Author Topic: *portable* composting toilet...  (Read 2332 times)

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
*portable* composting toilet...
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:36:02 PM »
Interesting...

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cuddy-the-best-portable-composting-toilet#/

$819 Australian.

Not at all "cheap". But not as expensive as a built in composting dunny either.

And it's portable... which no other composting ones are.

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: *portable* composting toilet...
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:15:58 PM »
Easy enough to DIY your own ..plenty of how too's on the net / tube that are exactly the same for less than $50 .. Just not flash injection moulded we will take a chunk of your money types .. At the end of the day its a bucket for tossed / stirred crap and a bottle of whizz in a plastic a vented box .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTt8OoHe4ho.......     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xx9_f7n2b0
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 11:21:55 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 04:13:50 AM »
I first thought it said "potable" .... as in, it resulted in "potable water"  ??? I looked at it more than twice before i got it too.

All i could think was YOU HAVE BE KIDDING.  ;D
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline DandyD

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 05:30:47 AM »
I first thought it said "potable" .... as in, it resulted in "potable water"  ??? I looked at it more than twice before i got it too.

All i could think was YOU HAVE BE KIDDING.  ;D

A mate of mine used to boast that the run off from his septic tank was so clean it was drinkable. Oddly enough, he never accepted any invitations to prove it.

Agree that you could make your own portable composting loo. We have a fancy Swedish one but stripped down, it’s just a bucket for poop and a funnel for pee.

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 12:49:49 PM »
I have been fiddling with an Airhead composting toilet which we have been using on the road the the last 9 months.  A few points that may be of interest:

1. I don't think the carbon filter in this unit will last too long. Composting toilets work by dessicating and composting to poo, so a lot of moisture will go through the carbon filter. Carbon filters in rangehoods don't like moisture and I would expect the same to happen with this loo. The carbon filters you can buy for regular cassette toilets need to be changed regularly. So budget for plenty of spares. Best maybe to duct it outside. There is always some kind of composty smell, which is not offensive.

2. I think you will get sick of emptying the wee bottle. I did, so we had a nipple welded in, added a valve and plumbed it outside. We flush with a 30% solution of white vinegar with a dash of vanilla in it to keep odours down. Stored pee has a smell that you will never forget. So don't let in hang about in a wee bottle.

3. Composting toilets don't like very cold weather or very humid weather.

4. They also don't enjoy too much toilet paper. We fold ours up and put it into a plastic bag which we change every day and is odour free.

Ours lasts a month between emptying with almost continuous use. But we use other loos whenever we can.
Good luck with it. A composting loo is definitely the way to go.

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.