Author Topic: 2nd hand fridges  (Read 5568 times)

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
2nd hand fridges
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »
I'm in he market for a fridge and will most likely buy a techni ice 45/60 ltr but also thought about 2nd hand Waeco's , not interested in an Engel as the type i want needs to be around 600-650mm in length. Is there any reason i shouldnt buy a 1-5yo waeco that is approx. half of the new cost, obviously no warranty but otherwise ?
  There are a couple of CF50DZ dual zone's on ebay that may or may not be a good buy.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
2003 Dingo Offroad Camper Trailer.
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan
1998 Triumph Daytona T595

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: 2nd hand fridges
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:05:21 PM »
You could pick up  Evakools with warranty for around the same price http://www.evakool.com/factory-seconds?gclid=CJDQ877oxsECFY6VvQodblsApg
Might be a better option as a second fridge .
No Afilliation with them, just been looking at the same idea too.
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 01:24:02 PM »
Theres also a factory seconds wako shop...

I'd be weary of buying used. theres not really anyway to know if it works well or how long it will last.. mine cost me over $500 to get repaired.. I'd had it several years but in all honesty it hadn't been used much more than 5-10 times.. Quite pist off

anyway heres some measurements of others to work on - note this was a while agl
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33171.msg526234#msg526234

« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 04:27:58 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 02:04:02 PM »
I would. But your right, you can't tell. I reckon the 50DZs are on sale is that I would also put mine up for the 80 as they work well and are handy. I think the 50 is just a bit small but I still use it along with my CF60.

One of the big issues Waeco found was the failure rate of the Thermister (Temp Sender) failing. my 50 just did that after 5 years but the 60 has been going for 11 years and literally never turned off. The Thermister cost 5 bucks and as I have had my fridges apart anyway upgrading this and that for fun it was easy to replace the old one.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 05:50:03 PM »
There is a risk but then again there are so many that have been trouble free for years , 80 is too big and 50-60 is probably about right for us. I like the idea of a freezer section without the bulk of the proper dual zone fridges.

MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 06:32:12 PM »
There is a risk but then again there are so many that have been trouble free for years , 80 is too big and 50-60 is probably about right for us. I like the idea of a freezer section without the bulk of the proper dual zone fridges.
80ltr isn't necessarily too big if it's the only fridge you own, we used an 80ltr Engel combi for years and only recently got rid of it due to our camper trailer having a 75ltr Autofridge in it.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
Not capacity but size wise.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
Ive been running my 45ltr tecniice constant for a week now (camping), paid 650 for it with  few things thrown in, only reason why I went with techniice (again) was the warranty, will not buy second hand, couldn't justify to swmbo in spreding 1100 on a fridge that will only be used 2-3 weeks a year and the odd weekend. A dual zone one would be noice though
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »

Yea the 50 is OK, you can get 3 loafs of bread in there and that makes a big difference when up the Cape as an example. Once you don't need it then remove the divider and it is a fridge.

One thing that is an absolutely a ripper is those fridges is they do NOT have an evaporator in the fridge area so you can place Lettuce or anything you like at that end and they will NOT freezer burn. A big deal when heading off for along weekend and underrated -

OH - and I must say in my opinion  ;D
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline loanrangie

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:09 AM »
Ive been running my 45ltr tecniice constant for a week now (camping), paid 650 for it with  few things thrown in, only reason why I went with techniice (again) was the warranty, will not buy second hand, couldn't justify to swmbo in spreding 1100 on a fridge that will only be used 2-3 weeks a year and the odd weekend. A dual zone one would be noice though

I went to order a techni ice last week but they are out of stock of all but the steel series fridges, if i cant get a good near new 2nd hand one then i will get a new techni ice even if i have to week another 3 weeks for stock - i too couldnt justify the new price of an Engel or Waeco.
MY08 TDV6 SE D3,
1974 Kombi microbus
1958 FC special sedan

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
"I'd be weary of buying used. theres not really anyway to know if it works well or how long it will last.. mine cost me over $500 to get repaired.. I'd had it several years but in all honesty it hadn't been used much more than 5-10 times.. Quite pist off"

Is that a problem with compressor type fridges compared to absorption fridges whereby the former won't take kindly to intermittent use? Not a problem with your household fridge but they do recommend running your home and car aircons for a short time regularly in winter to keep their seals and solenoid valves in shape.

My 2003 Dove Dometic 3 way still works fine as the day it was installed and we only fire it up for trips away. Bit like two stroke motors vs 4 strokes for intermittent use in that respect.
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

RWW

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 10:14:02 PM »
Really interested in the Techni-ice reviews, considering getting one as the price is fantastic.  Would love an Engel but at double the price, and just buying a CT, can't set up with the best.

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »
Really interested in the Techni-ice reviews, considering getting one as the price is fantastic.  Would love an Engel but at double the price, and just buying a CT, can't set up with the best.

I went with a tehniice over the cf40 because the only waeco that was close to being the same price was with a 3yr warranty and no thermo cover.Techniice was 5yrs + cover + some of those goofy ice sheet things ( which I will most likely never use)

The fridge for me has been running faultlessly, sits in back of the car in direct sunlight when setting up camp, running on my 125agm 120watt solar setup for approx 4 days straight, plugs into the standard front acc outlet, I set it on 2degrees so beer stays icee cold without freezing my alfalfa or mixed lettuce. I threw in a 2ltr coke tonight about 1hr later I would say it was an easy chilled 4degrees. It's also quiet to the point where you will find yourself opening the lid just to make it's still working

downsides would be resale value and not as sexy sounding as telling everyone about your wakoo or englez around the fire but I think thats more of a weeny peeny bloke thing to be honest  ;D

oh and the little light inside of it could be brighter or maybe 2 of them

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 06:01:04 AM »
if ya want a waeco, just wait till they have 25 or 30% off at anaconda again, seems to happen every 2 or 3 months and fridges are generally included
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 06:16:00 AM »

downsides would be resale value and not as sexy sounding as telling everyone about your wakoo or englez around the fire but I think thats more of a weeny peeny bloke thing to be honest  ;D

A couple of dirty great big Bundy Rum stickers on it and those same blokes will be jealous about your super cool genuine authentic Bundy fridge.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 08:40:30 AM »
A couple of dirty great big Bundy Rum stickers on it and those same blokes will be jealous about your super cool genuine authentic Bundy fridge.

chatting with another camper last night who ended up giving me  couple rolls of vinyl "carbon fiber look" stick on crap, very tempted then i would have a carbon fibre fridge  ;D. He purchased a "ebay special" that ended up being a p.o.s and then went with an engel that ended being put in for repairs only after having it for a month

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »
In my opinion buying a second hand fridge falls into the same category as buy a second hand car as you have the same chances of getting a dud as getting a pearler.

Like everything the discounted price over buying new can be very attractive.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 10:57:35 AM »
In my opinion buying a second hand fridge falls into the same category as buy a second hand car as you have the same chances of getting a dud as getting a pearler.

Like everything the discounted price over buying new can be very attractive.
well put.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home