Author Topic: Poverty Creek Bribie Island  (Read 7203 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Poverty Creek Bribie Island
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
Hey Foo - those smoke pots you've got spread around the place to scare people away are doing a great job! >:D

Pretty sure I saw someone who used to be on here had some form of Mormon gathering sign/flag that they used to use when camping as a group to encourage others to keep their distance.

But on a serious note, does anyone know what the damage has been like? Still planning at least a day trip in the near future but might postpone it a bit if it's had a substantial burn.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 06:46:33 PM »
You didn't have to go and set fire to half the island just to keep me away!

How's it looking at the moment?

All good now.

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 06:48:01 PM »
Pretty sure I saw someone who used to be on here had some form of Mormon gathering sign/flag that they used to use when camping as a group to encourage others to keep their distance.

But on a serious note, does anyone know what the damage has been like? Still planning at least a day trip in the near future but might postpone it a bit if it's had a substantial burn.

I'll see if I can find out for you.

Foo

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »
This is the latest news from Parks n Wild Life.

Closed till 29-8-19

Ocean Beach camping area
Ocean Beach
Northern access track past Poverty Creek turnoff.

Foo

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »

We're booked for the Ocean camp early next month. I'm thinking that I might go for a sticky beforehand as soon as the sites are open again, hopefully later this week.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 10:32:01 AM »
It's not a place you want to visit.  ;) :P

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 11:30:21 AM »
My mum's parents were among the earliest permanent residents in Woorim. I had some good times there when young. My grandfather, being Scottish, was good mates with Ian Fairweather, the local artist, also a Scot.
My very prudish, Catholic grandmother used to frown on us kiddies going to visit Ian at his humpy as he "Lived in sin" with an indigenous woman.  ;D
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2019, 08:40:39 PM »
^^^^   You guys would remember the old guy - Bud, (who rode all over the island on his push bike and lived in a shack across the creek behind the local milko? - and his handmade rickety bridge across the creek); or how about Jerry and Hall's restaurant with the kero lamps and lace table covers for atmosphere; or Mrs Burstows shack on Nth St; or the Koolamama; or the fish and chippy on North Street; and bluey pevors original beer garden ...

Loved falling asleep with the sound of the pounding pacific breaking on the beach a couple of 100 metres away....

The old picture theater; local bribie crusty baked bread; rentons; the massive crock on display on the awning of the snack bar beside the jetty; the annual xmas holidays carni on the grounds where the library is now; . ..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2019, 08:33:53 AM »
^^^^   You guys would remember the old guy - Bud, (who rode all over the island on his push bike and lived in a shack across the creek behind the local milko? - and his handmade rickety bridge across the creek); or how about Jerry and Hall's restaurant with the kero lamps and lace table covers for atmosphere; or Mrs Burstows shack on Nth St; or the Koolamama; or the fish and chippy on North Street; and bluey pevors original beer garden ...

Loved falling asleep with the sound of the pounding pacific breaking on the beach a couple of 100 metres away....

The old picture theater; local bribie crusty baked bread; rentons; the massive crock on display on the awning of the snack bar beside the jetty; the annual xmas holidays carni on the grounds where the library is now; . ..

Thanks, BaseCamp. I remember a few of those things. Rentons had the Hardware Store in Woorim. A woman, Jean, ran the P.O. adjacent. We never really had much to do with "The Calm Side" from memory, except for school. The headmaster was McNaught, a right tyrant! My Grands house was on the corner of Third Avenue and North St.
The barge from Toorbul Point was an adventure. Skipper was Bill Edwards, from memory. I remember sitting in what seemed a long line of traffic for the opening of the bridge (1963?) and my parents marvelling at the construction as we crossed.
Also, the "Bribie Knock".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:52:32 AM by Steffo1 »
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2019, 07:39:55 AM »
Rentons Hardware was on the Bongaree side, Steffo1...   

We had a fibro shack just up from Bluey Piver's joint on North Street, Woorim....

What was the "Bribie Knock"  ??

and wow, I didn't know about the barge from Toorbul Point...   that would have been amazing...   

I read on a memorial thingy on the Bongaree Esplanade the other day; how the bridge opened in 1963 costing 335,000 pounds...   You can still see the little house that the toll collectors lived? in, on the LHS, before you cross the bridge onto the island...

Did you ever get to go the the circus, that would turn up annually in the 60's and 70's?
Or how about the carnival at Christmas?   Dodgems, the works... in Bongaree - this was killed when the council built a library on the site...why, o'why!!

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.