Author Topic: What content do you want in a 4wd or camper trailer magazine !!  (Read 20537 times)

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What content do you want in a 4wd or camper trailer magazine !!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 08:14:59 PM »
I agree with Danbri, Lost and Bussoboy.

Keep the extreme stuff for the extreme mags.

I can remember when CTT did a lot of camper tests in each issue, mainly by Brendan Batty. I liked this because it meant that one person could compare the campers and you could judge what he really thought. The first thing I looked at was the box at the start of the article that showed the pros and cons of each trailer, but I noticed that stopped after one manufacturer took offence at their review. Now we only get the positives and no the true picture.

I realise GIC, Jimboomba, etc are paying the bills but please give us some variation. I know most people want family friendly soft floor reviews but there are a lot of couples now travelling (grey nomads and the soon to be), and they can have spending power at that stage in their life, so how about a few of the top end hard floor reviews.

Maybe if we only received DVDs every 2-3 months then the need to pack them with the same manufacturers might diminish, and reviews that stated the facts, not the advertising, might become more prevalent.

And, as said, more humour. I think Graham Cahill was a great presenter and writer, and is still quite good, but is slowly being pressured into following the set EMG line.

x2

That was one of the reasons why I stopped the subscription, I was sick of those bloody GIC ads and the other cheap trailer manufacturers....plus the DVD's are old rehashed of Ruthy barrelling around the scrub and making a fool of himself, then saying it was fun...fun.
Yeh, lying under a 4wd in the dirt for hours on end, scraping knuckles and grease fixing wheel and suspension parts you have damaged on purpose because you have stupidity hit a rock that you saw. 

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:02 PM »
I get that people have different interests, but dont assume we all drive some crappy 6" lifted, 350 Chev machine with rock sliders, double diff locks and fron and back winches! I enjoy 4x4ing, andeven though my idea of a good time involves more driving than winching, it doesnt mean that they need to fill the mag from front to back cover with these machines. If i had one of these trucks, id buy a mag dedicated to this type of vehicle. A CT mag should appeal to the mainstream market which i'd have thought was tourers and people with mildly modd'ed toenhance safety and bush capability trucks, not competition rock crawlers.

And I too an sick of the pic of  3 knuckleheads standing and pointing at a truck/trailer/tyre/air compressor/winch. It is totally pointless and just means that the "writer" (I shudder to use the journalist) has to write less as more column inches are taken up by pics!

the problem is, that the so called dedicated mags, are just as crap, and, I have a CT that will go every where my pootrol can! my tug would fit into the category of tuff tourer (only 3" of lift with 33" muddies (but I don't have lockers) high mount winch etc), and yes I like to go to the hard to get to places, a less modified 4wd just won't make it with out a struggle, so yes I like to read about some of the "rock crawlers" that you speak of, but I have a CT( all home make by me) and like to read articles on diy mods on them and the tug.

:cheers: troy
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:45 PM »
Correct Gunna Do the idea was what information and features you would like to see in a magazine not bagging certain magazines. The thread was to hopefully get magazine companies to read and find out what we all want in them.

Advertising is a fact of life and pushing certain advertisers are always going to be there but look past that. Yes tyres, compressors, fridges and other tests will always be repeated as new models will always come on the market and I enjoy these comparisons.

I would like more readers trips with great photos as they are not swayed by advertisers. So here is your chance to do a trip report and send it to them like I have for this years Cape Trip.

Mark
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 08:51:44 PM by McGirr »
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 08:56:47 PM »

And more cooking with camp ovens that don't include stew stew stew and camp oven tips too please ... nothing fancy like types of meat or cheese you can only find in some exotic deli in china town either ... real food using ingredients from the local store please or things we can catch along the way (yes I've done curried bunny before ... tastes like chicken  ;D ).

I know it's a bit National Geographics, but a decent map every once in a while would be nice too.  "Featuring the Kimberleys and here's a map!" maybe?

Tips on keeping the dust out or the food upright or the Fur Kids happy whilst camping (in fact can you feature a dog friendly place on occasion as some of us prefer those to actual kids ... no offense intended) or keeping the flies at bay or how to pack the car or the real reason a good long handled shovel is a must or how NOT to pack the roof rack once you've learned how to mount one in 5 easy steps ...

Fingers are tired again ...
Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 09:17:16 PM »
more local trips NOT just local to Brisbane, Sydney or Melbourne!!!!!!!!!!!!!  and the usual suspects Vic HC, coffs etc........
I live in north east Queensland, so maybe a few trips to the southern gulf country, or the basalt wall out near Charters, porcupine gorge or winton  for example, these are within 3-5 hours of townsville. and the odd dvd from CTA would be nice, and through in a map if your doing a major article on an area, so we can all plan our future trips, and give a rough budget for the trip. more readers rigs and trip reports and DIY mods/services, upgrades or installs. and most of what has been said before ;D less adds blah blah blah

troy
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 08:27:19 AM »
Correct Gunna Do the idea was what information and features you would like to see in a magazine not bagging certain magazines. The thread was to hopefully get magazine companies to read and find out what we all want in them.

Advertising is a fact of life and pushing certain advertisers are always going to be there but look past that. Yes tyres, compressors, fridges and other tests will always be repeated as new models will always come on the market and I enjoy these comparisons.

I would like more readers trips with great photos as they are not swayed by advertisers. So here is your chance to do a trip report and send it to them like I have for this years Cape Trip.

Mark

They would get a good idea by reading the trip reports in the forums, there are some humdingers in some of the forums.

Joff from Overlander (and here) ausastar and Bushie from AULRO (and here) Gunna Do and Darren from here to name a few.

What might get me to buy a mag would be, a more varied view of 4WDs and Campers, not just the same ol same ol jacked up Nissans and Toyotas, I wanna see other makes, Mitsubishis, single and dual cab utes, Land Rovers and Jeeps that are setup well for touring, I often go up to guys when I'm out touring around to check out the mods they have done to the rig and camper, half the mods on my Disco and camper are ideas I got from other setups and the majority of my mods are not from Land Rovers I've seen.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »
Quote from: McGirr
Advertising is a fact of life and pushing certain advertisers are always going to be there but look past that.
Obviously 90% of the people in this thread have spoken are suggesting what they dont want in the magazine and are hoping that the magazine people are reading and taking it into account, the major part of the mag is these ads or pushing certain products.

Why cannot all the ads be at the back of the magazine? Have the meaty stuff first. Shit last.

Yes tyres, compressors, fridges and other tests will always be repeated as new models will always come on the market and I enjoy these comparisons.
The issue is hardly anybody trusts what they write - you read that in everyone of these threads. Specially when its followed by massive advertising spreads.
When 2 different magazines in 2 mths both do the same 'indepth testing' on a product, say Spotlights for example ... when one magazine has product A being best and Z being worst in 1 mag, and Z being best and A worst in the other you have to have doubts...

I would like more readers trips with great photos as they are not swayed by advertisers.
agree
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 10:42:29 AM »
I'm probably a bit different to most because I don't mind the advertising it gives me more pretty pictures of products I may or may not be able to afford to look at and read about.

Also when they do tests, lets say the compressor tests or the winch tests they done not long ago, I really like the trouble they go to to set the tests up and make it an even field for everyone.

For example, winching the same vehicle up the same hill using different winches, one fails and one doesn't. Do you really think they are lying to us and saying one failed and one didn't because of the advertising dollar?

I might be naive but I believe what they say happened during their tests!! 

And it makes good business sense to tell mr winch manufacturer that your winch just won our testing article so now is a good time to put a full page ad in just after the article??

I do understand what some people are saying in that certain products are pushed heavily and wont cop a bad wrap while the company that owns the products is a main contributor to the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Take GIC for example. You don't honestly believe they pay X amount of dollars for the enormous amount of advertising and exposure they get through the EMG magazines??  Personally I don't think so. I think they must have some sort of profit sharing arrangement in their 'partnership' with the magazines.
Id guess it is an arrangement that is worked out between the two parties for a period of time and then they work on the suck it and see scenario. GIC sell a lot of campers because of 4WD action then EMG get a nice little profit from those sales, win win all round............but I could be wrong??

Anyway I guess Im happy with the magazines I read, you cant please everyone. If I was to be critical, I personally like reading trip reports on forums.

Some of them are great reads. Written by mr average just like myself. Unbiased, tell it like it was type stories. I got bogged in soft sand because I couldnt be bothered airing down from 35 psi type thing....warts and all stories by real people.

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 11:13:40 AM »
If you don't like em dont buy em. There is plenty of info on here. Infact there are a lot of people on here who put quite a lot of time into their reports and they also have the better wisdom than most journalists. I gave up buying a magazine a few years ago because it was just repeating itself. They then started doing comparo's on products and you could tell they were PAID comparo's. I bought the magazine a few years ago to see if it had changed. But what really got me was one bloke quoted what I should be doing because this certain mag said it was the way to get done. These magazines arent a bible and they should not be treated as such. People can be bribed and articles in some/ most magazine's reflect this. Though no one will ever own up to it.

Learn how to be thrifty and use what you have available. Life should be your experiences and not those of a magazine. We are all different and we all make up our one minds (some better than others) Sorry I can hear SWMBO talking :) .

Anyway sorry for that I know this thread was supposed to be about what you want in a mag.

If you are new to camping join a group of people who aren't and travel with them for a while. If you are new to 4wding join a 4wd club. There are clubs out there who like to just tour and camp with a little bit of low range work. Best thing I ever did was a 4wd training course. I had to try to bog a telstra 75 series on cable beach it wouldn't bog even in 2wd and 40psi in all tyres. Had fun trying though. They even taught me how to use a winch and other recovery equipment safely. These things are worth every penny and they have people in them who care that you are with them they take about $70 a year from you and a mag takes about $120 if your not subscribed.

Everything I want from a mag has already been said above. Index at front. Articles in middle and adds at back.

Cheers Paul.

I still buy a couple of mags but I search through them before I do to see if there is anything that I want to read.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
Ok so why dont we start an online MYSWAG mag ??? lol With articles contributed from the forum members?

I have become sick and tired of the obvious Cash for comment style reporting. Nothing seems to be a legit report anymore, they all seem to be a report on new products available from their (one assumes high paying) sponsors. If I want to buy a product , I will do the research myself. Not be swayed by a biased "report" in a CT mag.

I would love to see more trip reports to the smaller lesser known spots. Not the overcrowded- everyman and his dog there- cost a fortune- popular parks.

Readers Mods .... love them. some great ideas, many that I have pinched for myself.

and STOP rehashing old articles and passing them off as new content! That is criminal journalism in my eyes ......

I do think it would be a good idea to have a "test it and rate it" section on this forum, where we can do a REAL WORLD test on camping items (gennies, solar panels, cookware etc) and submit a report. Maybe some kind of template should be used ( to make it an even judging field)

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Ok so why dont we start an online MYSWAG mag ??? lol With articles contributed from the forum members?

Since I found myswag I have stopped buying the magazines. Most of the articles I need are here, you just have to search for them a bit sometmes. :cup:

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »
Ok so why dont we start an online MYSWAG mag ???
you have it already infront of you... its called the forum.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

morgansmall

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 03:28:18 PM »
Whilst there's more info to be found on the internet, I enjoy the realityof reading a magazine, on the bus, at a campsite, waiting in the doctor's surgery whatever.  Last thing I want to do after staring at a computer at work for 8 hours is read more stuff on a screen.  

Anyway the kinds of stuff that would make Camper Trailer mags more interesting for me are:

• In depth reviews of new camper trailers and new camper trailer manufacturers to the market, not different models from the same 3 manufacturers.  Yes, even the crappy Chinese ones.  Just be honest.
  • In depth reviews of suitable towing vehicles, and not just 4wd's.  Why are people only able to enjoy "camper trailers and the outback touring lifestyle" with diff locks?
  • If I read enough about other peoples' personal experiences of a camping destination I might decide not to go there 'coz I've experienced all of it in writing.  Keep your travellers' tales about their travels in general, but give us more facts about camping destinations.  Good maps, where to get fuel, what there is to do in the area, which are the best camping pitches.  And for God's sake please, please, please leave out the obligatory photo of a family sitting around looking into the campfire, especially off the cover.  It's boring.
  • Provide some info on other stuff you can do when camping.  Do an article on bikes, adult camp games, kid's stuff, how to start fishing.  There's more to camping than fishing, walking 100 metres to see a waterfall, growing a goatee and sitting around staring into a campfire.
  • Yes more readers' mods (for those that are handy)

The other things like new gear reviews, comparo's, are all good to stay, as long as they're honest and factual.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:32:26 PM by morgansmall »

Offline yogi

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Smarter than the average Bear
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 03:35:27 PM »
I hate seeing shinny new 4x4's with all brand new bit's fitted and then they go on to tell you how great the setup is .... it's brand new how the f#%$ would they know it never been off road ....... lol ..... I want to see a 4x4 that's done 100 000k's of hard touring then you can say what did or didn't work.

99% of the time I only watch the DVD and might flick through the mag once 8)

I would like to see more super tough CT destinations. Getting there is half the fun ..... One of the main reasons I bought a CT was to make the 4x4ing harder and more challenging.

Product comparisons are BS most of the time .... bit more honesty would be good.

yogi

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 06:02:44 PM »
Was disappointed with the latest [no 25?] CTT mag where over 60 pages were set aside as a buyers guide. Like many people, I have a CT, I'm not looking to upgrade anytime soon so to have a large part of the mag taken up with something I'm not interested in was a waste. Next time I think the buyers guide should be a separate suppliment.

Also go tired of the 4WD action repeating the tests again & again, besides how many times do we need to see Roothy "Do the Cape"?

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
I hate seeing shinny new 4x4's with all brand new bit's fitted and then they go on to tell you how great the setup is .... it's brand new how the f#%$ would they know it never been off road ....... lol ..... I want to see a 4x4 that's done 100 000k's of hard touring then you can say what did or didn't work.

99% of the time I only watch the DVD and might flick through the mag once 8)

I would like to see more super tough CT destinations. Getting there is half the fun ..... One of the main reasons I bought a CT was to make the 4x4ing harder and more challenging.

Product comparisons are BS most of the time .... bit more honesty would be good.

yogi

Come to the High Country with us and we can sort that out for you ;D

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 07:37:25 PM »
Was disappointed with the latest [no 25?] CTT mag where over 60 pages were set aside as a buyers guide.
Hem

I was really looking forward to this issue which incidentally had 'Collectors Edition' on the front cover.  I was expecting it to be a true buyers guide with a camper from every manufacturer out there, not just 5 manufacturers with every camper they have - most of which have already been reviewed in the last three editions of the mag - a very poor effort!

What I would like to see: Them stopping superimposing the stupid GIC logo everywhere they can!!!!!!!  It's on the backs of every trailer, it's even on the canvas and it is just too over the top!

Offline Boo Boo

• Tent User
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
HEM19X .... when we were up there this year guess who we saw ...... lol ..... you had better get ready for a few more DVD's of Roothy doing the Cape .... with his new best mate from GIC ;D

Redback ...... sounds like a plan 8)

yogi

PS(Doh .... popsted from the wifes account how embarisment)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:13:41 PM by Boo Boo »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 11:00:05 PM »
Quote from: Boo Boo
you had better get ready for a few more DVD's of Roothy doing the Cape ....
Gee.... let me rush out and subscribe.. they may give out a free GIC sticker with every subscription to make it worth while.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 11:03:44 PM »
I stopped buying mags when I got my iPad - now I can read Myswag on the throne instead... ;D

For years I've kept the magazine publishers in business, but honestly the forums are so much better it's hard to see where the future of mags is. I think the smart ones will have to get online ASAP and ensure they have a good iPad- compatible product, coz that's reality now.

I read the newspaper on the 'pad now too. Me, a Luddite, so what hope for the hardcopy brigade in future! Advertisers can still help pay the bills online, if the web mag "sells" enough hits/subscriptions.

Not sure what I'll put in the waiting room in future though......

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »

I have become sick and tired of the obvious Cash for comment style reporting. Nothing seems to be a legit report anymore, they all seem to be a report on new products available from their (one assumes high paying) sponsors. If I want to buy a product , I will do the research myself. Not be swayed by a biased "report" in a CT mag.

I would love to see more trip reports to the smaller lesser known spots. Not the overcrowded- everyman and his dog there- cost a fortune- popular parks.

Readers Mods .... love them. some great ideas, many that I have pinched for myself.

and STOP rehashing old articles and passing them off as new content! That is criminal journalism in my eyes ......

I do think it would be a good idea to have a "test it and rate it" section on this forum, where we can do a REAL WORLD test on camping items (gennies, solar panels, cookware etc) and submit a report. Maybe some kind of template should be used ( to make it an even judging field)

Cheers Chippy :D

Chippy
I think your onto something there.

It may not need to be an online mag as such but how about a complete package of the forums best bits for each month or quarter or whatever.

You could have a couple of the best trip reports, maybe some updates on the CT's etc being built by members, show some the best mods that have been displayed on the forums. You could have a humour section where some of the one liners or funny things that happened could get put together in a nice little package. The list is endless really :)

Not everyone gets time to catch up on the happenings of the forum on a daily or weekly basis, so to be able to browse a dedicated 'highlights' section where all the best bits (as voted by the members?) are displayed could be a real good idea??

You could also do some product testing by real people who are totally unbiased. Geez you may even invite companies to advertise in that part of forum? Ok maybe not so popular, but someone has to pay for this place so it could be an outlet to offset some of the costs?

Could also be a bit time consuming but Im sure there would be volunteers??  LOL

Whatcha's reckon? Chippy your a bloody genius mate!
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Sharpy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
Hi all,
Saw his thread and just had to comment. My 4WD Monthly mags fill boxes and shelves with nothing to do with them? Mum and Dad kept buying annual subscription and greatly received and read in the down stairs ablutions room. Now updated to Camper trailer monthly, they are filling the recycle box as we type.
The "compares" were great to read until ARB fridge won over the Aussie Bushman Fridge >:(??? This was the end of the line as the obvious bias to sponsors ruled over common sense. Show me why the ARB fridge is better than the Bushman???
Bushman + cheaper, less current draw, better options and still good build????Sold out to the ARB rip off that is the ICON, read as people selling stuff to others who have no idea of 4WD and camper trailer needs.
Great forum answers all the questions no mag needed however dose not work in the down stairs loo ;D

Went to ARB Tempe and watched them sell new Prado lift kit, mud tyres, bull bar and etc to some one who described himself as 10% dirt road use only $12k. Fist and last time I go anywhere near that shop.

However agree forum at Myswag replaces the need for these easy reading mags :laugh

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2011, 10:25:34 AM »
What I would like to read is a trailer review over a longer period.
Not a review where they took the trailer to the local caravan pak, set up the trailer, had a look inside and bring the trailer back to the showroom.
Have it hooked up to a car and drive for 3-4 weeks over bitumen, sand, dirt, rocks.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline bert56

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2011, 06:53:42 AM »
I like most here don't buy the mazagines anymore. I just got sick of seeing the same things over and over. I bought mags when I first started to modify my truck hoping for good advise on what products work the best but what I got was information only on those that spent the most on advertising and not the best product. After awhile they lose all creditibily. Has anyone actually seen Roothy towing a GIC camper or camping in one.

Bert

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2011, 07:09:44 AM »
I like most here don't buy the mazagines anymore. I just got sick of seeing the same things over and over. I bought mags when I first started to modify my truck hoping for good advise on what products work the best but what I got was information only on those that spent the most on advertising and not the best product. After awhile they lose all creditibily. Has anyone actually seen Roothy towing a GIC camper or camping in one.

Bert

Funny thing about those mags. When they first started Roothy was the villiage idiot. Now he is their better article writer. Bring back Pat, Bring back Pat. ;D
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!