Author Topic: Which replacement tent to buy?  (Read 6094 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Which replacement tent to buy?
« on: July 11, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
First off a big shout out to the team at Tentworld Brendale. Long story short but a little while back I purchased but there seemed to be a design flaw and the zipper was always too tight. Tentworld did what they could but still weren’t satisfied that the tent (now discontinued) was good enough so they have offered me a refund.

Now I have $600 to spend on a new tent and looking for advice from the MySwag brains trust. Options are:
1. Spent a little bit more and get a new model Blackwolf Turbo Tent.
2. Spend a little more again and go an Oztent RV
3. Spend a lot less, buy an Oztrail fast pitch tent and use the difference to buy a stretcher for my Oztent RS1 swag.

Tent gets used every month or so, generally only 2 people but would like the opportunity to fit at least 3.

I want something fully weatherproof and fast to pitch. Weight and pack size is a consideration but I think all of the options mentioned above would be ok.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: Which replacement tent to buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:15:56 PM »
Anything fast to put up takes up lots of space and vary in PITA level to pack up.

I have a 9x9, a Blackwolf, and an RV1...

all are quick to put up, but blackwolf and RV take up Shit loads of space, infact the RV wont fit inside the patrol.

9x9 canvas is great 4 pegs, 1 pole and your in, then once in you can use the sidepole kit to remove centerpole and have 1 each side.
Also piss easy to pack up.

Blackwolf Fantastic design to put up with the buckles for attaching the fly... Mine is the biggest one i got second hand, which I dont really use much anymore as its too big for 1 person - usually only me, but would for 4+ easily. Also PITA to pack.

RV series Easy to erect, really good design, easy to pack
only used twice, but i like it.. just wish I didnt need a roofrack just for 1 tent.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 01:49:15 PM »
Oztent on the roof rack
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
Oztent on the roof rack
I have an RV5 and it's just about a two person job to get it onto my Canopy roof racks. If there was a loading rack idea simple and cheap would be a great idea. Might set up a system of pulleys back over the roof rack and use the winch.  :laugh: :laugh:
Love my RV5 though, great tent.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:40:50 PM »
I have an RV5 and it's just about a two person job to get it onto my Canopy roof racks.

Eat your spinach :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:44:17 PM »
Eat your spinach :)
Can't, Popeye took it all. Besides old age is catching up  :laugh: :laugh:
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »
If you have roof rack an RV is hard to beat, plus it frees up internal space.

We also have the old style touring tent, 4 pegs and one pole.....simple, easy, can stand up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »
Can't, Popeye took it all. Besides old age is catching up  :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking of one of those ladder rollers on the end of a flat tray like Drifta make. That way you just need to lean it on the roller then push it up.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
Last decent trip I did with the RV4 was unload, load every day.
Got a piece of 400mm x 25mm pvc cut length ways with an angle grinder and forced it on
the rear of the roof rack.
Lasted the trip nicely.

Offline trinityalyce

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Bulldust & Back Roads
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:06:10 PM »
I can get the RV3 up and down off the roof of our Patrol if I have to. It's hard work, yeah, but I'm also knee high to a grasshopper and have zero upper body strength. There's some tricks that make it easier. The Drifta bag also helped... more to hang onto.

First off a big shout out to the team at Tentworld Brendale. Long story short but a little while back I purchased but there seemed to be a design flaw and the zipper was always too tight. Tentworld did what they could but still weren’t satisfied that the tent (now discontinued) was good enough so they have offered me a refund.

Now I have $600 to spend on a new tent and looking for advice from the MySwag brains trust. Options are:
1. Spent a little bit more and get a new model Blackwolf Turbo Tent.
2. Spend a little more again and go an Oztent RV
3. Spend a lot less, buy an Oztrail fast pitch tent and use the difference to buy a stretcher for my Oztent RS1 swag.

Tent gets used every month or so, generally only 2 people but would like the opportunity to fit at least 3.

I want something fully weatherproof and fast to pitch. Weight and pack size is a consideration but I think all of the options mentioned above would be ok.

Any suggestions?

I know of a second hand great condition Blackwolf Turbo Tent going for about half your budget if you're keen. I have the photos but not the tent (belongs to a family member here in Brisbane). PM me if you'd like more details. It's a good tent. And packs up more compact (though still somewhat sizeable)
Trinity (+ James + Mister Dog)
'04 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Wagon + '06 TD42 GU Nissan Patrol Coil Cab Ute + '18 Ultimate Xplor GT Camper

www.bulldustandbackroads.com

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:29:46 AM »
240 Turbo Tent with touring fly. Done. ;)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 10:41:49 AM »
I don't know much about tents but this one might also be worth a look, couple it with their 12v pump if you are feeling lazy.

edit http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=55112.0
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 11:27:02 AM by tryagain »

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »
I don't know much about tents but this one might also be worth a look, couple it with their 12v pump if you are feeling lazy.
Which one?

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline TonyF8

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 04:11:48 PM »
For well under the coin you have, you can purchase a Coleman Gold Series, they are exo skeletal and honestly take 5 to 6 minutes to put up, i was given one to test before they were released on the Australian market, and I wouldn't  give it back, I've had RV's and Blackwolfs, to me this beats them hands down for portability, durability and weather ability.
Stay safe and play fair.

Offline Merts

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 05:02:41 PM »
I was thinking of one of those ladder rollers on the end of a flat tray like Drifta make. That way you just need to lean it on the roller then push it up.

I have a tradie rack with a roller on the end. It certainly does make it easier to get my RV3 on and off the roof. I can lift it mostly by bending at the knees and then just the last bit requires a bit of arm work.
Towing a a National Campers 'Hermit 10' hybrid with an MQ Triton. Previously towed an Outback Campers 'Sturt' softfloor. (PM me if you want to buy the Sturt!)

Offline paul.o

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 09:26:07 AM »
Not to hijak the thread, but this (or a version of it), might be an option to help get things on the roof rack.

http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Images/Accessories/RUSL/RUSL-Universal-Side-Loader-08.jpg

Paul

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 08:26:12 PM »
I have a tradie rack with a roller on the end. It certainly does make it easier to get my RV3 on and off the roof. I can lift it mostly by bending at the knees and then just the last bit requires a bit of arm work.
i was thinking of a 'tray' to fit the tent into to slide up on a roller like you mention, would also make tying down easier as I have tradey rack with no ends on it, always paranoid standing on the picks that it will go sailing out, or get to camp and find it aint on the rack anymore :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline boobook

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
Darche Safari 260 would be my pick for a new tent.

Under 17Kg for tent only if you store the poles and additional tarps.

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 05:36:01 PM »
Darche Safari 260 would be my pick for a new tent.

Under 17Kg for tent only if you store the poles and additional tarps.
I thought about those but the roof frame being sewn in could make it a bit awkward to stow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 08:27:33 PM »
I think I have narrowed the search down to 3 options:
1. Oztent RV4, seems a good compromise of size and weight. But also the most expensive option, particularly with the added cost of a fly. It is long but I want to put the tent on the roof anyway.

2. Blackwolf Turbo Lite 300. Cheaper and lighter than the Oztent but it seems there is no option to put it up without also putting up the awning as well.

3. Oztent Oxley 5. A bit like the Blackwolf but cheaper. Can be setup without the awning extended. Heaviest of the lot at 26kg. They do a lite version for a lot less $ but it looks cheap.

Keeping my eye out on Gumtree to see if a near new one comes up for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
Quote from: rockrat
1. Oztent RV4, seems a good compromise of size and weight. But also the most expensive option, particularly with the added cost of a fly. It is long but I want to put the tent on the roof anyway.
RV is a brilliant design, no getting away from that. I just cant get my head around the $.. but they come up *sometimes* used. Got mine used, used once.

2. Blackwolf Turbo Lite 300. Cheaper and lighter than the Oztent but it seems there is no option to put it up without also putting up the awning as well.

You can (or could before - I have 2 different) different sized fly/awnings for the Wolf.  I have this size awning on my Blackwolf (mines just normal without the plus bit on back, but this size awning) Perfect for overnighters.. 2 poles couple of ropes = :)

They are both outstanding items... Go pick one of each up and try throwing on the roof... Then think when wet.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 08:42:47 AM »
Thanks Bird.
The Oztents are certainly up there in price but Oztent have a cash back offer running until the end of the month. Also hoping to check out a couple of used ones on the weekend but I tend to find what one person calls good condition, I call flogged out! Cost is a factor but not the major factor, I’m expecting to own this tent for many years to come.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2019, 08:47:35 AM »
Quote from: rockrat
... but I tend to find what one person calls good condition, I call flogged out!
yea depends on your OCD level.
If its cheap enough to reflect the condition and theres no leaks or rips Im happy :)
My Blackwolf was used, has several dirt stains on it but doesnt affect the use at all, but it would put some people off.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2019, 09:07:09 AM »

240 Turbo Tent with touring fly. Done. ;)

See if you can get a package deal with one of these included;
https://www.blackwolf.com.au/products/turbo-300-lite-touring-cap-fly/

Leave the fly on the whole time.
Setup and pull down with it all connected, then it's only 4 pegs and a push in the middle.

As Jeepers says, no need to thank me, just send money..... ;D

Edit;
The 240 is ample room for 3 people and it packs away that little bit shorter then the 300.
meaning you can fit it sidways in the tray (and across most rear compartments in wagons) and open up a lot more options for packing on long trips... ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:13:30 AM by Pete79 »