Author Topic: A******S on the Oodnadatta Track  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Shelbyright

• Swag User
A******S on the Oodnadatta Track
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
Driving south from William Creek and 2 A******s comming in the opposite direction were doing 90+ didnt even slow down. I was down to 40Kmh. and for my efforts I got 3 cracks in the windscreen,  shattered my rear cargo window, and rocks spayed all over the car.

Just stupid redneck bastards. And I wished they had rolled.
You are born, you will die.
What are you doing in the meantime?

Landcruiser HDJ100, Complete Campsite Kakadu

Offline robsjack

• Tent User
Re: A******S on the Oodnadatta Track
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:43 PM »
there are idiots out there  >:(

Offline Bad Scott

• You dump, Scott and I pump
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • AKA "Bad Scott"
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
Had that before. The worst is when you slow down and the person behind you decides to overtake
Ultimate LC79 Combo

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
Were they locals or travellers.

Offline Shelbyright

• Swag User
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
Were they locals or travellers.
looked like locals in a hurry to get to William Creek hotel.
You are born, you will die.
What are you doing in the meantime?

Landcruiser HDJ100, Complete Campsite Kakadu

Offline Diesel Power

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »
Yeah it's usually the locals. It's a bit like when going up to the Cape when you get the locals coming down from Weipa to Laura, they sit on 100+ kph.
Regards
Angus
Work - dedicated or medicated?

1999 HZJ105 GXL Auto Fully kitted. SOLD.
2008 VDJ200 GXL Auto.
2007 Custom built soft floor. SOLD.
2015 Kimberley Karavan Classic. SOLD.
2012 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition.

Offline berlitza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 01:30:20 PM »
sadly they would have been laughing there asses off knowing full well what they were doing,grrrrrrrrrr
All my life, I thought air was free...until I bought a bag of chips

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The plumage doesn't enter into it.....!
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 11:29:50 AM »
little comfort to you but this is becoming more and more common where ever you go.

Our last trip along the Gibb River Road was spoilt somewhat by the idiotic driving of many individuals.  One particular a-hole drove past us at over 100kph while I was under our car changing a tyre.  Showered me in stones and dirt.  My missus gave him what for on the CB not that that did any good.  Made her feel better though.

The next guy that came along actually stopped to give me a hand.  Puts your faith back in human nature...

Visit our blog at WWW.RVeeThereYet.com

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
I agree with Darcy7 in that it is more the trend these days and not the exception.

We did the Gibb River Road and the Tanami Track this year and only about half the oncoming vehicles slowed down at all. It used to be the 'right' of the Britz camper crowds to pass with a wall of stones to follow, but now it happens a lot. We just about stop to lessen the impact of the rocks, but stones flicked up by a fast travelling vehicle still hit with a lot of force.

And yes, we did get our windscreen smashed.

Offline slave

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »
I agree with Darcy7 in that it is more the trend these days and not the exception.

We did the Gibb River Road and the Tanami Track this year and only about half the oncoming vehicles slowed down at all. It used to be the 'right' of the Britz camper crowds to pass with a wall of stones to follow, but now it happens a lot. We just about stop to lessen the impact of the rocks, but stones flicked up by a fast travelling vehicle still hit with a lot of force.

And yes, we did get our windscreen smashed.

We did the Tanami and Gibb this year and found that very few drivers others to slow down for others whether those others are doing repairs or simply travelling on the same road.

After stopping for every car we saw on the side of the road I was disappointed in the number that even slowed down when we were stopped (and many that the the couple that supplied us with their used spring on the Mitchell Falls track)

Also it was interesting watching the car on the GRR who was coming around the corner sideways after he realised that he had to get back to his side of the road because we were coming around that same corner but on our (correct) side of the road.

It's got me beat how there aren't more accident on the GRR
2003 Holden Ute
1996 Cub Camper

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
yep, definitely a trend now unfortunately...........

Clowns who have to tick the boxes on their bucket lists the fastest they can.
Not saying it's anyone on here however, the majority are towing either a camper or van...........

I usually give them a mouthful over the UHF. Makes me feel better. ;D
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
We actually did come across a crash on that same trip on the GRR.  We were stopped and a couple in a Landcruiser with a camper trailer went by at well over 100kph.  Stones and dust flying everywhere.  We left shortly after, my wife commenting that we will likely see them rolled off the road.  Anyway....a bit further on we came across a river crossing.  On the side was the cruiser, all smashed up, the camper on the other side about 30m away upsidedown. On the other side of the crossing was a near new Landcruiser with a brand new Trackmaster caravan.  They were doing the crossing carefully and the other guy was travelling so fast he couldn't stop in time and ran fair up the back.  There were a few injuries but everyone was OK.  We offered assistance but none was needed as help was on the way. I believe all vehicles and trailers were written off.

I never got pics of the guy that caused the stack but you can see from the pics of the other guy how hard the crash was.  Those Trackmasters are built pretty tough and the body was almost completely separated from its chassis. The Cruiser was drivable but crabbed sideways and I believe the chassis was cracked.  They managed to get to Happy Valley where the tow hitch collapsed in the entrance driveway....!

The guys with the Trackmaster were well prepared with plenty of spares and a Sat phone.  The other guy had nothing but beer....!

Be careful out there....

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »
my wife commenting that we will likely see them rolled off the road

Pity he took out an innocent party as well. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt

Cheers
John
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 12:14:32 PM »
I know it never helps the situation but if that happened to me my wife would have to sit on me so i did not snot the driver after i asked if they were OK and got the affirmative
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
I'm with you on that Chester.

I can just imagine my statement to the boys in blue - "Geez, Officer - don't know how those injuries occurred, he was untouched when he stepped out of his wrecked car and laughed at the damage he did to mine. I REALLY don't know why he looks like he's been hit by a Mack!"
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 06:47:39 PM »
Better make sure I've got windscreen cover before October I think

Sent from your iPad using Mental telepathy

Offline slave

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
Better make sure I've got windscreen cover before October I think

Sent from your iPad using Mental telepathy

Or top RACV cover. There is a reason there are so many flat tops in  surrounding towns
2003 Holden Ute
1996 Cub Camper

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
Driving south from William Creek and 2 A******s comming in the opposite direction were doing 90+ didnt even slow down. I was down to 40Kmh. and for my efforts I got 3 cracks in the windscreen,  shattered my rear cargo window, and rocks spayed all over the car.

Just stupid redneck bastards. And I wished they had rolled.

What one must remember is that these roads are speed rated at 100kph, and those who appear to be speeding are actually driving to the conditions.

When a dirt road is corrugated it is better to find a speed that sits you on top of the corrugations,( rather than doing 40kph and feeling every bump) normally somewhere around the 90 to 100 kph mark, keep your vehicle in high four wheel drive to get better traction and handling and away you go .

I drive dirt roads all the time and have been doing so for over 35 years, but I will always lift my right foot when I approach an oncoming car, this reduces the drive on the wheel and reduces the amount of fly rock.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline Darcy7

• Hard Top Camper User
    • RVeeThereYet.com
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:37 AM »
Sorry Duggie but I don't necessarily agree with you on that one.

Most of these roads are in speed derestricted areas so the state limit applies.  That doesn't mean they are rated to any specific speed.  The prevailing conditions of the road would change far too regularly for that.  Also, I'm pretty certain sections of the GRR are actually signposted 80ks and I think even less at some river crossings.

Regardless of all that, yes it may be better to drive at a speed that makes corrugations easier to traverse, but when approaching another vehicle, common sense says you should slow down.  I get it that trucks find that difficult, but smaller vehicles have no excuses.

What happened to the OP and others here in these situations is a disgrace....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:22:30 AM by Darcy7 »