Author Topic: A question for the lady campers...  (Read 6354 times)

Offline MrsWilson79

• Learning the Ropes
A question for the lady campers...
« on: December 18, 2014, 09:09:50 PM »
First a little information about myself. I'm a camper who likes to wash their hair every night, who has a simple beauty routine (or a complicated beauty routine, as my husband calls it) and I'm looking for tips and tricks from other like minded campers about what they do and use while living out of a camping trailer. On a trip recently (trying to save water and time) I used dry shampoo for the first time and really liked it. My hair gets quite oily after a day or so. I don't think I would use it if I was at home, and near hot water, but it seemed to work quite well and I would use it again on other adventures.

We have a trip coming up next year, three weeks travelling up to the Cape and I wouldn't expect to be able to have a hot shower every night, even with our gas hot water system. So I'm interesting in hearing about what the different products or things you do while living away from running water.

Thanks
MrsWilson79
Check out our family adventures www.thewilsonfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: A question for the lady campers...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »
With very little prompting I've installed a dirty big 2500watt inverter so the boss can blow dry her hair.

We tried the smaller (12v marine) hair dryers, but when I suggested to her that it was possible to use the creature comforts whilst out on the track.

Not for everyone.
Needs 2 big batteries, inverter & serious cabling.

Makes a great picture, middle of no where, hair dryer, extension cord...

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:27:55 PM »
Install a diesel fuelled heater.  :cup: It will heat your camper when it's cold,  :cup: It will dry your clothes when it's wet and cold outside  :cup: AND you can DRY your HAIR with it  :cup: You may be on your hands and knees to dry your hair, but isn't that the correct position for women to be in  :angel:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

scarpsD40

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:45:15 AM »

Install a diesel fuelled heater.  :cup: It will heat your camper when it's cold,  :cup: It will dry your clothes when it's wet and cold outside  :cup: AND you can DRY your HAIR with it  :cup: You may be on your hands and knees to dry your hair, but isn't that the correct position for women to be in  :angel:
you're gonna be in trouble for that comment

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 05:13:43 AM »
There's plenty of water up the Cape.. tell hubby to take extra gas... a 1000w inverter will run most hair dryers.

Have fun at the Cape.

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 05:29:22 AM »
Gonna get the popcorn ready for this one  ;D
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 05:44:23 AM »
l not that brave as l have been in trouble before . lm off to hide under the CT        :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Nomad

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 06:29:30 AM »

Just posting hear so that I can watch the mauling to come..........SJ can I have some of your popcorn please.
 ;D

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 06:58:06 AM »
On behalf of my Mrs... :angel:

My loverly husband warms up water for my shower without fail every day. He heats it up in a big 20 lt drum so i have plenty of water.  He has made a great shower system for me out of a boat bilge pump. I don't take a hair dryer, it's a sacrifice I can make when camping.

There has always been plenty of water for our trips up to the Cape. Unfortunately the water hasn't always been fresh water but sea water. Muz showed me that Johnsons baby shampoo will lather up well in salt water whereas others don't. As baby shampoo lathers quite well in salt water we buy a cheaper brand (homebrand) of baby shampoo and its make a great soap as well.

One thing, I use conditioner on my hair most days and that makes a big difference.

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 07:18:30 AM »
On behalf of my Mrs... :angel:

My loverly husband warms up water for my shower without fail every day. He heats it up in a big 20 lt drum so i have plenty of water.  He has made a great shower system for me out of a boat bilge pump. I don't take a hair dryer, it's a sacrifice I can make when camping.

There has always been plenty of water for our trips up to the Cape. Unfortunately the water hasn't always been fresh water but sea water. Muz showed me that Johnsons baby shampoo will lather up well in salt water whereas others don't. As baby shampoo lathers quite well in salt water we buy a cheaper brand (homebrand) of baby shampoo and its make a great soap as well.

One thing, I use conditioner on my hair most days and that makes a big difference.

Who writes your copy for you  ;D ;D ;D

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 07:31:16 AM »

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 08:08:26 AM »

Steady Xcavator, you are going to cost me a bucket load of cash, with all that talk of diesel heaters and all..but then again when I get to the end of your comment it all starts to make sense ;D
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline slave

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 04:58:43 PM »
First a little information about myself. I'm a camper who likes to wash their hair every night, who has a simple beauty routine (or a complicated beauty routine, as my husband calls it) and I'm looking for tips and tricks from other like minded campers about what they do and use while living out of a camping trailer. On a trip recently (trying to save water and time) I used dry shampoo for the first time and really liked it. My hair gets quite oily after a day or so. I don't think I would use it if I was at home, and near hot water, but it seemed to work quite well and I would use it again on other adventures.

We have a trip coming up next year, three weeks travelling up to the Cape and I wouldn't expect to be able to have a hot shower every night, even with our gas hot water system. So I'm interesting in hearing about what the different products or things you do while living away from running water.

Thanks
MrsWilson79

I like to was my hair every day but have learnt that I can do it with cold water. I have found that 2 in 1 shampoo is great where water is in short supply.
As for the hair drier,  I dont have one so that is one less thing to pack.

2003 Holden Ute
1996 Cub Camper

Offline lilstookie

• Traveling Lab Rats
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://facebook.com/thewanderingjocks
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
We live on the road in our camper. I have trained my long, thick hair to last up to three weeks between washes, depending on conditions. We actually don't need to wash ourselves as often as we do. No I'm not a hippy, no I'm not a vegan/animal activist/whatever. I actually didn't like the dry shampoo which was when I started stretching my hair an extra day between washes until it was happy with a couple/few weeks between. I come from a family of beauty therapists and still keep up with my face and décolletage routine easily.

Lil :)
If the spelling and grammar are good, it's a post from Lil. If not, the mad Scot is on the keyboard ;)

Add us on facebook and keep up to date with our big lap .
www.facebook.com/TheWanderingJocks or follow our blog

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
Hooray, finally some comments from the ladies, not the girls who replied first!  8)
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »
I'd suggest looking into "no poo" (no shampoo). It's pretty much replacing shampoo with baking soda and conditioner is apple cider vinegar. Theory is you end up washing with that mix every 2 weeks or so and in between just wash with water.  I did it for a few months found it didn't suit me but know people who've been doing it for years and love it.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
I only use shampoo my hair hates conditioner if we are going for more than a couple of days then the shower tent gets set up we have the double one so dry clothes and towel in one side and shower in the other.  We just heat water in the billy and use the 12v shower (I like the look of the ironman one which doesn't require you to have power supply near by) If I am not having a shower then I try to use a warm facewasher before bed and to give my feet a wash in a bucket.  I have used the dry shampoo too sometimes it makes my hair go very static but will use it if I need to.  Have to admit that most of the time camping for me I just throw a hat on.  I don't have a skin care routine at home and for camping I usually just take some cleansing wipes and if it is hot weather some moisturiser and do that just before bed to clean my face.  This is usually a one or the other with the facewasher.  In all honesty I am not sure if I am the one to ask as I could live without my hairdryer forever if I had to only use it to make my hair sit where it should for work.

Offline MrsWilson79

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 08:59:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I don't use a hairdryer much myself so that would be one less thing to pack but enjoyed reading the other genuine tips and tricks people use. I think cleansing wipes, face cloths and a hat, might become my biggest friend while travelling with our camper!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:16:50 PM by MrsWilson79 »
Check out our family adventures www.thewilsonfamilyadventures.wordpress.com

Offline xcvator

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:25 PM »
Nah  :D  I think it's gone through to the keeper  :cup: :cup: :cheers: :cheers:

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
My hair is quite long and really thick, which does become challenging when camping. At home, I wash my hair at least every second day.

When camping we are usually near the coast, so if it is warm enough, I will swim and wash my hair in sea water using Peter G's Night & Day Shampoo (it lathers really well in salt water but smells a little chemically). Then I generously apply a cheap supermarket conditioner and give my hair a good coat with this as the N&D shampoo can be a bit drying + salt water.  We also use the Night & Day Liquid Soap to wash in seawater. Then just a really fast freshwater rinse from limited water supplies we have on board.

In winter when the ocean is too cold to swim, I TRY to go 3-4 days between washing my hair, but at least I wash my face and fringe (with shampoo) daily so it feels clean and fresh. On the second and third day, I usually just tie my hair up in a pony-tail or bun and live with it as is. After all, it's camping and a cap/hat can hide it. The dry shampoo doesnt work for my hair as it is too thick and I find it just makes my hair feel caked and horrible.

That routine seems to work for me, and husband has less hair every year ... so needs less water for washing his hair and that means more water for me  ;)

If we have plenty of water or know we dont need to ration supplies then I stick with washing my hair every second day.  Hair dryer stays home, as in summer I am always wearing a hat and in winter a beanie. 

I have always said that eventually when we take off for our indefinite lap of honour around Oz, I will cut all my hair off so that it is easier to manage and less water needed.

Offline Jen, Sprogs n Him

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 09:37:29 PM »
I have just discovered dry shampoo -  miracle in a can!
I plan on using that when we go to GRR next year.
Disposable facial cleansing wipes are always on my list too.
Maybe you could start "training" your hair to last a bit longer between washes.
The theory is the more you wash it,  the more natural oils you take out of your hair,  so your head produces more oil. Which then obviously means it gets oilier quicker...
Jen

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 09:41:07 PM »
Nah  :D  I think it's gone through to the keeper  :cup: :cup: :cheers: :cheers:

It didn't go through mate
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser