Author Topic: First Aid Courses  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
First Aid Courses
« on: March 21, 2016, 09:43:49 AM »
Anyone done a refresher course recently... just looking for the best value courses around... Mine has expired, and looking to do it soon.

Seems to be numerous out there, but not sure all are 'valid'...

Is St Johns still the one everyone looks to do?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossow

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: First Aid Courses
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:43:19 AM »
I just did a refresher with https://www.australiawidefirstaid.com.au/ and they were very good.
It was a group course and there was probably 45 people doing it and they had plenty of equipment for everyone to practice on.

* no affiliation *

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:47:53 AM »
Redid my 1st aid certificate last week with PARASOL, our company have been using them for years, the trainers we have had are all paramedics ambo guys that and give a good grounding in whats needed in most  situations  .. though your a long way from our area .. could look them up and see if they do courses down your way .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 03:20:36 PM »
I do St Johns Yearly, needed for work but also a handy bit of info anywhere

GG

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »
Redid my 1st aid certificate last week with PARASOL, our company have been using them for years, the trainers we have had are all paramedics ambo guys that and give a good grounding in whats needed in most  situations  .. though your a long way from our area .. could look them up and see if they do courses down your way .

X2 for Parasol.
(But i did used to be a trainer for them here in SA)

As stated above, nearly all trainers are Paras or nurses.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline JPH

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:20 PM »
 We do a yearly refresher through SES, Healthguard is our approved provider, I think they're based out your way Bird. The current course code that most places expect you to have is HLTAID003. Well worth keeping current in as its a changing environment.

Offline Streetkid

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 09:44:35 PM »
I did a refresher with Australia wide first aid last year and it was ok for what it was, but I questioned the instructor about the lack of depth in the course and he said our was tailored to be a " urban" course based on the fact that an ambulance is within easy reach and easy contact can be made with everyone having a mobile these days. Most of the content was aimed at keeping a casualty comfortable till the ambo's arrived. He said the course would be different if it was given in a remote area where life support may need to be given for possibly hours befor help can arrive. It is something to think about when finding a course depending on what you need to get out of it especially if it is to know what to do when remote travelling.
Happy Customline owner

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
Anyone done a refresher course recently... just looking for the best value courses around... Mine has expired, and looking to do it soon.

Seems to be numerous out there, but not sure all are 'valid'...

Is St Johns still the one everyone looks to do?

Funny I should say that.... looking to do one again...
any to look for SE melbourne?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 01:29:15 PM »
Funny I should say that.... looking to do one again...
any to look for SE melbourne?
St John's have an office in Dandenong. Do all my refreshers there

GG

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 01:52:10 PM »
Echoing Streetkids comments, having a look for a wilderness first aid or remote first aid course. They're normally 4 days and more scenario based but are focused on being able to provide care for the 2hrs+ it might take to get someone into you to help, rather than the 20mins for an ambo to rock up in an urban environment.

When I did one a few years ago for work (outdoor activity guide) it included splinting and improvised traction for limbs as well as how to land a helicopter.

Also not as much "this is how you must tie a bandage" and more "what have you got that will work in this scenario?" We had a mixture of guides and remote working staff (think ecologists etc) who would be working out a few hours from help.

I am lucky though, every first aid course I have done has been biased towards that environment, as well as small group based (normally no more than 15) and with a good ratio of instructor to participants.

Online Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 10:46:46 AM »
One of my First Aid refreshers, the instructor was an ex-Army medic.

He was saying that during one of the refreshers he did while still Army, the instructor told them, "When I say go, start doing CPR & continue till I say stop - Go!"

2 hours later, he said Stop ... :o

Knowing how I've felt after 5 minutes, I can't even imagine how buggered you'd be after 2 hours! :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 10:56:06 AM »
I did my refresher earlier this year and the teacher is also a paramedic and she gave one funny but fantastic bit of advice. If you come across a stranger who looks unconscious, but at the same time you get a bad vibe on how they will react, give them a medium kick in the ribs.

If they really are unconscious then they won’t feel it, but if they flinch you know they are conscious or if they are violent, the pain of being kicked in the ribs gives you enough time to step away to safety.