Author Topic: Aldi gear on Sale  (Read 10833 times)

Offline duncandonuts

• Learning the Ropes
Aldi gear on Sale
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:52:56 PM »
Hi all, just a heads up that Aldi have lots of stuff on sale on the 22nd August 2015. Inverters, compressors, car awnings, high lift jacks, roof tray, recovery gear etc.
My Refurbed Jayco Dove

Offline Jimmy01

• Learning the Ropes
Re: Aldi gear on Sale
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:31:37 AM »
Cheers mate, you got a link to a catalogue or something?

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 08:18:11 AM »
What's their gear like?
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline duncandonuts

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »

Cheers mate, you got a link to a catalogue or something?

Catalogue is not online yet. Only in the store catalogues at the moment.
My Refurbed Jayco Dove

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:05:39 PM »
What's their gear like?

You will get what you pay for, and their gear is priced accordingly.
Pretty well just another batch of cheap, imported gear same as what is available on eBay everyday of the week.
I suppose it all depends on where you go, how it will be used and how often it gets used. If it's for bling factor then yeah it's good value.
No I don't have any, and I personally wouldn't buy the critical gear from there, straps, shackles, winch, compressor... but their simple stuff is probably on par with the rest of the junk on the market.
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

champin

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 05:17:17 PM »
Was looking ar winches a while ago. Never saw a bad comment about the aldi ones. Brother has had one of their tellies for about 5 yrs without a problem. I personally wouldn't discount their quality.

Offline Stewart

• Tent User
    • Camping with a Cocktail
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 05:24:20 PM »
We have their awning on our Prado, with the only problem being fixing it to the Aldi roof rack we bought at the same time, otherwise great for what we wanted.
Prado 150 and Cub Supamatic Escape
https://www.campingwithacocktail.com/

Offline Watty2975

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 05:56:39 PM »
Have the compressor and many other of their special buys.
Never been disappointed with the quality. Gear has always been beyond expectation.
Landcruiser 200 TTD GXL with a few goodies & campomatic camper

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 06:01:43 PM »
You will get what you pay for, and their gear is priced accordingly.
Pretty well just another batch of cheap, imported gear same as what is available on eBay everyday of the week.
I suppose it all depends on where you go, how it will be used and how often it gets used. If it's for bling factor then yeah it's good value.
No I don't have any, and I personally wouldn't buy the critical gear from there, straps, shackles, winch, compressor... but their simple stuff is probably on par with the rest of the junk on the market.

Interesting comment from someone who professes not to have any.............

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:29:18 PM »
Alll I am saying is that Aldi gear is built to a price..... Everyone knows that and it probably is adequate for a lot of users.
It is gear that comes from China, and we all know  too well the debate of China produced products. Some are good, some are rubbish, and the cheap stuff, well you can make up your own mind about it's quality and robustness.
However, I have had more than one experience of saving a bit of coin by buying cheap and  relatively unknown quality goods which go great for a year or two then goto use it and she's cactus. This is no good for me as I like to travel to remote places where  you may or may not come across other people and there is little to no phone reception and I NEED proven reliable gear. That's is why I am prepared to pay more for proven quality equipment.
As I have said before, the quality probably is adequate for many users. Depends on your situation and usage.
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

champin

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:13 PM »
I agree Jakster but, and here's the but, it all depends on the budget and the need. For some peoples budget, and I am of this catergory, it fits the bill. For some, the need for such an item isn't great, but neccessary as an 'out' if you find yourself in a situation. I have been on the tools for most of my working life. I still dont find the need for the most expensive tools to do my job. It all depends on the regularity of use as to what quality I can afford to spend. It's a kind of balancing act.
 Just my opinion and opinions are like R soles. Everyone has one, and they all stink.

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:53:09 PM »
On the money champin😀
Let me put it like this.
Buy a Great Wall, don't expect a landcruiser.....
(No I don't drive a landcruiser)
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »
I'd still prefer returning or doing a warranty claim with my cheapo purchase to an Aldi store, before dealing with the likes of some of the others like 4wd soopa store. lol

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 07:12:21 PM »
All gear is built to a price, without exception. What I am saying is that is the comment was rather broad brushed. I have researched some Aldi gear, and yes some of it I wouldn't buy, but some of it is good quality gear made by leading manufacturers under licence to Aldi's branding.

I have also met and done business with some of the higher up people in Aldi, CFO, Head of Real Estate etc etc, and they are very demanding of their suppliers.

I think I would rather buy a winch from Aldi than some no name ebay seller.........true it may not work if I need to go and use it, but at least I would have a reasonable chance at getting my money back.

I am also no great believer in the quality of ARB or TJM after listening to some of the sales diatribe from their operations guys. Lets face it, look at the comparative prices for ARB in Australia as opposed to the US............do you really think you're buying a top quality winch when its half the price from the US and it still needs to go and get rebuilt by Mal Leslie to make it reasonably waterproof.

:cheers:

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 08:48:50 PM »
Well I have had the aldi awning on the navara for a year now, and not a single issue.
I had an aldi winch for 3years and it did eventually die.
I never serviced it, never cleaned it and worked flawlessly until I accidentally shorted out the solenoid. 
Would I buy one again.... Don't know, would I buy an awning again? Yes definitely. Just be aware if you want an awning be in line half an hour before the store opens.

Cheers
Nick
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
     Just be aware if you want an awning, be in line half an hour before the store opens.
That will get you a spot about half way across the carpark usualy at our local store, If you ever  managed to get close to the door, its like a Boxing day sales stampede .. ;D
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »
Part of the reason it is cheap is they are short term sales.  Quick outlay and quick turnover.  The product isn't sitting on the shelf for months

I've bought some Aldi stuff that was great and some absolute rubbish.  I have a cheap Aldi ski helmet I won't be using again.  Not because it is rubbish, but because it worked.  Saved my life this weekend when I fell over a steep embankment and slid headfirst for a few metres before coming to a stop when the helmet wedged under a fallen tree trunk.

The awning looks like it would suit my needs, but not sure if standing around waiting is worth the effort.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 06:49:03 PM »

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »
As to quality of the gear I've found some of it to be excellent, the torches for example have been great. Any item that I've been unhappy with has been refunded no questions asked.

Offline whitey

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
I will buy an awning off them if any left by the time I can get to them, I have a Tigerz 11 brand and when it rains the inside of it is always saturated and had been missed on the odd occasion to unroll and dry it out, hence it has mould stains like a pro hart painting...another cheaper china one I have is as dry as the Simpson in drought.... and I also I tell my boys you get what you pay for normally but not in this or a lot of cases I have found.

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:33 PM »

Catalogue is not online yet. Only in the store catalogues at the moment.
Theres an ap for that
Aldi stuff ive found is pretty good on the whole and as they are close and cheap thier my first port of call for the basics.
As evwryone does i buy spontainious crap all the time.
If you have an eye for quality then youll do alright at aldi,if you dont youll buy Shit that breaks everywhere
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:22:31 PM by dales133 »

Offline cruiserv8

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
Just on the winches,

When I was looking at winches I got quoted about $3500 and then the install cost on top for the Warn Zeon 12,000lb on my 100 series. The aldi winch is $399 (no install)

You could buy 1 aldi winch every two years- of course it doesnt account for the installation each time though.

theres a thread on 4x4earth.com.au that looks into the warrantees of various winches etc. there was some surprising comments there

I bought the 12000lb Ironman in the end

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »

theres a thread on 4x4earth.com.au that looks into the warrantees of various winches etc. there was some surprising comments there

very interesting reading... http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/winch-warrantys-who-to-support-and-when-to-walk.25959/

Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=58855.msg1064705#msg1064705
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.

Offline duncandonuts

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »
Went in to buy some rechargeable torches for the kids and they had some van covers available. Guess must be leftovers from Feb. Dont care, grabved one.
My Refurbed Jayco Dove