Author Topic: Aussie Swag Camper bike rack ideas please  (Read 1170 times)

Offline loshde

• Tent User
Aussie Swag Camper bike rack ideas please
« on: January 15, 2023, 12:51:36 PM »
Hi All, 
We are looking at finally doing a loop around Aus and we would like to take our bikes with us.  We would like to put a bike rack on the back of our Aussie Swag Trailer.  We want to be able to just take the rack off with the bikes in one piece.  We don't want a swing away as that will impede of use of the offside annex and access to the shower. 
Is there anyone out there that currently has a rack attached to the back of their campers.  If so, would you be able to post a photo of your setup.

Thank you in advance to any help that may be out there.

Cheers
Irene & Roger

Offline manchu

• Tent User
Re: Aussie Swag Camper bike rack ideas please
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
how many bikes?   

Does a bike rack on the back mean you must remove them to set up the camper?         

Maybe better putting them on the front of the CT (using an ISI rack or similar),  or on the roof of the tow vehicle  so they can stay on if you don't need them?

Also, bikes on the CT rear bar  is generally not a great idea.    I usually have  some on the back of our jayco CT  and they do bounce around a bit and make me pretty nervous even on good roads.         

I use a Yakima doubledown 4 rack,  which I can use either on the car (with camper off)  or camper rear bar.    Just recently I tried to remove the whole lot at once (bike rack + 1 x 20" kids MTB + 2 x 16" kids BMX bikes)  and it was a back breaker.   It's just a really awkward lift in general and even moreso if you trying to slot the rack in the hitch receiver. 

FWIW my sister just got home yesterday from their lap in a caravan.    They took their 6 bikes initially but shipped them home almost immediately after realising how much of a hassle they were going to be  and how  overweight they were. 

The following users thanked this post: loshde

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
Re: Aussie Swag Camper bike rack ideas please
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 10:12:45 AM »
As Manchu said, try and get them on the draw bar or the car. The rear bike carrier is a pogo stick and if they are good bikes they will get shaken to bits and also cop all the dust. If you do need to go rear mount i would use a ISI. I have one on the Tambo on the draw bar with a custom mount and they are a great bit of kit which can tilt out of the way or be fitted to the car for day trips.

GG
The following users thanked this post: loshde