Author Topic: DOT campers  (Read 4008 times)

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
DOT campers
« on: June 03, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »
I notice on Facebook that Drifta will be reducing their trailer option from about 12 to 1.
The new hard top walk up 6-feet trailer at $40k
Pity, because I was looking at the 6-feet equip which is less that $18k
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline SEADOO

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: DOT campers
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 06:37:26 AM »
I've been following Luke for a while now.

He took a gamble and went into hock for a cool million to set it all up. He is yet to make a profit.

I can see why he has made the decision to cease production on a product that never paid he bills.

He has a company and employees ($60k a month just on wages) to protect.

It'll just make the existing models all the more valuable now, maybe.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 08:45:07 AM »
Have you thought about getting a dot equivalent/exactly what you want custom made, for the most part I have always thought of them predominantly as just a box trailer with mostly of the shelf components bolted on, shouldn't be to hard to replicate

Charlie Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 09:06:52 AM »
I notice on Facebook that Drifta will be reducing their trailer option from about 12 to 1.

The remaining hard top model is basically a 6 foot Equip optioned up.  And boy is it optioned up.  Don’t think there would be a better value CT around.  As Luke said in a couple of his posts, the Equip will still be available off the production line, it will just come off the line earlier with less bits. But because of suspension upgrades will be dearer than the existing Equip.

I always thought Luke had taken too big of a gamble and when I was talking to him at his new Brendale store last week he hinted this would be happening.  I sincerely hope he can make it work and wish him all the best.  He is one of the nicest and most genuine blokes I have had the pleasure of knowing.

Offline pommiedic

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »
Still a full range of DOT's on the website
Why is the 1st Tea of the day the best?

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »
I think the "Drifta" wheel turns a little slower than one expects

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb
The following users thanked this post: dingo 001

Charlie Brown

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:13:44 PM »
I think the "Drifta" wheel turns a little slower than one expects

That is a little unfair.  Luke’s announcement on the Drifta fans FB page (he wanted to reach out to as many of his loyal customers first) was only on the weekend.  Today is their first business day to modify websites etc. I also think he said they would be keeping their order books open for all trailers for another few weeks so maybe that is why there are no changes yet to the website.

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »
From my personnel purchasing experience!

I stand by my statement

Happy to elaborate by pm

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »
Have you thought about getting a dot equivalent/exactly what you want custom made, for the most part I have always thought of them predominantly as just a box trailer with mostly of the shelf components bolted on, shouldn't be to hard to replicate

Correct the DOT is basically a box trailer but the built quality is second to none.
I still need to see any box trailers that looks the goods like a DOT, only talking box trailer not Patriot that is a camer trailer.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 07:43:28 PM »
great product he has but not cheap thats for sure. Im sorry but if i was in the market again for a Dot like trailer id be looking at a second hand Patriot. I got great value out of my old Predator Viper at under $13k- i know not exactly the same but close.
But now after having a hard roof camper now with lots of options for under $30k ( and can set up within 30 seconds to be in bed ) -dont think i will ever go back to a RTT or a hardtopper - def cant beat a full size innerspring queeny mattress. But Luke def has a great following and hope he goes well.
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 08:24:15 AM »
We had our DOT6 a little over a year and did over 65nights away in it.

Firstly for the compact size of the trailer the storage is HUGE, we were initially just going to get an equip trailer to lug all the kids stuff along with us and for the kitchen/awning setup/water as we have heaps of good tents, sleeping mats ect.

In the end I choose to have the Hannibal tent on top as well as I liked the idea of getting away from having a tent floor on the ground.

To say the trailer is a glorified builders trailer is to sell it massively short! It’s built like a tank with quality steel, and quality alko suspension.

With great, storage, great kitchen and a great awning I think the equip is a fantastic concept. If your a couple or have kids that are old enough to setup their own pop up tents or swags the RTT is also pretty good.

However I found I was setting up an oztent next to the trailer as a space to get changed, kids to play in poor weather and also for me to sleep, in warm weather the RTT was too cosy for me, my wife and two kids.

In the end I sold the DOT not because of any failing of the product but because it just didn’t suit our family at that stage, maybe I should have stayed with the equip trailer option with a larger family tent.

Prior to purchasing the DOT we had our hearts set on a Mountain Trail EDX but the distinct lack of storage turned us off, once the XTE from complete campsite came out I knew it was time to upgrade.
Complete Campsite Fraser XTE

2013 Nissan Patrol Y62 ST-L

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »
To say the trailer is a glorified builders trailer is to sell it massively short! It’s built like a tank with quality steel, and quality alko suspension.

My comment was in regards to the concept, not build quality. Obviously, people wouldn't be paying the sort of premium involved if it wasn't built to the highest standard.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »

There is talk you may be able to down-spec it to what you want it to be - ditch the roof-top tent, etc. as others have commented.

I always wondered why there were so many options. Had briefly looked into the DOT's, but decided they weren't for us (no fault of the trailer, but everyone's priorities and set-ups are different). You can't blame Luke for trying to simplify the production of the DOT's to make it a more profitable exercise. It'd be a real shame if the DOT's - a product that I've pretty much only heard good things about - ended up costing the entire Drifta brand because it wasn't profitable enough for them to make and the other aspects of the Drifta range suffered as a result. I think this is a sensible move by the sounds of things.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:25 AM »
Yes they need to simplify their model lineup.

It was getting very confusing with a new model RTT on a trailer every second month.

I personally think the original DOT6 army like I had with the Hannibal RTT and the rear batwing awning designed to fold back to the tent fly was a great design, I don’t like how they had the I kamper on there with access on the opposite side of the kitchen where the tailgate was in the way.

Offline Trev-p

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
What made the DoT's popular was a simple but effective $23k design  (Leaf sprung etc). It was old school reliability that catered perfectly for its market as there was nothing like it.
Then someone suggested Independent suspension, I remember Luke was against it at first but gave in, then came I-kamper, walk up, airbags etc etc etc..

Everything that made the DoT what it was (a simple but rugged bashable trailer option) was now just a different version of the Patriot in a very competitive market area($40k area).

Now your left with a overcomplicated $40k version that is so far from what made the Drifta brand so popular and effective in the first place. Keep it simple.

Just my opinion, from a long term Drifta fan.
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline petrolburner

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »
I agree 100%

Keep the DOT6 army, leaf springs, and price it around $25k
Mine ended up being over $30k but had extra water, extra batteries a BMS, water pump ect.

However they are saying the market want a $40k walk up. I hope for their sake they are right.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »
offer two models.

the entry level $23k version.
Stripped down, leaf springs, one battery, one water tank, std awning and canvas roof top tent.

(then upgrades to that as you want)

and the all singing, all dancing, hard top, walk up, independently sprung fancy awning, solar and so on... $40k model.
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline Trev-p

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 01:36:13 PM »
That is the problem. To do both the platforms is 2 different chassis and manufacturing processes for what Luke said.
Too big a task for the small business and not cost effective.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
Yep, not easy to cater for each suspension system. Whole different animal.

Many people now expect independent suspension in an offroad camper trailer, so I would be inclined to agree the market has gone that way. I assume it's evolved that way due to a bit of a chicken/egg scenario - what happened first? Was it people saying they wanted the independent suspension so the manufacturers did so, or manufacturers saying "this is better, you need this!"? I suspect likely the latter initially, but now the former.

What made the DoT's popular was a simple but effective $23k design  (Leaf sprung etc). It was old school reliability that catered perfectly for its market as there was nothing like it.
Then someone suggested Independent suspension, I remember Luke was against it at first but gave in, then came I-kamper, walk up, airbags etc etc etc..

Everything that made the DoT what it was (a simple but rugged bashable trailer option) was now just a different version of the Patriot in a very competitive market area($40k area).

Now your left with a overcomplicated $40k version that is so far from what made the Drifta brand so popular and effective in the first place. Keep it simple.

Just my opinion, from a long term Drifta fan.

One has to suppose that Luke is looking closely at his numbers and is following the trends of what people are ordering to determine "what the market wants". Maybe all he's done is evolve to follow demand, rather than over-complicating things on purpose. You can't keep everyone happy, but my suspicion is that they were trying to with so many options, and its come back to bite them a little. Also, customers evolve (as per my comments about suspension options). Is a $20k "builder's trailer" still going to be what enough people want in this day and age to be sustainable? It would appear from this decision that he doesn't think so...

We have to assume that Luke knows what he's doing and has done his homework. From the post on Facebook it appears he is well aware there's going to be people out there who are disappointed, who wanted something at the $20k end of the market. You simply cannot please everyone and offer every option under the sun. I'm impressed that they have pulled it off as long as they have, to be honest!

I really wish Drifta all the best with it. It's great to see a home-grown Aussie company doing great things, and if for them to be around for years to come this move is necessary, so be it.
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline jw2170

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »
Would hate to see him go under.     He has made such a strong commitment to maintaining quality Aussie production.

Jim & Maree
Sydney NSW

Hilux and soft floor camper.

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 09:34:13 PM »
The profit margin is higher on a $40k trailer and with the limited production line of 6 a month. Best of luck with Luke.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 09:36:06 PM »
It's also not a coincidence that the Australian camper manufacturers that are left have exited the cheaper end of the market.

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 10:27:20 PM »
yes, true - a bit like the innovative Lifestyle Camper Trailer manufacturer....

I noticed at the BNE show they did not have one of their AT11s or AT12s on display...  just their new designs..

But gazillions of knockoffs of their earlier designs available for cheap - on display at the Show from MDCs, and several other suppliers as well...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.