Author Topic: Work benches in sheds or paying workshops/businesses  (Read 7858 times)

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
Work benches in sheds or paying workshops/businesses
« on: August 04, 2016, 12:03:07 AM »
Hey all,
Trying to work out a good height and width for a workbench. Also I use to be a Boilermaker so will be made out of steel
Planning on having it up against the wall/corner, out of 50*50 she with either 6 or 10mm plate for top (yep heavy).

Will be making a system like a towball hitch but with double receiver to be able to have a removable vice and have interchangeable "modules" for things like bench grinders etc to keep a clear workbench.

Currently have built my test bench as 930mm high and will be 800mm deep.

Thanks all

Test bench is 2000mm long. Will be keeping it as this to allow for access to roller door not being fouled
Need to get the backside into gear and get out camping

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Work benches in sheds or paying workshops/businesses
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 06:29:38 AM »
I suggest you put it on a good set of castors because at some point you will want to move it.
I also made identical plywood plates for my grinder. Vise, drill press etc and attached them to the tools.
I then drilled  4 holes in the plates and work bench.
They attach to the bench with bolts and wing nuts when I need to use them, the rest of the time the bench is empty.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 06:39:32 AM »
IMHO you need 2 benches at different heights, I have a high bench and a low bench. Depending on what I am working on I use either bench.

BTW looks like a nice garage you're building, we need more pics :)
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Online paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 06:50:04 AM »
bill's idea about the removable plates for different tools is a good one, IMO...

also, where did you get those orange and blue cases on little shelves in your pics?  they look very useful...

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 07:06:21 AM »
IMO steel benches are terrible , they resonate and bounce. Great for a strip down bench but you can't beat timber. A gal sheet top works well on them. The other thing I keep wanting to do is mount my vice to an isolated stand. Not attached to the bench.
I'd guess 900-920  be a good height
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
I Dyna Bolted in a free standing post 100mm Dia with a 65mm SHS top finishing at 950mm high allowing 50mm SHS to be inserted down the centre. I have 4 interchangeable heads, a RHS Bender, FMS bender, scroll bender and a  6inch vise, the Vise is the only one which feels High  I am 5ft 7 high. My old boss was  6ft 6+ and the rest of the employees stood on low platforms to use the equipment he had installed.  Elbow height to the top of the vise is a good height
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
IMO steel benches are terrible , they resonate and bounce. Great for a strip down bench but you can't beat timber. A gal sheet top works well on them. The other thing I keep wanting to do is mount my vice to an isolated stand. Not attached to the bench.

X2 I have a 1200 x 800 heavy steel topped 'welding' bench on casters but for regular everyday stuff my big bench is steel framed topped with particle floorboard then laminated with a 24 gauge zinc steel sheet as a skin. Much better than the all steel bench. Just try not to spill battery acid on it  >:(

But here's my real tip - when you build your bench make the front section of bench top frame and top cantilever out 300 or so mm from the main structure. You will know why you should have listened the first time you smash your shin against that lower beam.

HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline paulo

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 10:56:49 AM »
I suggest you put it on a good set of castors because at some point you will want to move it.
I also made identical plywood plates for my grinder. Vise, drill press etc and attached them to the tools.
They attach to the bench with bolts and wing nuts when I need to use them, the rest of the time the bench is empty.
Bill
X2 on the modular set up, but I installed Tee nuts on the underside of the bench so I can bolt straight into these without needing wing nuts. Overhang as suggested not only saves your shins, but also can help when something needs to be clamped to the bench.

My general benches are about 950mm I think, but I'm tall. I also remember reading about the "Elbow Height Rule" somewhere, but pretty much what you think will be a comfortable height for yourself.

Try not to over-think it, and if it ends up going to pot, you can always cut a bit off or add a bit if needed.

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:50:02 PM »
Bill

Bill
Will have a dolly set up to move around shed also have a number of other pieces of equipment to move around to use shed effectively

IMHO you need 2 benches at different heights, I have a high bench and a low bench. Depending on what I am working on I use either bench.

BTW looks like a nice garage you're building, we need more pics :)

D4D
Only want one bench if I want it higher will have a stool to sit on
Also it's just a 6*7m shed constructed to have gyprock and insulation direct on the framing, wired for surround sound, 3m motorized project screen with various lighting setups. Built for me and the kids when they want to have friends over. :angel:

also, where did you get those orange and blue cases on little shelves in your pics?  they look very useful...

Paceman
Cases are called Rolacase. Not cheap about $60 for small cannot remember what the large is and the frames start at over the $200 mark. They are the ducks guts IMO

Achjimmy
Steel benches only resonate if not built correctly, I was a boilermaker so benchtop will be at least 6mm plate more likely 10-12mm with a lot of ribs underneath, I have built/worked on a few like this successfully
I Dyna Bolted in a free standing post 100mm Dia with a 65mm SHS top finishing at 950mm high allowing 50mm SHS to be inserted down the centre. I have 4 interchangeable heads, a RHS Bender, FMS bender, scroll bender and a  6inch vise, the Vise is the only one which feels High  I am 5ft 7 high. My old boss was  6ft 6+ and the rest of the employees stood on low platforms to use the equipment he had installed.  Elbow height to the top of the vise is a good height
Bobsan
Good idea but want vice to move with the bench, hence having a double tow hitch receiver to change equipment

X2 I have a 1200 x 800 heavy steel topped 'welding' bench on casters but for regular everyday stuff my big bench is steel framed topped with particle floorboard then laminated with a 24 gauge zinc steel sheet as a skin. Much better than the all steel bench. Just try not to spill battery acid on it  >:(

But here's my real tip - when you build your bench make the front section of bench top frame and top cantilever out 300 or so mm from the main structure. You will know why you should have listened the first time you smash your shin against that lower beam.

Joff
Sticking with steel bench but will have a plywood "lid" to make it slightly larger when required

Yep edges will be overhanging the frame about 100mm this bench was made out of a old frames so they came this size actual size is only 600mm widen the photo

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 01:01:01 PM »
how tall are you? that would make a difference to the working height.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Joff

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 01:08:54 PM »

Joff
Sticking with steel bench but will have a plywood "lid" to make it slightly larger when required

Yep edges will be overhanging the frame about 100mm this bench was made out of a old frames so they came this size actual size is only 600mm widen the photo

Just to clarify, I'm only advocating a timber top. The rest of my bench structure is 40x40mm  and 40x20 RHS

Offline cheif carlos

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »
how tall are you? that would make a difference to the working height.

5' 10" in the old measurements

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
Spotted something different on another forum where the chap had a small bench on castors but the top was pivoted in the centre, he had a grinder mounted on the bench top and on the other side (underneath) another piece of equipment which allowed two useages from the bench by turning it over and locking it back in position
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 06:24:55 PM »
Not a fan of steel tops. Spills wipe up nicely, but stuff can slide around too easily.
I currently have 2 benches, both timber tops, and at different heights.
For oily/messy jobs, I lay an old blanket or sleeping bag on the bench.

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Joff

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 06:28:51 PM »
Not a fan of steel tops. Spills wipe up nicely, but stuff can slide around too easily.
I currently have 2 benches, both timber tops, and at different heights.
For oily/messy jobs, I lay an old blanket or sleeping bag on the bench.

Or you could put a thin rubber matt over the bit of bench your slidy stuff is on. No stinky blanket or sleeping bag then   :D

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
And the best thing about steel bench tops, if you're building something out of steel, you can tack it in place on the bench top. Then when you're done, you crack it off, quick dress up of the bench top with a flapper wheel, ready for next job..
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 06:36:14 PM »
Or you could put a thin rubber matt over the bit of bench your slidy stuff is on. No stinky blanket or sleeping bag then   :D

Could do, but I don't have any rubber mat laying around, and it puts the old blanket or sleeping bag to good use until they get tossed out.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 06:37:14 PM »
And the best thing about steel bench tops, if you're building something out of steel, you can tack it in place on the bench top. Then when you're done, you crack it off, quick dress up of the bench top with a flapper wheel, ready for next job..

Not really keen on tacking something like a gearbox to the bench.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »
Not really keen on tacking something like a gearbox to the bench.....
Haha, reread what I wrote... if you're building something out of steel. Unless you are welding the gearbox???? Hope it isn't one of those old VW ones, that would be speccy to watch.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »
Haha, reread what I wrote... if you're building something out of steel. Unless you are welding the gearbox???? Hope it isn't one of those old VW ones, that would be speccy to watch.

I read it just fine the first time.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »

Achjimmy
Steel benches only resonate if not built correctly, I was a boilermaker so benchtop will be at least 6mm plate more likely 10-12mm with a lot of ribs underneath, I have built/worked on a few like this successfullyBobsan

Sorry mate gotta disagree I was a fitter done heavy and light fabrication and a bit of forging /blacksmithing. No steel or cast table or bench feels as good as timber to swing  a hammer at. Best legs are old hardwood the older the better. Can't get a better base for a anvil than a big dead trunk !

At my dear old dads is an old hardwood bench (60yrs old) bolted to a steel frame shed. It's a fantastic bench.

Jim

Offline V8CRSA

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Just waiting to hit the open road again......
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 07:46:53 PM »
I've used pallet racking for a work bench in my shed with a 20mm formply bench top.
I have a shelf underneath and another overhead.
When bolted down its a very strong and solid bench.
2013 GXL TTD 200 SERIES CRUISER
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic
Not quite "ATS" but working on it

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »
I read it just fine the first time.
OK, well substitute the word building for fabricating.. how does that sound?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:31:59 PM by Troopy_03 »

Offline GeoffA

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 08:41:38 PM »
Anyone for a half steel, half timber bench top??.....or 2 benches, one of each??..... ;D ;D

Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 08:19:45 AM »
My dream welding/fabricating table is a demmler.

Jim