Author Topic: 3week trip to America in late October  (Read 11870 times)

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 3week trip to America in late October
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 06:47:43 AM »
That sounds like an epic trip mikeb62. Wish we had if had that much time.

X2 on best western
X2 on the tipping. Didn't worry us, and your right about he service.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Mikeb62

• Swag User
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2014, 01:13:45 PM »
Here a onedrive link below to some photos I took of the Utah parks. Highly recommended. I was blown away by the landscapes. You definitely want to go further than just Grand Canyon if you ever get there. We were lucky with fine windless days in winter, if we hit bad weather would have adjusted itinerary to suit. In fact, last 500k to JH was in heavy snow at start of a 4 day storm, so great for skiing...but somewhat tiring drive getting there!
http://1drv.ms/1uh5JiR

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
awesome pics mate

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
We did 2 weeks last September. 7 days in Anaheim and 7 days in San Diego. Because our 2 darlings don't eat normal food ::) we steered clear of the buffets for breakfast. We went to a 7 eleven and bought some plastic cutlery and bowls then some milk and cereal. Also bottled water for when we were out and about during the day.
If you motel it not all rooms have a fridge just in case you carry refrigerated food or drinks so check before paying.
I loved the Americans and found them really nice people who adore Aussies. My experience with their meal sizes was they weren't that much larger than our servings but there was exceptions.
Regarding tipping as mentioned above just embrace it otherwise you will beat yourself up and sour your trip.
In SD the USS Missouri is a good way to consume a few hours. Seaport village which is near the aircraft carrier is a good spot for a casual lunch in a restaurant and pick up a few souvenirs.  We did the duck boat seal tour which was pretty cool.
These days when I buy souvenirs for myself I get stubby holders and stickers. In all the theme parks I went to and other places of interest about 5% had them ???
Sea World in SD is fantastic. Leaves ours on the Gold Coast for dead.
In Anaheim 3 days in Disney Land/Californian Adventure Land is easy to do but we had kids and I really enjoyed it as well. Downtown Disney for meals and shopping is a good experience as well.
Agree about the shopping in the discount outlets. We had to buy 2 suitcases to come home.

We will go again to do LV, San Fran etc and maybe go to Florida for Disney Land. The wife wants to do the Disney Land marathon. We landed in LA the day the Disney Land marathon was on and for 3 days after the Americans wore their finishing medals so proud and patriotic they are. It is amazing how they respect their armed forces veterans wherever you go and especially at the killer whale show at Sea World. Other who have been will know what I mean.

Ah you have me reminiscing about our trip now.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 08:10:04 PM »
It is amazing how they respect their armed forces veterans wherever you go and especially at the killer whale show at Sea World. Other who have been will know what I mean.

Ah you have me reminiscing about our trip now.

Yep.  Know what you mean. Also San Diego has a big Italian culture, which means, great food. We had our concierge find us the best, most authentic Italian restaurant there was. As it turned out we walked straight past a line of people waiting at the door, into a packed restaurant, picked up a menu, the only thing I could understand was the price, and had the best meal I've ever eaten. Also had the best onion rings at dinner, in the fox sports bar at the hilton in San Diego. 

Yeah making me want to head back over now

Offline Ian Wilkinson

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
It's a pretty cool part of the world you are heading to.

Vegas is great, been there 5 times. The strip is worth seeing for sure, but I like old Vegas better for personality. As others have said shopping is very cheap in the US at the outlets, the last 3 or 4 trips I've done there I really have travelled with an empty suitcase and bought clothes there, for all the family. Lots of cheap kids clothes and shoes, makes it worth while buying the next couple of years worth of outfits.

Accom is very cheap in Vegas, we always stay at the Signature apartments in the MGM, very flash, and you'll get them for about $120 a night. Lots of other hotels are 1/3 of that price, so cheap.

Very easy to hire an RV and trip around in that, there's about 5x as many RV's on the road there than there is caravans and campers here, they really are everywhere. RV parks at every tourist destination too, you'll pay about $40 a night. The little food diners along the road are a fave of mine, love the American style ribs, 1 serve feeds 3 normal people almost.

Have to disagree about Hway 1 being better than the Great Ocean Road, never heard anyone else say that that has done both, it is a good drive though. From Vegas, the least impressive thing would be the South Rim tourist area of the Grand Canyon, down the bottom of the Grand Canyon is pretty cool, but standing gat the main tourist lookout, the little township of the Grand Canyon I'd skip myself. Horseshoe Bend down near Antelope Canyon is stunning, 100x better than the main GC area, IMO.

Bryce Canyon is great, Xion is one of my favourite parts of the world, you could easily do 3-4 days there, but some of the walks are 8 hours long, but so worth it. Death Valley is pretty cool, totally the other direction to the other locations but easily worth a few days. You will need to hire a 4WD to see many parts of it though.

Monument Valley is a pretty decent hike from Vegas, lots to see, but that is a lot of driving.

The Hoover Dam did nothing for me, LA did little for me, although it is kind of fun driving through Rodeo Drive and Hollywood, and I did enjoy Venice Beach and one of the Piers, but neither were like I imagined. Venice Beach was much grottier and dumpier than I expected.

If you do head from Vegas to Death Valley, you can buy fireworks about an hour or so from Vegas, very cheap and many are pretty powerful. Good fun if you have kids with you. If you drive from Vegas to DV to SF, drop into Sequoia National Park for a few hours.

Hiring an RV and living in that for a couple of weeks is an option worth considering, we've hired them 3 times and have loved them. Even Disneyland has an RV park close by. That means you have a fridge and clothes everywhere you go. Some major shopping centres like Walgrens encourage you to overnight it for free in their carpark, but RV parks are pretty cheap so not a big deal.

So much to see !

Offline Brooklyn

• Swag User
    • Miles from Brooklyn
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
I'm quite late on this thread, but as one of the few (only?) Americans on this site, I'm happy to provide any info. I'm from New York City so particularly any details on that area or the east coast, I might be able to be of some suggestions  (although I realize it might be too late for your upcoming trip).

For restaurant recommendations, I think it's worth downloading Yelp. Anything with more than 4 stars and a decent number of reviews is usually really good. Anything less than 3 is usually worth staying away from.
American family of 4 traveling around Oz in a 100 Series Land Cruiser and a Cub camper since August 2014.
Follow our journey
Facebook: Miles from Brooklyn
Instagram: milesfrombrooklyn

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2014, 07:58:44 PM »
Are you going to America, or just the US??

One is a sub-set of the other.......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:57 PM »
I'm quite late on this thread, but as one of the few (only?) Americans on this site, I'm happy to provide any info. I'm from New York City so particularly any details on that area or the east coast, I might be able to be of some suggestions  (although I realize it might be too late for your upcoming trip).

For restaurant recommendations, I think it's worth downloading Yelp. Anything with more than 4 stars and a decent number of reviews is usually really good. Anything less than 3 is usually worth staying away from.

Good one mate, we have a trip to NY planned for a couple of years away. Hopefully it all comes together

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2014, 06:38:57 PM »
One more day and I will be flying out to New York. :cup:
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline bluejay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 09:58:17 PM »
Mate
Route 66 is a must or it was for us you just need to google" black top candy" hire one of the  old cars 60s mustang etc set you back about 12-15 grand  for 18 days but what a blast.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »
Good one mate, we have a trip to NY planned for a couple of years away. Hopefully it all comes together
Im from Upstate New York, appx 500 miles North of the city and 10 miles from the Canadian border, so if you would like any information let me know.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown