Author Topic: GEORGES JUNCTION BEING SHUT DOWN !!!  (Read 13539 times)

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
GEORGES JUNCTION BEING SHUT DOWN !!!
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:09:46 PM »
Had a phone call about this about an hour ago from a concerning mate and fellow swagger. I know lots of myswaggers frequent this awesome spot and have had some great times there, but just came across this in my email box. Not good and i suppose it was bound to happen one day.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/articles/2016/another-stunning-campsite-closed-because-grubs?mc_cid=4adc3811b6&mc_eid=a02b052c9f
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: GEORGES JUNCTION BEING SHUT DOWN !!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 02:34:14 PM »
Where is it, Google Maps doesn't know it?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »
So your brilliant write up didn't so us any favours then   ;D

I remember it now, went there as a kid.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 02:55:36 PM »
Once closed, never to reopen usually..

As of this week, another campground has been officially rubber stamped not far from Georges !!

You will have to pay, but has toilets and showers I believe. $20/night for the site...2 adults, 2 kids....no motorbikes, but controlled pets OK.

Called Cracknback Campground.  16 sites over 30 acres.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:34:22 PM »
Which section of Georges Junction is 'closed' Kev?  The section across the Macleay River as the main section above the river is on a TSR so I can not imagine it being closed. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 07:50:28 PM »
I don't know the rules of a TSR, but if the council puts a sign up with penalties for camping, maybe it's a bluff or maybe they can enforce it ??

But seeing as they are crown land I don't know who has the jurisdiction to erect a sign ??
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 09:03:28 PM »
Can you public servant types enlighten us all?
http://www.acronymfinder.com/TSR.html
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »
TSR = traveling stock route https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_route
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:42:53 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:38:10 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
As ever reliable as facebook is it appears the 'closed' area is across the river.  Would still need to check with the relevant authorities but it appears the main camping area is still okay. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline kenny

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »
Unfortunately, the more we publicise the beautiful places we enjoy going to, the more people it attracts and eventually this leads to the closure of these places. People need to realise that TSR land is for travelling stock and never has been vacant land for free camping. Another spot that has been getting a lot of advertisement in the past by 4wda and Pat etc etc is the old Glenn Innes Rd. Lovely drive with lots of camps on the river where people believe they can camp. In fact it is another stock route and it is illegal to camp there and now it is close to being closed due to people and their dogs chasing the cattle away from the water and rubbish they leave behind for the farmers to clean. The farmers are not happy with the crowd that comes to that area now from all the advertisement and they are looking for ways to enforce the law.

To use tsr you must obtain a permit. And yes you can get a permit to camp on a tsr....

As some of you know i do a fair bit of traveling and one thing that stands out in our travels is all the rubbish and human wast that is left behind.

Happy traveling Ken
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 07:14:54 AM »

To use tsr you must obtain a permit. And yes you can get a permit to camp on a tsr....

Looking at some websites, all I could find out was yes you need a permit to travel along one with cattle, but no mention anywhere of camping, let alone needing a permit to do so ?
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 09:09:57 AM »
Looking at some websites, all I could find out was yes you need a permit to travel along one with cattle, but no mention anywhere of camping, let alone needing a permit to do so ?

You need lawful authority to use them. eg a permit. If you are using the for recreational purposes can only be done between sunrise and sunset.
Camping on Crownland is only permitted in areas designated for camping
Additionally local council by-laws need to be considered

LOCAL LAND SERVICES ACT 2013 - SECT 72
Unauthorised uses of travelling stock reserves
72 Unauthorised uses of travelling stock reserves

A person must not, without lawful authority:
(a) enter or remain on a travelling stock reserve, or
(b) occupy or make use of any travelling stock reserve for any purpose, or
(c) engage in any activity that damages, or is likely to damage, a travelling stock reserve.
Maximum penalty: 50 penalty units.

LOCAL LAND SERVICES ACT 2013 - SECT 74
Authorised use of travelling stock reserves for recreational activities
74 Authorised use of travelling stock reserves for recreational activities
(1) A person is authorised to use a travelling stock reserve (whether controlled or managed) or part of any such reserve on any day between sunrise and sunset for any recreational activity prescribed by the regulations, subject to this Act and any conditions prescribed by the regulations.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway
The following users thanked this post: alnjan

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 09:19:31 AM »
Thanks for the TSR heads up and they may be one of those useage rights that slips through the cracks of specific jurisdiction.

As for-
"As some of you know i do a fair bit of traveling and one thing that stands out in our travels is all the rubbish and human wast that is left behind"
it's a shame a minority don't recognize what abusing the privilege ultimately leads to if they're continually dumping their costs on locals and their Councils.

I have a 20M rule when free camping of cleaning up that radius down to the bottle caps and bread tags and even the toilet paper on a stick and it's not much trouble hitting the bins with it on the travels. Recall having an overnighter at Padthaway Cons Park and one spot was a real mess with some bathroom reno junk, tyres, oil containers, bottles, cans, you name it, even down to discarded packaging for camping gear some had bought. We did a fair ant parade stacking it all with the bathroom reno junk and I emailed a photo and location for the local Council to deal with, as at least they'd know what they were dealing with.

There's a lot of clubs, associations and forums for camping and I've thought for some time it would be great if with the industry we all got behind a universal 20M Rule campaign with a nationally identifiable sticker onboard and are you one of us and if not why not neighbour? We don't need Gummint for that and the industry knows where it's bread is buttered.

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 09:38:51 AM »
Thanks for the TSR heads up and they may be one of those useage rights that slips through the cracks of specific jurisdiction.

As for-
"As some of you know i do a fair bit of traveling and one thing that stands out in our travels is all the rubbish and human wast that is left behind"
it's a shame a minority don't recognize what abusing the privilege ultimately leads to if they're continually dumping their costs on locals and their Councils.

I have a 20M rule when free camping of cleaning up that radius down to the bottle caps and bread tags and even the toilet paper on a stick and it's not much trouble hitting the bins with it on the travels. Recall having an overnighter at Padthaway Cons Park and one spot was a real mess with some bathroom reno junk, tyres, oil containers, bottles, cans, you name it, even down to discarded packaging for camping gear some had bought. We did a fair ant parade stacking it all with the bathroom reno junk and I emailed a photo and location for the local Council to deal with, as at least they'd know what they were dealing with.

There's a lot of clubs, associations and forums for camping and I've thought for some time it would be great if with the industry we all got behind a universal 20M Rule campaign with a nationally identifiable sticker onboard and are you one of us and if not why not neighbour? We don't need Gummint for that and the industry knows where it's bread is buttered.

:cup: :cup:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »

As for-

This is from a reply made to Senator Ricky Muir's facebook post today about dumping and rubbish from day trippers at one of his local fishing spots.

"This is the quantity of roadside rubbish collected by Walhalla residents on 8km of the road into Walhalla…3km to go! This has all be thrown from car windows or dumped in turn-outs…just charming don't you think?"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153888805223792&set=p.10153888805223792&type=3&theater
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 10:56:35 AM »
You need lawful authority to use them. eg a permit. If you are using the for recreational purposes can only be done between sunrise and sunset.

You're a better googler than me !!   :cup:

I have stayed at a few places that were either crown land, no mans land, unfenced private property or something else, but I leave the place as I found it. But these places are usually out of sight of anyone.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Never enough time

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 07:14:39 PM »
George's Junction is free, and is a great spot, camped there numerous times.
A nearby better spot is West Kudnerang, but you have to pay.
I've also camped at George's Junction, only to have obnoxious Yobbos (male and female) setting up only 40m away.
West Kunderang keeps that type out, or they are a considerable distance from you, but can be booked out in busy times.

Vehicles; Presently Prado 2021, previously three Pajeros
Camper; Complete Campsite Exodus 13 (2011 build), previously Kimberly Kamper and prior to that Soft Floor 16ft

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 07:39:21 PM »
I've camped at Blackbird Flat a couple of times and being closer to Kempsey, more chance of yobbos, but both times it was all good.

The new campground, Cracknback is a bit further out than Blackbird, but you have to pay.

West Kunderang looks great, but a bit far out just for a weekend.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
Bass lodge is just across the road from Georges Junction. I just checked their site and there is mention made of the closure. Will try to paste the link but I'm not renowned for my computer skills.
http://www.basslodge.com.au/

Ken

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 05:53:20 AM »
I've just been reading on a Facebook page that this close down may not be true, apparently a bit of bad journalism from 4wda, who would of guessed that?
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Fathom

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 07:13:27 AM »
Perhaps they didn't pay their sponsorship money?
Always give 100%... Unless you are giving blood.. then it may not go so well...

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »
Im staying at cracknback this weekend which is only a few klms down the road so will check it out with my own eyes to wether it's closed. The new campsite at cracknback has been only open for a few weeks and is limited to 16 spots. Will report back on what it's like
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper