  It is that easy.

BJ
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:34:03 AM »
I hate iTunes. Have previously used other software to load iPod, but now with a iPhone I feel stuck with it.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
iTunes will do the job if you only have a small music collection.  The digital rights management is really painful though.

For large collections I've found Windows Media Player to be not too bad, but that means you'll have to use something other than an iPod.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:50:33 AM »
I have over 7,500 songs currently in iTunes (all from CD) and have never had a problem with its operation or performance. I do not consider that to be a small music collection, and know others with tens of thousands of files in their system and they also do not have a problem.

Use iTunes. You'll be fine.

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »
Another option is to load music on a thumbdrive.
Only usable when you have an usb slot in your car radio.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
I have over 7,500 songs currently in iTunes (all from CD) and have never had a problem with its operation or performance. I do not consider that to be a small music collection, and know others with tens of thousands of files in their system and they also do not have a problem.

Use iTunes. You'll be fine.

I have about 28,000 in mine, iTunes crashes everytime I try to load them into the library.

WMP works perfectly.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline shanegtr

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Offroad80s
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:20:52 AM »
  The digital rights management is really painful though.

Only if you buy your music through itunes. I use a mac at home so all my music is on itunes and it works just fine for me

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 12:01:38 PM »
In defence of the iPod, they're handy when someone can play DJ, more so than the USB drives.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 01:01:53 PM »
I hate iTunes. Have previously used other software to load iPod, but now with a iPhone I feel stuck with it.

jules - ive been struggling for the last week with itunes - what it does to my compilation albums (of which i have some 400gb of) is murderous

ive downloaded copytrans for the computer and amp music player for iphone - copytrans is like itunes without the bloat and amp is like winamp for iphone - will let you know how i get on
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:31:10 PM »

my main prob with itunes is i have 400gb of compilations which are spread amongst the other 600 odd gb of non compilation music

anyway just to try what someone on another forum said - deleted all the music on my iphone - did what he said with 2 albums - bar lounge classics vol 1 and 2 get info - tick as compilation.

when i put it in the iphone and go into compilations instead of

bar lounge classics vol 1
bar lounge classics vol 2

i get

etc
etc

all in all 28 of them

and every single artist is listed in the artist page - who cares about some one hit wonder - way to clog up my artist page - put 30 or so compilations with all the various artists contained along with my normal albums and there with be around 6-700 artists from these compilations that i just dont care about

as well as 600-700 compilations all repeating themselves

this is with compilation ticked on both albums

the only way i could find around this was to select the albums and delete the artist name from them - that worked but is time consuming - in the compilations manager i had to make sure the album artist was removed as well - as a lot of the metadata is all over the place in my music - the album artist is often the individual artist for the track in the compilation.

essentially - itunes and ipod on iphone is a nightmare - on my old ipod you had a button you could tick in the iphone itself that made compilations work well - iphone doesnt have this. :(

ok - just been playing with amp and it is the joy - soooooooo much nicer than the ipod in iphone and it gets my compilations right without having to spend a million years fixing them

i think if i had a mac or a more powerful computer itunes might be ok - but every time i have itunes running my little 1.66ghz notebook stats stuttering - i look at performance and itunes is munching everything - using 60+% of cpu etc etc - copytrans uses next to nothing

if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
I have about 28,000 in mine, iTunes crashes everytime I try to load them into the library.

WMP works perfectly.

You need a Mac.  :D

Offline Frostd

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Terry & Deb
    • Frosty's blog
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
Olddigger, once you get an Ipod or similar you wont look back :cup:.  I have music loaded on mine as well as movies for the kids to watch whilst travelling ;D.  I connect the Ipod to a couple of video screens and away they go. Only problem :'(, I cant listen to my music whilst they watch a movie :'(..

http://frostysadventures.blogspot.com/

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »
 What's an Ipod?
I tried listening to my Sony Walkman but the AA batteries last no time on the road. Now I just take the portable record player and an inverter. Gets a bit bumpy off road, but using a cushion between the player and the wife's lap minimises the needle skipping. I find 78's are best when there are lots of corrugations, particularly if you harmonise the bumps to the vehicle speed.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:41:52 PM by toad »
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
ITunes is rubbish.
WinAmp for PC is much easier.

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 04:58:12 PM »
Sharepod is your friend :cheers:
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:07:12 PM »
ITunes is rubbish.
WinAmp for PC is much easier.

Amen brother.

Offline BJ76

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 08:23:18 PM »
Music lover (classical) wants to take lots of music on long trips, can't justify space/hassle of carrying CDs, thinking of iPod.
Question: is loading contents of CDs on to iPod (presumably via computer) relatively simple? While I am relatively computer literate, I have low tolerance level for fiddly procedures. All advice welcome, Cheers, Tony

I think we probably need to get this thread a little bit more back on track and not be a "I hate itunes" rant   :police:

Everyone is going to have differing opinions and olddigger was asking about how easy it is for iPods.  If you don't think an iPod is suitable, maybe back your statements up or offer alternative music players etc...  Saying winamp is better does not seem to help what old digger was asking.

Just my two cents...    8)

BJ
2010 Toyota Hilux Dual Cab SR5 TD & Lifestyle Extenda (with a couple of enhancements in mind!)

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
What's an Ipod?
I tried listening to my Sony Walkman but the AA batteries last no time on the road. Now I just take the portable record player and an inverter. Gets a bit bumpy off road, but using a cushion between the player and the wife's lap minimises the needle skipping. I find 78's are best when there are lots of corrugations, particularly if you harmonise the bumps to the vehicle speed.

:laugh:

If only!! I have more music on vinyl than I care to think about. All sitting there begging to go camping so I can annoy the kids with old peoples music ...

For the record I use an iPod and my kids do too. I buy music, I copy CD's and I store photos too. I downloaded and update iTunes regularly and have no problems. I like the ease of use and for a beginner I think you should be able to manage just fine.

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »
Yeah olddigger did ask this, you are correct. My apologies!!

When he buys an Ipod, (they are still IMHO the better portable music player out there), then he will have to get music on and off it.
He also said he didn't want it to be too fiddly so i would sway him against ITunes, as we all know it has it's idiosyncrasies that will annoy the average punter.
WinAmp is better (although i think only the pro version connects easily to Ipod, happy to be proven wrong) and have just downloaded Sharepod and it looks very user friendly (thanks MrBitchi).
Don't get me wrong, i actually know and use ITunes but it has limitations and if you aren't used to play lists and importing libraries etc it can be a pain.
 :cheers: BJ for trying to get it back on track..........

Offline lkyphl

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
olddigger,

if your low tolerance level for fiddly procedures does not include typing, you can load your CD's via computer without accessing itunes, and simply enter the songs' info from the CD jackets.

I have recently also entered the 21st century (bought an ipod) and have successfully loaded about 1600 songs with their respective info this way. Improves your typing skills, too !

Takes a while, tho' ...

Phil

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
The good thing is that you can load the covers as well.
Just search for your CD on theweb, find the cover and paste it into the file.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline tonym

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »
Hi All,

An interesting thread we have here.

If you are Mac then iTunes is unbeatable. I am among other things a professional Audio Director and Engineer with 50,000 tracks loaded in and iTunes is unbeatable.

I have spoken to colleagues who use iTunes on a PC and they have very few problems but stress that you need to be careful how you label the tracks for them to catalogue properly. As a preference if you do not need to sync with an iPod, Winamp seems to be the choice. i used to be PC about 7 years ago and used Windows Media Player, Winamp, an early PC iTunes and Mediamonkey. At that time Mediamonkey was probably the best, do not know if it still exists.

Tony.
Tony.
GQ Patrol - Lifted and Locked
Custom Off-Road Trailer - Ebay Tent - Drifta Kitchen

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 06:36:36 PM »

Old Digger,

There seems to be alot of opinions here ... for and against ... which proves it's a personal choice.

I have a classic Ipod, which I load all manner of music, photo's and documents onto.  Even got a couple of Itunes free downloadable TV shows and I do love the movies.  It's more than just a music player.

So far I have found that it's excellent in the car, on the laptop or computer, connects easily to my stereo (via cord) and another via Ipod dock.  If you like your music, then you really can't go wrong with them.  The software is easily loaded.  The music is easily loaded.  It's not rocket science, although some may suggest that it is.

For the price, it's much cheaper than buying all the CD's (much easier than taking them all), and more convenient than a USB flash drive.  Of course, they have their known issues (all electronics have the potential to stuff up or die).  My first one died within a week, but was replaced under warranty and I haven't had any problems since.  The earphones have only just carked it ... I think mine is about 5 years old ... so I'm requiring another set, but it works very well within the car.

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog