Author Topic: A Question for Builders  (Read 10167 times)

UIZ733

A Question for Builders
« on: November 12, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
I need to replace approximately 12m of fascia. It is a straight run with no corner joints involved. I am using 230 X 30 softwood (hoop pine?). The two methods of joining the pieces that I'm considering are; mitre or halving joints. See illustrations. The halving joint would be router formed, whereas the mitre would be 'hand cut'. Being router cut it 'should' a better quality finish. I don't have access to a radial arm saw to cut the mitre, if that is what is required.
Is there any reason FOR NOT using the halving joint?

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: A Question for Builders
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »
Bigger surface area for water to get into and rot out the timber from inside
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 03:11:06 PM »
Always joined them as per your bottom pic in my 25 years of being a chippie, never even seen it done as per first pic. Why?...because the first cut is ten times quicker and easier to do, and possibly for the reason mentioned above it never gets done that way. Don't need radial arm saw, just a small power saw with a sharp blade set at 45 degrees, and a solid square to use as a guide...job done.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline V8ute

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 03:49:26 PM »
Exactly as Rumpig said, never seen fascia joined like that, Old skool top plates were joined like that.
 Only my opinion but i would be making sure its treated (H3) and primed first.
 :cheers:
   V8ute
08 Cruiser ute, 10 Outback Eagle.
Loaded ready to roll

UIZ733

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 04:41:57 PM »
Exactly as Rumpig said, never seen fascia joined like that, Old skool top plates were joined like that.
 Only my opinion but i would be making sure its treated (H3) and primed first.
   V8ute
Thanks folks. It is treated and primed H3 Pine courtesy of Masters  ;D with 50% off.

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 06:18:02 PM »
Thanks folks. It is treated and primed H3 Pine courtesy of Masters  ;D with 50% off.

Geeeezzzz you're a talented man mate :cup: ;D ;D

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 06:21:54 AM »
You need a drop saw (not really). But tell the missus that you need one and at the end of the job you have a new toy tool  ;D
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:57 AM »

Yep and get some primer and paint all your cuts as you go. And like Mal said, just join the same as your bottom pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

UIZ733

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 08:04:41 AM »

Geeeezzzz you're a talented man mate :cup: ;D ;D

Thanks for the vote of confidence mate. ;D
Got most of the gear to prove i'm the real deal also.
The following users thanked this post: sol

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 08:42:12 AM »
Tou could always hire a dropsaw for the day. Mitre the joint. Prime all cuts. Glue together. A glue block behind also helps if the eaves are not open.

GG

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2016, 08:50:49 AM »
Zero need for a drop saw to do a job like that, it's a simple power saw cut...just use one of these in the link as a guide on the saw to keep your cut straight https://www.bunnings.com.au/square-combination-stanley-saw-guide_p5666302
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 08:53:27 AM by Rumpig »

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 01:02:47 PM »
The idea is to cut your first piece of fascia with the mitre cut facing out, and finishing across a truss tail. You can fix it into position. The next piece is cut to lay over and fix into the same truss tail through the first piece. Confirm the sheet rebate in the back lines up also. It won't be the first time if the rebates aren't machined the same.
A halving joint in a thin board would be a balls up.

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »
I need to replace approximately 12m of fascia. It is a straight run with no corner joints involved. I am using 230 X 30 softwood (hoop pine?). The two methods of joining the pieces that I'm considering are; mitre or halving joints. See illustrations. The halving joint would be router formed, whereas the mitre would be 'hand cut'. Being router cut it 'should' a better quality finish. I don't have access to a radial arm saw to cut the mitre, if that is what is required.
Is there any reason FOR NOT using the halving joint?

Just wondering how many older houses are still holding to-gether after 50 years using good seasoned timber and joints that are built for strength and not a quick method.....IE mortise and tenon ...dove tail.. ect. and the first method described.....   Just saying.

Cheers Tracker.

Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »

Just wondering how many older houses are still holding to-gether after 50 years using good seasoned timber and joints that are built for strength and not a quick method.....IE mortise and tenon ...dove tail.. ect. and the first method described.....   Just saying.

Cheers Tracker.

in 25 years as a carpenter doing numerous old house renos i have never seen a fascia done with any of those joints you listed, which is what the original question was asked about. The other joints you mention have suitable purposes for other applications, not fascia board joints....just saying
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:16:36 PM by Rumpig »

Offline tracker

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If you can throw a ball...Be able to catch one !!!
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2016, 02:47:04 PM »
in 25 years as a carpenter doing numerous old house renos i have never seen a fascia done with any of those joints you listed, which is what the original question was asked about. The other joints you mention have suitable purposes for other applications, not fascia board joints....just saying

Sry. mate ...was not for one minute was sugesting these joints would be used in this application.....i'm just saying that the different joints that were used in the past have gone by the way side......the check out joint could be used instead of the mitre..and i would say ...it's probably stronger.......the old timber joints are gone....but ..thats progress.... ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:54:42 PM by tracker »
Toyota Prado....- ( Fantasy F3SL Hybrid  Van)

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 06:31:56 PM »

Water penetration, lack of sealing joints.
See if everyday.
 >:D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 06:58:17 PM »
Just something else to be aware of, depending how old the house is, the fascia boards you get now may be slightly different size. When I replaced some, on one of our rental properties, the only board available was about 3mm thinner. Because of this I had to pack behind the new board where it joined the original board, to bring the outside surfaces flush. Yes, I could have replaced the whole lot, but at the time it seemed the best way to go.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »
Yep,
The matching of new to old material is a great game  ;D
Even better, trying to match 40 year old tiles that tenants have broken, yeah good luck with that.
 ;D
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 07:28:44 PM »
What the others said but treat the cut ends with a liberal dose of neat glycol (coolant) to prevent fungal decay in future. Either that or proprietary gear like Protim solignum XJ
 http://www.kopperspc.com.au/pdf/Timber%20Care%20FAQ.pdf
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »
On behalf of those of us here that aren't tradesmen, if someone comes up with a reasonable excuse that the missus will believe eg "you might need a dropsaw for that job" then we're going to run with that....

Try to be supportive, use phrases like "yeah a drop saw is good, but you might also need a triton workbench to mount it on", or constructive suggestions like "don't buy brand x, they are crap..." even "you might have difficult using a drop saw to do a mitre join, perhaps buy a router as well".

Just saying....

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 08:07:26 PM »
What the others said but treat the cut ends with a liberal dose of neat glycol (coolant) to prevent fungal decay in future. Either that or proprietary gear like Protim solignum XJ
 http://www.kopperspc.com.au/pdf/Timber%20Care%20FAQ.pdf

Thanks,
I have a few facia boards that will need replacing sooner than i thought.
Gutters over flowed this weekend after a heavy downpoor, cleaned out the gutter, but saw that the facias are starting to rot.

Will read up on this stuff a bit, and how to joint the boards.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 09:00:10 PM by ATC »

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 08:46:42 PM »

On behalf of those of us here that aren't tradesmen, if someone comes up with a reasonable excuse that the missus will believe eg "you might need a dropsaw for that job" then we're going to run with that....

Try to be supportive, use phrases like "yeah a drop saw is good, but you might also need a triton workbench to mount it on", or constructive suggestions like "don't buy brand x, they are crap..." even "you might have difficult using a drop saw to do a mitre join, perhaps buy a router as well".

Just saying....

As I qualified Carpenter, I can confirm that the correct way to install fascia boards us as follows.

Walk into a store like Total Tools and purchase one of everything you think you need, looks like it could be handy or is just plain cool. The more powerful and sharper teeth, the better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »

As I qualified Carpenter, I can confirm that the correct way to install fascia boards us as follows.

Walk into a store like Total Tools and purchase one of everything you think you need, looks like it could be handy or is just plain cool. The more powerful and sharper teeth, the better.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Done, but I'll still re-read the thread and make sure that i understand what specific tools with lots of sharp teeth, or new tool, is required to take them off, prepare, prime, and replace....

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 10:30:33 AM »
Go the bottom sketch, or easier yet, just butt joint them with a bit of flexible sealer squished in.
In ancient times and seasoned hardwood was never heard of (except on the Ark when Noah urinated over the side) the mitre joint was used. That way when you get a bit of shrinkage over the length of the timber there would be no obvious gap except when viewed from a 45 degree angle straight into the join. Now with seasoned and treated softwood, it would not be so critical.
And hell yes, as recommended by 90% of all Dentists, a drop saw will make the job look professionally done and also stop the curtains fading as a bonus.
Cheers

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

Just saying....

Finally..  Someone read my post.

Every big job I do I buy a "necessary" tool. (Sometimes I actually use it on that job)
My wife is happy for me to do it as it does make the jobs much easier with the right gear.

You could use the square and hand held saw, but that means marking where the cut is needed, then measuring back along the board to allow for the saw base.  Easier to by a drop saw, that had a wide enough cut, or if you can get away with it a sliding compound saw for even wider cuts.

On the joints, mortise and tenon, and dovetail are mostly furniture joints

Mitre joints as described and a lot of other joints like scribed corners for cornices are made to hide shrinkage, things not being square etc.  (and are legitimate joints)
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux.