Author Topic: Sail track tarp or awning options  (Read 3702 times)

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
Sail track tarp or awning options
« on: July 23, 2023, 05:47:59 PM »
Hi All,

We’ve got a 1970s camper with a pop top and sail track mounted awning.  It’s the classic canvas add a room option. Heavy and cumbersome for an overnighted stop but ok for 2 or more nights. It uses 4 poles and two spreader rafters and a bunch of ropes and pegs.

I’m looking for a waterproof tarp option (modern materials - not canvas) that mounts in the sail track. Just the roof only. No need for walls, or have removable walls.

Ideally light and easy to handle for one person to put up. The length of the track is 4.2m long and I’d like say 3m wide so I can leave my outdoor kitchen setup.

The current 4 pole setup (which includes 2 extendable rafters would be used with this simple roof only option.

Does anyone make a decent modern material tarp that’s not super heavy?  Waterproof is critical.
Thanks,

Tom

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Sail track tarp or awning options
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 03:24:48 AM »
Yes, I did have a wee google before posting.

Problem is we have a curved track so none of the roll outs will work.

I’m looking for some decent tarp fabric. Maybe the drifta half hexa will work.

Maybe also the econotarp guys heavy duty tarp will work too.

Just hoping someone’s got some experience to share.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »
When we had the CT, with a similar set-up to yours, we ditched the annex in favour of a big silver tarp that went right over the CT & also the annex area.

BGS have 3.0 x 3.6m https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-3-0-x-3-6m-heavy-duty-tarpaulin_p3332296 & 3.6 x 5.5m https://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-3-6-x-5-5m-heavy-duty-tarpaulin_p3332301 options that may work for you?

& at only $35 / $60, it's a pretty cheap way of finding out!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 10:16:19 AM »
The big tarp over the top is indeed a great way to go. I used the same system on my rear fold campers for a long time.

However, this is actually a popped roof caravan where the roof section is on scissor lots so it can’t take a load over it. (We went caravan style after struggling with leaky canvas for years.. and my partners desire for a cutesy butter box .. her desire exceeded my ability to argue in the end so caravan it was for the next iteration )

The sail track is also curved slightly in the vertical plane so doesn’t suit a traditional roll out awning. It does though make for a water shedding design I quite like.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 11:47:09 AM »
got any photos of the setup
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 12:06:52 PM »
Not all canvas it the same. I'm presuming your original annex is quite heavy. Wax Converters Textiles in Rutherford NSW have multiple weights of fully waterproof canvas.

Pretty much industry standard stuff, well worth a look, and I doubt any synthetic "modern" materials would be any lighter, outside of a silver tarp perhaps.

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 10:36:49 AM »
Not all canvas it the same. I'm presuming your original annex is quite heavy. Wax Converters Textiles in Rutherford NSW have multiple weights of fully waterproof canvas.

Pretty much industry standard stuff, well worth a look, and I doubt any synthetic "modern" materials would be any lighter, outside of a silver tarp perhaps.

I had an awning extension made out of the lightest canvas available 4.3 x 2. Folds up into a bag 300mm x 300 mm and very light to handle. Check out you local canvas maker
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline elver

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 08:59:11 AM »
Thanks for the tips on lighter canvas.

I did however find a Drifta half hexa tarp with kedder strip at the local outlet yesterday. $220 all done with ropes and a pole in a neat bag.

Perfect fit and packs down small and light. It’s a single pole, 3 peg only setup and slides perfectly into the track with no effort.  You can add 2 more poles to make it larger and greater coverage if you want.   The curved sides means it tensions up nicely and will shed water super well.   

Pretty well just what I was after but the colour isn’t perfect so the other half isn’t so stoked.

It’s a super quick setup for a 1 nighter.  Faster than setting up a pop up gazebo with one person I think.

I’ll post a pic when I get it setup outside the shed.