Author Topic: Info on Hiluxes'  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Barrabart

• "Queenslander forever, forever Queenslander"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Info on Hiluxes'
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
G'day all,

I'm looking to unload my trusty old Cruiser Wagon ('98 Petrol Auto FZJ105) , had it for over 10yrs now and just don't need such a big rig anymore, kids all grown up and on their way, so it's just the Mrs and myself.
I've decided to replace it with a Turbo Diesel dual cab Hilux or possibly space cab, not going to buy a new one so I'm chasing a 2nd hand unit in good nick, hopefully with extras already added that suit my requirements. Price range ~30 - 40k.

What I want to know is, the current engine the 2.8ltr looks to have been around for a year or two, prior to that though was the 3ltr.
It looks to have been around for a few years. Are there any differences with the 3ltr engines or were they all the same? If there were changes, which one was the pick and what year models were they in.

Thanks in advance, :cheers:

Barrabart.

Trackabout Safari towed by an old HJ75 Cruiser Tray Back.. Lovin'it!!!

Offline Jenko1982

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Info on Hiluxes'
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:10 PM »
I have a 2011 3.0 D4D Hilux  and have had it for a few years now with no issues.

When researching before we bought our rig we read the early model 2005-2009 models had issues with the injectors from factory they seemed to have them sorted by the 2010 model.
The following users thanked this post: Barrabart

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:14:43 PM »
Thanks Jenko,

I'll keep that in mind.

Offline SambOz

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
In late 2006 the 3l HILUX diesel was upped from 120KW to 126KW, although with your budget I expect
you will be finding a much newer model than '06.

My 2006 has just had the injectors replaced, a common problem with the early 126KW motor, again yr find will most likely be to recent to have that problem.

Some have had clutch replacements done, it's probably not relevant either in newer models.

Our late 2006 126KW Cab/Chassis tray, manual trans. is an excellent unit, still on original clutch and low $$$'s  for maintenance.

Some of the clutch problems were, IMO, caused by owners fitting much bigger tyres, then chipping the motor to compensate for the big change in gearing - something had to give !

Lots of reading here - http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 11:44:38 PM »
Thanks SambOz,

Mate if I can find a low klm very well cared for '06 - '10 year range I'd have no issues in buying one........ I actually still prefer the shape of the Luxy's built back then.
Just need to find a one owner rig, driven only by a little old lady to church on Sundays.... :cheers:
The following users thanked this post: SambOz

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
Hi BB, My mate Peter has had a fair few 4x4 Hiluxs from 1996 up to his current new model he loves them, but he is a bugger on clutches, he tows his 6m 2,5t boat and farm trailers, I think he does at lest two clutches in every model 4x4 he has owned except the last one but give him time, But he always takes off in high range 1st gear towing off the boat ramp and has to ride the clutch, Craig
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:38:08 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:48:02 AM »
G'day Craig,

Sounds like he's testing the "Unbreakable Hilux" theory.  ;D

Offline 666Glenn

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:46:56 PM »
Hello barrabart,  I have a 2012 d4d Toyota hilux 3.0 litre Sr have owned from new,  bull bar,  towbar and UHF only ever used 4wd up at Tinaroo pulling ski boat out got 113k on clock. I will be asking 30k with rwc cheers glenn 

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:01:29 PM »
Hey Bart, long time no chat.
My two nephews have the D4D Hiluxes and love them. One is about a 2009 owned since new single cab and the other is about a 2012 or 2013 twin cab. Both vehicles have had no issues.

If it were me, I would be aiming at the SR5 model, they are so much nicer than the base model. Good luck mate. 

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »
Hi Bart, Yep that would be my mate Peter, He gives them a work out aright, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 06:44:42 PM »
Muzza,

Yeah mate, I've been a bit quiet on here, still get on for a read every now and then, but what better place to ask for a bit of info on anything 4wd Camper related....... And yeah mate, I'm looking to score the SR5 for reasons you stated, getting old and a bit soft, hehe.........
Do note though that the last long relationship I had with a Luxy was an '84 dual cab petrol 4wd, with the "big" 3Y power plant, hehe, owned that bugger for 15yrs, sold it in 2007 for a whopping $2500- and did shed a tear, that thing was driven daily and taken into the scrub every week, back when I was a dedicated pig hunter, fitter and faster than I am now!.......... Reckon a modern SR5 might be a bit of an upgrade and more suitable to my current lifestyle.  :cheers:

Know anyone chasing a FZJ105, I reckon I'll be asking ~$13,500 for it.

Actually, I'll post an add maybe later, I'm up at work and only have one recent pic with me, but that'll do for starters.

Offline Barrabart

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
Hello barrabart,  I have a 2012 d4d Toyota hilux 3.0 litre Sr have owned from new,  bull bar,  towbar and UHF only ever used 4wd up at Tinaroo pulling ski boat out got 113k on clock. I will be asking 30k with rwc cheers glenn

Sent you a PM mate.