Author Topic: Rain & wet canvas - how big an issue is it?  (Read 8530 times)

Offline jpak

• Swag User
Rain & wet canvas - how big an issue is it?
« on: March 19, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
In reading the many insightful posts here we regularly come across mention of the issue of rain and wet canvas and wondered how big an issue it really is.  I know that it is like asking how long is  a piece of string, but I am really keen to understand the whole situation before we order a camper and the awnings/annexes that go with them.

We have plenty of room to set up the camper at home if the canvas is wet so it can dry out so thats no problem.

It has been some years since we went camping(loved it) and the last few years we have camped in old stationery caravan so have not had to deal with wet weather/canvas...

What are other issues that we may not be aware of?

Your advice is sought and appreciated.

Cheers John

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
Re: Rain & wet canvas - how big an issue is it?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
Gday John,

The experts at the weather bureau say that they will have a clearer picture of whether we will go back into a La Ninia, go neutral or change to an El Nino this coming year. Given that you live in Victoria then another La Ninia will be a big problem with wet canvas unless you like packing up wet canvas. The alternative under these weather conditions is to never get out camping.

Seriously though, it can become a pain packing up with wet canvas all the time. There are methods people use to minimise the inconvenience but if you are anything like myself, you will learn to hate camping in the wet over time. That's why I went for a crossover style camper which eliminates most of the canvas. The new camper will get used frequently regardless of weather conditions.

I still think you should reconsider your choice of camper given some of the comments you have made under your other posts.

Good luck anyways.

Cheers.

Offline jpak

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:03:48 AM »
Hi Paul,  Understand what you are saying that packing up can be/is frustrating but I guess what I am trying to find out is how often when camping it rains - I know that in the last year the drought has broken and the volume of rain has been huge, but these are unusual circumstances.

We have been trying to figure out what would suit us and on the one hand dont mind a cross over type of unit but feel that is for when we get a bit older.

For now even though we are both 59 which we consider is not old yet.. and even though there are some physical issues such as bad knee heading for replacement in few more years( they wont do it if you are too young as the knees only last for so long and two is the max that they will do for one person per leg) bending/kneeling being issues for my wife, other than that we love camping and have "roughed it many times" thoroughly enjoying it and not had any problems in the past.. maybe we were just lucky that if didnt rain when we camped.

Cheers John

Variflex

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
If I have pack up with wet canvas I set up the camper as soon as I get home, wet the canvas down again and then leave it set up to dry out

Offline tjwrexy

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
Hi jpak,

I thought this would put me off but found camping in the rain is still better than not camping  ;D.

Our last holiday (5 nights) it drizzled for more than half, we put up the walls, pegged out the window canvas and hey presto cover.  Also, had the best time.

So far (fingers crossed) we have only packed up once with wet canvas (small tarp placed over the bed helped keep it dry until we got home) and as stated by Variflex, set up when you get home to dry.  We can't get the CT into the backyard without pulling down the fence but managed to figure out a way to half erect under the carport using poles to support the bows.

The instructions with our Camper states not to leave the canvas packed wet for longer than about about 12 hours (I think).

TJ
Tammy and Jeff
2010 Triton GLX-R and 2011 Aussie Swag Ultra G

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
for me it depends how wet the thing is before i pack it up. if you are packing up and the tent is saturated, when you get home, set the thing up again and leave it in the rain - a good soaking won't hurt it, actually it's better for it than folding it up. the rain won't last forever..

the longest i've had to leave mine up for was 11 days after i got home from a trip, it just didn't stop raining for the whole time.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO
The following users thanked this post: acerider

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »

Up until recently, we considered opening our CT gave us the odds of 80% chance of rain ... but that's going down slowly.  We really don't mind camping in the rain as it beats sweating your arse off.  Personally I belive that there are only 2 seasons built for camping ... Spring and Autumn ... but the weather is NOT going to stop me gettting the hell outta town come the weekend.  

We cover the bed with a tarp, make sure we wear wet weather gear (mostly it's pissing down when we pack up for some reason), and curse not being able to position the camper in it's usual spot at home ... it's gotta be in the open to dry at our place.

The only thing better than camping is ... actually I don't think there is anything better.

Kit_e

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 07:00:23 PM by Kit_e_kat9 »
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
We have had the misfortune of having wet weather about the last 6 outings and a couple of those were 200mm plus over the weekend, I just put a tarp over the bed and then within a couple of days of getting home, hang up the walls to the annex and put the camper up to dry. The weekend t Bindaree Hut we had a rain on the Sunday night and the canvas was wet on the pack up morning, we all jumped in the cars had a trip up to Craig's Hut and then when we returned all dry.

Just don't leave it too long especially in warmer climates as once the mould starts its hard to get rid of

GG

Offline wartim

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
Went to the caravan and camper trailer show at the Gold cost today where it rained last night and all day today, not sure how much rain they had however I had 40mm at Toowoomba today.  I couldn't believe how well all the CT's with the good old Aussie canvas stood up to  the rain and all the wet people trudging through the displays.   A real testament to the quality and design of these manufacturers.  I did note some minor leaks in a couple of CT's however these CT's were brand new and had never been seasoned.

It didn't seem to worry the manufactures at all, other than that if they had 3 or 4 on display meant they had to find space to dry them all rather than just one.  I was very suprised how  dry, cosy and comfy it was under the awnings and inside these CT's which has only encouraged me not to worry about the weather so much providing I am camping on grass and not mud.

I have seen some people put a fly over their CT an when it rains the fly keeps the canvas mostly dry (depending on coverage and overhang).  I have even seen them pack up under the fly in the rain which leaves everything dry including the people packing up until the fly has to come down.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Cheers

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »
We use a big tarp over our camper. We pack the camper up with the tarp still up and the canvas is dry. The wet tarp is then packed under the cover and does not wet the canvas.

Mark 
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:22:01 PM »
We use a big tarp over our camper. We pack the camper up with the tarp still up and the canvas is dry. The wet tarp is then packed under the cover and does not wet the canvas.

Mark

How do you hold it up? Tied to a tree, poles and roped etc?
The following users thanked this post: 1stlux

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 09:55:16 PM »
How do you hold it up? Tied to a tree, poles and roped etc?

We use the poles,pegs and ropes. See pic
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Redcans

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 11:06:18 PM »
Guys old thread,
How does everyone keep there camper trailer cover from filling with water and leaves?
We have just returned from a week down the coast we got a few light showers and did setup under some nice shady pine trees,  and today at pack up when rolling the cover back on before zipping it all around, we had to first drain a few litres of water out the sweep out some pine needles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 Hilux & a 2015 Johnnos tourer
even chuck norris could't break that combo!

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 12:26:33 AM »
More spreader bars to keep the canvas taut, or put a big tarp over the whole setup...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Redcans

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 12:32:32 AM »
Thanks for your reply Nav.
Not sure I know what you mean about the spreader bar, I can understand the tarp idea but all I want to keep dry is my pvc cover that covers the top of my soft floor camper, you know like every other soft floor, I could maybe just slide it out of the sail track but that a pita. You know what I mean.
I’m looking for quick simple ideas like maybe some fancy oragami style folding techniques or a simple bag, I’m think maybe take it off and get a canvas guy to sew a flap to cover it but this may be an expensive option.
Cheers

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 06:23:29 AM »
a trick Ive seen used is when rolling the cover back, roll it up in a under roll way! and as tight as you can get it
 Damn, I can't think of a correct way to call it  :-[
This takes 2 people to do
or if the cover can be removed completely? take off and pack out of the weather
my old cover stayed in situ, but when the canvas got renewed 1 of the mods I requested was a totally removable cover.
Cheers

Jwb

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »
Store it in or under the trailer to keep it out of rain, no fancy folding really required.
The following users thanked this post: loanrangie

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 07:16:49 AM »
IF it's a removable type!
Cheers

Jwb

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2018, 07:33:28 AM »
IF it's a removable type!
I thought they all were ???

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »
a trick Ive seen used is when rolling the cover back, roll it up in a under roll way! and as tight as you can get it
 Damn, I can't think of a correct way to call it  :-[
This takes 2 people to do
or if the cover can be removed completely? take off and pack out of the weather
my old cover stayed in situ, but when the canvas got renewed 1 of the mods I requested was a totally removable cover.
You’ve said it correctly. Instead of rolling over the top you start rolling underneath. Guys I camp with roll their camper awning windows the same way so they don’t catch water if it rains.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
Even when I packed up dry, I would always leave a Closet Camel inside the camper. It was amazing how much water it collected and how fresh the camper smelled when we opened it up. No mustyness at all.
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline Redcans

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
Thanks guys. It never really be n a problem before as we live in the Pilbara and don’t really see any rain.

Offline burks

• Swag User
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
Wet canvas cost me a car!

We'd had a wonderful easter trip away one year, and of course it bucketed down Easter Monday morning as we had to pack up, and the soft floor we used to have got completely saturated. No problem, I thought. Plenty of room to set it up at home in the garage so it can all dry out, so as soon as we were home we did that. Had to park the car out on the street that night (shared driveway), and of course a P plater in their second month of driving comes around the roundabout two doors up, on their phone, doesn't even look up and hits the back of our parked car, which thanks to the heavy duty tow pack and reinforcing, bent the chassis - write off  >:(
The following users thanked this post: Mangrovematt