Author Topic: GEORGES JUNCTION BEING SHUT DOWN !!!  (Read 13501 times)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: GEORGES JUNCTION BEING SHUT DOWN !!!
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 07:46:37 AM »
Im staying at cracknback this weekend which is only a few klms down the road so will check it out with my own eyes to wether it's closed. The new campsite at cracknback has been only open for a few weeks and is limited to 16 spots. Will report back on what it's like

Pics !! Especially how the access down to the river is.  :cheers:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »
Im staying at cracknback this weekend which is only a few klms down the road so will check it out with my own eyes to wether it's closed. The new campsite at cracknback has been only open for a few weeks and is limited to 16 spots. Will report back on what it's like
i look forward to the report, a friend of ours asked if we wanted to do Easter there. I don't feel like doing the 6 hour drive to get there this year, but if your report is glowing of the place, I may at some stage head down there.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 02:04:50 PM »
Pics !! Especially how the access down to the river is.  :cheers:

No problem will post a few pics up when I get back
i look forward to the report, a friend of ours asked if we wanted to do Easter there. I don't feel like doing the 6 hour drive to get there this year, but if your report is glowing of the place, I may at some stage head down there.

Yeah I'm quite interested to find out what it's like. There website seems to be fairly comprehensive and the pics look good. Only one way to find out, packing as we speak
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper

Offline Titfish

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »
Would you mind posting a link to their website. All I seem to get is Crackenback in the snowies.
Thanks
Ken

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 08:14:52 PM »
Would you mind posting a link to their website. All I seem to get is Crackenback in the snowies.
Thanks
Ken

http://wallpoppy4.wix.com/cracknback

That's the website 👍
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper
The following users thanked this post: Titfish

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 08:36:39 PM »
I've been a bit quiet over here recently... trailer plans went on hold, so I limited myself to which forums I frequented in that time.

I spotted this story first up on Facebook locally, and then saw it on 4x4Earth as well.

I've copied and pasted below the results of conversations I had with people up here in Armidale; Last weekend I went down the Armidale - Kempsey road (well, sort of... I took a back road down to Lower Creek from Styx State Forest) and saw the guys at Cracknback as well.

The quoted posts below are my posts to 4x4Earth:

17 January:
Comments are as follows:
-I don't think it's closed; no signs saying it was closed and people were camping there still (and have been for a while).
-There were no tyre marks in the top area, just one yellowed patch of grass from a tent.
-Guy who runs the new campsite down the way (Cracknback, find it on Facebook) was saying that:
-- Armidale Council manage the rubbish collection
-- LLS NW manage the TSR aspect
And that the cows are owned by a number of people.

What I actually think has happened is that 4WD Action are getting half truths out there, without checking 100%. I will try to find out more over the next few days from the Visitor Information centre, Council and LLS and report back.

19th January:
I went to talk to the nice people at the Visitor Information centre here in Armidale; I have a good relationship with them as I work for a caravan park in town as well, so deal with them most shifts.

They did some ringing around, as one of the staff there had heard the same story. The results are:
-Armidale Dumaresq council say that they have not heard anything about it being closed other than the article from 4WD Action (and a lot of people ringing up to ask questions about it since Friday)
-Rang Riverview Lodges who are down there to confirm, and likewise they had only heard about it from 4WD Action's post... and they said they had also seen people camping at George's Junction

So, to conclude, we do not think (99% certain) that it is closed, however the VIC are trying to get from 4WD Action where they got the information from (the VIC manager was firing off emails as I left!) as at the moment it seems to be unfounded truths.

Later on on the 17th:
I've just had an email back from the guys at the VIC, and there's going to be an update from 4WD Action on Thursday...

I suspect there is some truth in what 4WD Action said, but the way they said it did not convey it properly, and ultimately the camping is still open on the main area on the road side of the Macleay River.

21 Jan:
OK, response from 4WD Action is up now.

What it doesn't say is that the original article bore no relation to the actual situation there, and that the way they had written the piece was quite wrong; GJ was never closed, rather one area that was being used was closed off due to the idiots - but their original story never explained that, rather it said that GJ was closed... that's quite a bit of a difference... oh well, it's 4WD Action, what else do we expect? They'll never let the truth get in the way of a good story...

Hope that helps everyone,

Ed (also posts on Australian CamperTrailer Facebook group)
The following users thanked this post: alnjan, edz

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 08:58:30 PM »
Sounds like 4WD Action
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2016, 06:41:03 PM »
Hi guys, sorry for the delay. As mentioned above, It all appears a case of poor journalism on behalf of 4wd action (surprise surprise!!!!). When I was staying up at Cracknback campground on the Australia Day weekend there were plenty of people camped at out at George's junction. Sorry I didn't get any pics as is left my phone back at camp
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
Hi guys, sorry for the delay. As mentioned above, It all appears a case of poor journalism on behalf of 4wd action (surprise surprise!!!!). When I was staying up at Cracknback campground on the Australia Day weekend there were plenty of people camped at out at George's junction. Sorry I didn't get any pics as is left my phone back at camp

We don't want any pics of Georges...we want pics of Cracknback !! ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline slcs78

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »
Hang on hang on I'm getting there lol. I will post a thread up on cracknback tomorrow hopefully
2012 colorado LTZ
MDC V4 TBox camper

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
Hang on hang on I'm getting there lol. I will post a thread up on cracknback tomorrow hopefully

:cup: :cheers:
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »

were they just camping at the top of the Junction or across the river and up river from the Junction?
Cheers

Al and/or Jan