Author Topic: The Daily Scam Thread  (Read 106081 times)

Online Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
Re: The Daily Scam Thread
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2021, 01:24:54 AM »
Possibly not a real scam, just an enterprising company that is happy to charge you $100 to fill in an online form instead of you having to devote 10 minutes of your precious time.

Yep, that's what they are.
Registration Pty Ltd is an Australian business name registration and renewal service offering a range of products & services to help businesses maintain their digital business assets
ABN: 66 641 933 173

https://abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?abn=66641933173

So only scamish.. LOL

https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/registration-pty-ltd
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bob65

• Swag User
« Reply #302 on: November 01, 2021, 01:13:19 PM »
No.

Or it will help, but only for a short time.

These phone scammers will just find a way around what ever obstacles are put in their way.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2021, 01:55:08 PM »
No.

Or it will help, but only for a short time.

These phone scammers will just find a way around what ever obstacles are put in their way.
agree... but gives the impression they are "actioning" the problem
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #304 on: November 01, 2021, 02:37:01 PM »
For every scheme, there is a scam....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #305 on: November 20, 2021, 02:18:02 PM »
Most people will have heard of Jim Browning, the anti-scammer ;D

He's now come up with a new one:

https://twitter.com/JimBrowning11/status/1461797311273648129

(You'll need to unmute the replay, but most of it is still silent except for the last several seconds)

:cup:

& they must be getting desperate ???

I got a call yesterday from the "Australian Criminal Investigation Department", which showed as coming from an NZ phone number!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #306 on: December 15, 2021, 05:04:45 PM »
Hi everyone, just received an email purporting to be from MyGov advising an adjustment to an income tax return, you must verify your details, DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON.

Couple of things smelt fishy, 1, the mail came from MyGov, not my.gov.au, 2, it stated the financial year ending the 13th December, 3, it came to a very old email address no longer in use for anything of any importance. 4, no mention of the Australian Tax Dept.

I immediately checked both of our my gov au accounts and no email, there’s a bloody surprise.

if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #307 on: December 15, 2021, 09:44:31 PM »
Quote from: Pottsy
Hi everyone, just received an email purporting to be from MyGov advising an adjustment to an income tax return, you must verify your details, DO NOT PUSH THE BUTTON.

Couple of things smelt fishy, 1, the mail came from MyGov, not my.gov.au, 2, it stated the financial year ending the 13th December, 3, it came to a very old email address no longer in use for anything of any importance. 4, no mention of the Australian Tax Dept.

I immediately checked both of our my gov au accounts and no email, there’s a bloody surprise.

I actually got a text message today from "ATO" telling me they will put money in my account... check mygov etc.... but theres no button in text messages.
I didnt check MyGov or anything incase something in the text did somehow keylog...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 09:53:40 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2021, 06:15:12 AM »
Unless it actually has your name in the body of the email then it is almost guaranteed to be spam.

I get heaps of them with my email "name" (minus the @yahoo.com.au)

Today's was about a delivery from an online store.  No mention of the store name. eg Amazon, ebay
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline DCP

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2021, 08:45:00 AM »

Five years ago I was scammed with an ATO scam .
Rang the ATO and advised them of the scam to which they told me it was a new one and they were on to it. They then told me that any tax advice, queries, or any thing related to your tax is only ever done by paper., NEVER electronically. The lass on the phone then told me that she would send a paper document to me with all the relevant information I could or would need for future reference . I also now have voice recognition with the Tax Office.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #310 on: January 23, 2022, 07:33:46 PM »
What could possibly go wrong.....   Todays email...

Hello

How are you? I hope you are fine and doing great. I am sorry for coming to you this way, but this is the only means to communicate with you and I hope you will see reason to contact me back after reading this email. I want to share an important information with you, all I ask is that you read this email carefully, understand what I am saying and I need your honest discresion. You may want you to know that, this may cause me my job if words get that I leak out this information, so I need somebody that I can trust and someone who is honest too. My name is Suren Kanthasamy, an Australian living in the United States and work as head of luggage/baggage storage facilities (Operations, Maintenance,
Transportation) at Los Angeles International Airport - L.A.X, USA.

During my recent withheld package routine check at the Airport Storage Vault last year December 2021, I discovered an abandoned shipment which I personally recorded when a Diplomat from Australia flew in October 2020 and when it was scanned, it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a Metal Trunk Boxes weighing approximately 720kg.

The consignment was held on hold because the Contents of the consignment was not properly declared by the consignee as "MONEY"
rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid interrogation and after investigation was complete, the diplomat was fine but the inability of the diplomat to pay for the United States Non Inspection Charges of $5,700.00, he abandon it because he was later rushed to the hospital for suspision of having Covid-19.

The content of the boxes has since been deposited with a bank after report confirmed, the death of the diplomat a month after from Covid-19 complications, leaving no trace or information of any relatives or next of kin. So the reason why I am contacting you is, for you to work with me and act as his next of kin, because you both share the same last name. I will arrange for all documents that you need to present to the autorities at the airport, so that they would know that you are the next of kin to the deceased. The bank will hand over all the money to you by transferring it to your bank account but you have to assure me that, once you receive the funds, it will be share equally.

I wait to hear from you urgently and I will appreciate if we can keep this deal strictly confidential. You might think of it as illegal but it's not, because if no one comes to make claim on it, the government will claim it after 3yrs, so it's not illegal, I just need your support and join me to make claim on it. please get back to me via my private Email:
(hayleeschowalter736@gmail.com) for further directives.

Thanks,

Suren Kanthasamy
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #311 on: January 24, 2022, 07:47:22 AM »
Wow!

720kg of money!!! :cup:

How much are you planning on giving to Swag ??? ;D

:cheers:

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #312 on: March 08, 2022, 07:39:18 PM »
How easy,
This morning I get an email(which looked the same as every other one) from web host. I needed to renew my hosting, ssl certificate.
As I have done for many years, click on the 'Renew' icon.
Enter my card details, next screen, enter the verification code sent to your registered mobile number.
No text, no button to resend.

A little bell rang.
Cancelled the window.
Rang my hosting provider, logged into my account.
Life gets busy, hosting and associated services doesn't need to be renewed.
It's a scam.
Ring CBA, cancel card, told it is repent.
I'm pretty onto this Shit, just tired, slipped through.
Now to change all the direct debts.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #313 on: May 26, 2022, 10:04:57 AM »
Jeff Bezos loves me now :D :D :D  Im moving up in the world.... and who woulda thought Jeff would have a AOL email addy with a different name :D

MY NAME IS JEFFREY P BEZOS, an American technology entrepreneur, investor, and charity Donations. I'm the founder, CEO and president of AMAZON.COM, Inc. I believe strongly in giving while living’ I had one idea that never changed in my mind? that you should use your wealth to help people and i have decided to give Two Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars, to randomly selected
individuals worldwide. On receipt of this email, you should count yourself as the lucky individual. Your email address was chosen online while searching at random. Kindly get back to me at your earliest convenience, so I know your email address is valid.

You can visit this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Bezos

Do make sure you provide me with your complete information below, so that I will forward it to my selected payout bank for disbursement,

Your Name.
Your Address.
Country.
Age.
Sex.
Mobile.

Reply Back For More Information.
jeffreyprestonbe@aol.com ),
Best Regard,
Mr Jeffrey P. Bezos
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #314 on: June 13, 2022, 01:07:50 PM »
Another scam... just confirmed with ING... they have been smashed with this one apparently.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #315 on: June 14, 2022, 05:43:17 AM »
for a while now my spam & crap has been pretty quiet, but over the last few weeks it has blown up. Multiple emails every day all offering unbelievable "investment" opportunities. Usually with some sort of endorsement from some sort of media personality.

Couldn't work out why the spam had suddenly become so active, but then got an email (which appears to be legitimate) from Big W -
Dear Valued Customer,

At BIG W, your privacy is our priority and we have robust security measures in place to safeguard your information and actively monitor for any suspicious activity. During these routine checks, we found some suspicious activity which we are confident originates from outside BIG W. Whilst we have investigated the activity, we wanted to inform you that your login details have been accessed and used to login to your BIG W online account without your permission. The personal information you have shared with BIG W, such as your name and contact details, may also have been viewed. Information on how to safeguard your personal information is included in this email

Guess I now know why I'm suddenly being scammed.

Thankfully my Big W account is just the one you need to print photos from their kiosk and it's not associated with any purchase activity, but it's another example of why you shouldn't use the same password for everything (which I don't).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 05:46:27 AM by Spada »
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #316 on: July 27, 2022, 02:59:07 PM »
Mrs copped this one via SMS this morning & for a while, we really wondered about it after the 3 of us all tested Positive yesterday!

Just uncanny timing >:(

https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/text-message-scam-for-free-covid-19-test-kit

The following users thanked this post: Capt Cam

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #317 on: August 02, 2022, 11:35:31 AM »
For the IT crew,
How does an email reach your in box and it's not your servers address?
It may have the address in front of the @
Right, but not the rest.
I have contacted my Web Host, they can't answer why their spam/virus doesn't pick it up, but it gets delivered to my inbox.
Hmmm
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:58:59 PM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #318 on: August 03, 2022, 11:46:51 AM »
For anyone that uses whatsapp there is a scam/scheme going around with young asian women trying to befriend you and rope you into their crypto currency investment scheme. They play the long game and string you along for ages before they start dropping hints about investment schemes.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #319 on: August 03, 2022, 01:54:31 PM »
Quote from: loanrangie
For anyone that uses whatsapp there is a scam/scheme going around with young asian women trying to befriend you and rope you into their crypto currency investment scheme. They play the long game and string you along for ages before they start dropping hints about investment schemes.

you only need to invest 2 dorra?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #320 on: August 03, 2022, 02:13:08 PM »
you only need to invest 2 dorra?

An she love you long time!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #321 on: August 12, 2022, 06:07:14 PM »
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2023, 10:25:23 AM »
this sort of scam has been occurring in Europe for years... didnt know it was happening here.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersAustralia/videos/6163794673670206/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Online Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »
this sort of scam has been occurring in Europe for years... didnt know it was happening here.

https://www.facebook.com/DashCamOwnersAustralia/videos/6163794673670206/

haha, I think she got hit a bit harder than she expected... Some of the Asian ones are funny. Saw one where this woman threw herself at the front of a stopped car a couple of times before she realised it was pointless.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan. I miss being able to acces the little tracks off into the scrub.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2023, 12:12:18 PM »
haha, I think she got hit a bit harder than she expected... Some of the Asian ones are funny. Saw one where this woman threw herself at the front of a stopped car a couple of times before she realised it was pointless.
LOL!!!
theres one in UK where bloke runs backwards with his motor scooter into the car thats stopped behind him... dude does an olympic gold medal dive onto bonnet - and once he realises she has dash cam he and his "witness" take off into sunset...

Edit: hows the bonnet dive LMAO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnP7-1-W4VQ
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:23:47 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03