Author Topic: lack of power in the 105, upgrade or time to move on?  (Read 9550 times)

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: lack of power in the 105, upgrade or time to move on?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 08:26:53 AM »
I’m also in the same boat with my 105 cruiser with 187 000 on the clock. Without the camper trailer on it’s okay to drive and if anything the lack of power has saved me from a few speeding tickets. But once I add the camper trailer I’m constantly working the gears which does get annoying.

While driving to my destination can be annoying, but once I’m towing the camper offroad on soft steep sandy tracks the whole package seems to come into its element and puts a smile back on my face especially passing bogged 4WD’s.

As previously mentioned throwing large amounts of money at these cars are a waste of time because sure you can rebuild the motor, but if the motor has 450 000kms on the clock, then so does your gearbox, diffs, driveline and every other part that moves in the car.  So at what point do you stop?

In saying that I recently spent $4K on a gearbox rebuilt. But like most we aren't in a situation where we just can't afford a big loan to upgrade my cruiser. Plus over the past 7 years I've only really spent on the normal ongoing service items and we plan on keeping it for at least another 5+ years.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:13:19 PM by Beachman »

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 08:52:04 AM »
first up I want to thank every single person that took the time to add their thoughts, and feedback and more importantly... personal experiences.

if that Powerball ticket I bought today turns out for me... then I'm ordering a nice 70 series dual cab (with many upgrades) and a new Tvan.

But somehow I doubt that's going to happen...

The general feedback seems to be:

a) check the state of the current engine with a compression test. That will determine whether it's viable to throw (small amounts) of money at the current car.

b) opinion seems to be split on turboing the current motor. Though the majority seem to be suggesting an engine swap to a Toyota factory turbo. But only if low mileage.

c) everyone is asking my budget... in all honesty... I don't know.

d) If the 105 is worth keeping, then I'm comfortable to throw 6k or thereabouts at it. any more will take a concerted savings effort.

e) if we're looking to trade it in... then I'm sure that the bank will help me out for a used 4wd around the 30-35k mark. If we were considering a trade in... then we're leaning towards crew cab utes with a canopy. Preference would be (in order) Isuzu, Hilux, Navara, Colorado. (maybe a Mazda, but geez... they're butt ugly)

But as many have mentioned... then we're starting the slow upgrade game again. And I'm really attached to my current 270L fuel capacity... hahahahahahaha

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
2018 GXL 78 Troopy with Alu-Cab conversion
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:42 AM »
Quote from: MuruCycles
a) check the state of the current engine with a compression test. That will determine whether it's viable to throw (small amounts) of money at the current car.
I would still say even with a compression test, 450,000klms your asking for troubles. When I spoke with my diesel bloke about upgrading my current aftermarket Garrett to a bigger one, he suggest not to at 300,000klms

c) everyone is asking my budget... in all honesty... I don't know.
that's the issue... don't stress, we all have this issue, and many have been in your shoes.. .

(maybe a Mazda, but geez... they're butt ugly)
I think they all looks the same!

I think your not going to get out of doing anything to your current gig for under 15k to do it properly.

How much do you think you could sell your current gig for... add $15k to that - 35k would get you a brand new Mitz Challenger on run out someone mentioned other day.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
Regardless what you do it will cost you, the question is how much.

I went through the same thing with my 1991 80 series carby petrol 12 months ago. My 80 drives like your 105 except I use 1/3 more fuel than any diesel.

LS conversion was quoted at $20K plus.
HDFT recond engine, the cheapest I found was $12k not including install.

I already have F & R air lockers, rear draws, wheel carrier, bull bar etc.

I spent $6k on my 3F to rebuild and a few upgrades which brought the old girl close to 400NM but I still lag in the HP department 135HP.

I still struggle on steep hills with the Jayco on the back but not as much as b4, but my old girl will last me another 10 years plus and she will go anywhere 4wding.
The most important thing for me was reliabilityfirst and foremost, availability of parts and cost of parts which are dirt cheap, as we do remote trips and that's what I got. Couldn't be more happier.

Yep, my mates have $50k plus 4wds but they are also in heavy debt and can't afford many trips away  ;D

The cash I didn't spend for a diesel or LS conversion is being spent on extra holidays  ;D

If you want a fast car buy an early xr8 or a ss.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:22:56 AM by cruiser 91 »
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
As others have said at 450,000 Kim's just move or keep it the way it is. My folks had a 60 with 450,000 plus on it. Reliable as but you were always fixing little things or leaks. 
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
As previously mentioned throwing large amounts of money at these cars are a waste of time because sure you can rebuild the motor, but if the motor has 450 000kms on the clock, then so does your gearbox, diffs, driveline and every other part that moves in the car.  So at what point do you stop?

Everyone is going to have a different opinion, but the above is pretty well my thoughts too.  Plenty of people only seem to focus on the engine condition without considering or acknowledging the rest of the car is aging and wearing out as well.  You throw money at one area of the car, only to then find something else that needs replacing / rebuilding if you want to keep the vehicle reliable and on par with the new power plant.  The justification then to invest more time and money into the car.... is because you've invested a heap of time and money in it already....  Just becomes somewhat of a downward spiral / pit and personally I think the key is to know when to let go and part ways with a vehicle before it becomes a money pit - which is where you are now it seems.     

I've done a couple of comprehensive rebuilds and vehicle restorations in my time and although the 'experience' was challenging and fun, in hindsight none of them worked out to be economically viable -  more specifically for the money I ended up spending on an old car I could have brought something much newer and more comfortable or, spent less and just brought something already restored by someone else.  Everything is a compromise, but an old car will always be an old car unless you plan to rebuild or replace pretty much everything in one go.

Best of luck.

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
everyone has been immensely helpful and there is plenty, clearly to consider.

for example...

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/Isuzu-D-Max-2015/OAG-AD-10484441/?Cr=4

not to mention Colorados by Izuzu from mid 20k with under 100,000k on the clock
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 10:34:38 AM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 10:09:54 AM »

My fun started when my 2000 model petrol cruiser blew the engine at only 139000 on the clock. Total cost to put in recon motor and new air con system was around $11,000.

What to do. Ended up getting it done as it was set up already as a touring vehicle. Since June 2013 I have only done 30,000 on the recon motor but it's been great. It loves drinking petrol but it's reliable and does the job.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 11:09:32 AM »
everyone has been immensely helpful and there is plenty, clearly to consider.

for example...

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/details/Isuzu-D-Max-2015/OAG-AD-10484441/?Cr=4

not to mention Colorados by Izuzu from mid 20k with under 100,000k on the clock
I think you've answered your own questions..

but how much would you get privately selling your current unit?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
I think you've answered your own questions..

but how much would you get privately selling your current unit?

based on a very rough trolling of Car Sales...

I'm guessing around 15-20k

Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 12:24:27 PM »
so then I see this

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2009/OAG-AD-12284014/?Cr=1

so now a possible thing to consider is a used 200 series at (around) $46k v's a brand new Isuzu at $37k

(all assuming that we can either sell the 105 privately for a reasonable price... or get a decent trade-in price that doesn't hurt from lack of lube...)

The lure of the 200 series is a) it's a Toyota and b) some of my current bits can swap over. (drawers, spotlights and maybe tyres) plus c) I can get a long range tank of similar capacity to my current set-up.

The lure of the Isuzu is it's 10K cheaper for a brand new vehicle.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »
so then I see this

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-2009/OAG-AD-12284014/?Cr=1

so now a possible thing to consider is a used 200 series at (around) $46k v's a brand new Isuzu at $37k

(all assuming that we can either sell the 105 privately for a reasonable price... or get a decent trade-in price that doesn't hurt from lack of lube...)

The lure of the 200 series is a) it's a Toyota and b) some of my current bits can swap over. (drawers, spotlights and maybe tyres) plus c) I can get a long range tank of similar capacity to my current set-up.

The lure of the Isuzu is it's 10K cheaper for a brand new vehicle.
10k is a lot of accessories... with warranty... and you know how its been treated... again I'd go look at the run out deals on the Challenger.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »
10k is a lot of accessories... with warranty... and you know how its been treated... again I'd go look at the run out deals on the Challenger.

but... it's a Mitsi'

I couldn't bring myself to do it... next thing you'll be suggesting a Jeep.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »
Mitsubishi Triton/ Challenger, cheap for a reason. You get what you pay for. The dual cab utes will never be as good as a Landcruiser.

Offline Ozsnowman

• "Missus wants an Avan"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • Travelling with Shirley the van!
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:08 PM »
Hey all:

We drove the 105 series Cruiser back from Melb last weekend towing the "half an 80 series camper".

We took the inland run to be different and to test out the trailer and freecamp on Saturday night at Narrandera since we had puppy with us. (more on the trailer in a different thread)

Hi! By any chance were you in Moama over the weekend? Driving down to Moama beach I saw a cruiser towing a red rear half of a cruiser, thought it looked amazing :D
We've swapped from the camper to a van yay! :)

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 05:49:07 PM »
Well, I put my thoughts in earlier.. $12000 would go a long way to a HZ rebuild plus turbo.. About $1500 to rebuild a R151..
So then, include an exhaust system.. A good clutch pack with machined flywheel.. 4 core radiator and a water to air intercooler.. Then add a part time drive kit for the transfer with a change of bearings and chain at the same time.. That would do it..

Thing to ask yourself.. If you were to buy a new CRD of any make could you expect it to turn 450000 k's without putting a spanner on it??
Second hand one would only make that question iffier..
Puff

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
My Troopy I sold a year ago had 455000 on it at the time, had been turboed most of its life, and was going strong with good compression still.
These engines will last, if they have been looked after, now you know what yours has been through, so if compression and oil pressures are good, I recon you'd be better off spending the coin on the 105 then spending a lot more on the ute.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
Hi! By any chance were you in Moama over the weekend? Driving down to Moama beach I saw a cruiser towing a red rear half of a cruiser, thought it looked amazing :D

that was us. Came through there on Saturday arvo'.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
The following users thanked this post: Ozsnowman