Author Topic: A Question for Builders  (Read 10164 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: A Question for Builders
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 05:29:10 PM »

You could use the square and hand held saw, but that means marking where the cut is needed, then measuring back along the board to allow for the saw base.  Easier to by a drop saw, that had a wide enough cut, or if you can get away with it a sliding compound saw for even wider cuts.

if it was easier and quicker to do with a drop saw I would do it that way, it would save me time and money...but it's not, so I don't use one on fascia, or cutting things like verandah decking boards either. There is no need to mark back from the cut line, just start the saw with the square holding it slightly long away from the line, then slide the square slowly back until the blade hits the right spot to cut it. When you've done a job for 25 years you learn what works best to save time, your way will work, just takes abit longer is all. When you get up on the scaffold and find it's a touch long or the cut is out abit, have fun climbing back down and taking it to your drop saw...but if you have a square and power saw on the scaf with you, just adjust the cut and keep going.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »
Finally..  Someone read my post.

Every big job I do I buy a "necessary" tool. (Sometimes I actually use it on that job)
My wife is happy for me to do it as it does make the jobs much easier with the right gear.

You could use the square and hand held saw, but that means marking where the cut is needed, then measuring back along the board to allow for the saw base.  Easier to by a drop saw, that had a wide enough cut, or if you can get away with it a sliding compound saw for even wider cuts.

On the joints, mortise and tenon, and dovetail are mostly furniture joints

Mitre joints as described and a lot of other joints like scribed corners for cornices are made to hide shrinkage, things not being square etc.  (and are legitimate joints)
Go the bottom sketch, or easier yet, just butt joint them with a bit of flexible sealer squished in.
In ancient times and seasoned hardwood was never heard of (except on the Ark when Noah urinated over the side) the mitre joint was used. That way when you get a bit of shrinkage over the length of the timber there would be no obvious gap except when viewed from a 45 degree angle straight into the join. Now with seasoned and treated softwood, it would not be so critical.
And hell yes, as recommended by 90% of all Dentists, a drop saw will make the job look professionally done and also stop the curtains fading as a bonus.
Cheers

You pair need to reread the title and slowly back away from the thread. Someone who knows less than you pair might read this and think you have a clue....

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 07:52:54 AM »
I'm still trying to work out how you clamp a 230mm wide fascia board into a "drop saw" to cut a 45deg angle. Or do you guys actually mean a mitre saw?
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
A Question for Builders
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 11:57:25 AM »
Easier with a circ saw
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:59:57 AM by oldmate »
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 12:07:04 PM »
I'm still trying to work out how you clamp a 230mm wide fascia board into a "drop saw" to cut a 45deg angle. Or do you guys actually mean a mitre saw?
those in the trade call it a drop saw no matter the set up, nobody on a site says go cut that on the mitre saw ;)
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 01:26:35 PM »

Purely scientific.
If you hold a saw up off the floor then then let go, floating saws float, drop saws drop and I guess a mitre saw mitres.
All mine drop, so obviously are called drop saws. Never seen one mitre or float yet.
The following users thanked this post: Troopy_03, GBC

scrapsD40

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 02:41:37 PM »
Slide compound saw maybe

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
Slide compound saw maybe

Agree.
Clamp it flat. After having checked the size for what you want.
Set blade to 45Deg.  Go for it.  Get that wonderful exercise for your grip and shoulder/back, pull and release/push back.
Then pick up the wrong bit, and try to fit it.
That right Scott?
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 06:39:01 PM »
Was doing timber fascia at work today, no drop saw / sliding mitre saw used...and the pile of fascia was sitting right beside the drop saw bench also  ;)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 07:11:43 PM »
Was doing timber fascia at work today, no drop saw / sliding mitre saw used...and the pile of fascia was sitting right beside the drop saw bench also  ;)

yeah im with you mal.. i dont use the drop either
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

scrapsD40

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
yeah im with you mal.. i dont use the drop either
In my days I would have used a tenon saw

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
In my days I would have used a tenon saw

So you dovetail fascia together? Got to respect that level of OCD  :cheers:

scrapsD40

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »
Got to respect that level of OCD  :cheers:
now ya talkin with timber dowel pegs instead of screws and nails

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »
Google images always wins. Not quite a dt.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:45:14 PM by GBC »

scrapsD40

A Question for Builders
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »
Google images always wins. Not quite a dt.

Lol.... that's me on the left. Oldmate with the funny hat on the right
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 07:59:44 PM by scrapsD40 »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 08:09:29 PM »
The bloke on the left definitely has a 'radial arm'..... too much? :laugh:

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 09:47:34 PM »
Cheapy slide compound mitre saw often referred to colloquially as 'drop saw' on the building sites-
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-1600w-254mm-slide-compound-mitre-saw_p6290109
Notice it cuts 254mm wide at right angles which covers most domestic timber widths and once you've bought one you'll find lots of uses for it.
By the way you have to get to know your own saw and where to set it to get the exact angles you want as they all have their slight quirks/misalignments to the markings although less so with higher quality saws that are more precise and rigid in action (cheaper saws may flex more if you're not more careful/gentle with them)
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »
Tell yourself you're a nice bloke and you deserve it  ;D
https://www.bunnings.com.au/makita-1650w-305mm-slide-compound-mitre-saw_p6240076
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2016, 09:53:47 AM »

Purely scientific.
If you hold a saw up off the floor then then let go, floating saws float, drop saws drop and I guess a mitre saw mitres.
All mine drop, so obviously are called drop saws. Never seen one mitre or float yet.

Ah OK, so I've been misnaming all my tools. The drop drill, drop hammer, drop spanners, drop etc.. etc  LOL

Edigt: And I probably could have got off a charge of calling my SGT a drop kick, when I was a CPL, had I used that logic..  ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:57:06 AM by Troopy_03 »
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2016, 12:27:20 PM »
Ah OK, so I've been misnaming all my tools. The drop drill, drop hammer, drop spanners, drop etc.. etc  LOL

Unless you get a fixit job on the Space Station. Then all your tools would be float tools.