Author Topic: A response from Department of Transport and Main Roads - Couplings  (Read 6401 times)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
Hi Swaggers.
Firstly.
I wish not to cause any problems, nor pick on any particular manufacturer with this post, and hope it does not come to that.

I do wish to point out that following that now locked post about the couplings, I took it upon myself to make contact with the Department of Transport and Main Roads here in Queensland about it.
The purpose of me making this post is to encourage others to do like wise in your state if you see something which is not made as you think it should. OK, a dodgy Toaster is something different, but a bad coupling is for concern to any road user.
Here is a response I got.

David

Thank you for your email to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) about the fitting of non-compliant  trailer couplings.

TMR is currently aware that a number of unscrupulous component manufacturers and/or importers are supplying/fitting non-compliant trailer couplings to the market and this is of concern. I have been informed that TMR Registration Unit is currently reviewing the registration inspection process and introducing targeted inspections which is hoped will reduce the instances of non-complying trailers being registered. Additionally, to address the instances of non-compliant couplings already in use we have informed compliance enforcement area and targeted enforcement will be undertaken.

I trust this information is of assistance.

Kind regards,

I think it is nice that 1. I got an answer, 2. They are onto it. Hopefully the correct outcome is made.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: A response from Department of Transport and Main Roads - Couplings
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
Quote from: DaveR
...  we have informed compliance enforcement area and targeted enforcement will be undertaken
against who? trailers driving past? or manufacturers, ebay sellers etc.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Tractor88

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
Excellent, thanks Dave. Lets hope those who are responsible and who obviously couldn't care less for the safety of the Australian public get the book thrown at them. Long over due I reckon.

Cheers mate for the info.      :cheers:

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
Good question, not sure, but they do pull folk over at road side inspection stations here in QLD, and they do have a list of vehicle types to target for the occasion.
My neighbor was pulled over with his caravan in tow not long ago, along with a few others.
My guess is that they shall try to check the sellers mainly. At least I would hope so.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Quote from: DaveR
Good question, not sure, but they do pull folk over at road side inspection stations here in QLD, and they do have a list of vehicle types to target for the occasion.
My neighbor was pulled over with his caravan in tow not long ago, along with a few others.
My guess is that they shall try to check the sellers mainly. At least I would hope so.
Yea, be great fo those driving from Qld to Melb to jump on the Ferry to Tassie..
Then get pulled over and told they have to have their trailer towed - holiday destroyed...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Tractor88

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
They will also defect the trailer and require it to be made compliant. Lots of complaints to the seller/manufacturer/importer.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
against who? trailers driving past? or manufacturers, ebay sellers etc.

I would suggest they will start with new ones being registered, visits to trailer places, letters to retailers etc.

I bet if you go to transfer rego or need to get an inspection it will be one of the things they look for.

You may find that they also send the transport inspectors along with RBT Police or similar to have a crack down.

I doubt the trailer would be put off the road.  It is a non compliance issue not an actual 'danger' clearly present at the time.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
About time. Hopefully big fines to those selling non-compliment hitches.

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »
About time. Hopefully big fines to those selling non-compliment hitches.

Its great to see that they will clean this up but unfortunately there will be some carnage with everyday punters who's trailer has come with these non approved units copping fines.
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
What are they going to inspect for? A non marked hitch? Will you be fined for having an incorrect AS number on the hitch?.
A bit of a quick search of "Ozhitch http://ozhitch.com/testing/   & "McHitch"  http://mchitch.com.au/adr-testing websites state testing seems to be upto manufacturerby a sort of self assessment criteria.

Compliance with this ADR can be achieved in one of two ways. The first, and most widely accepted way of meeting this requirement is for the manufacturer to declare their opinion that, based on the specifications of the coupling, they would either meet or exceed the testing regime of 62/02, without having actually undergone the testing..

The second, official and most expensive way is for the the coupling to be tested by an independent third party in an approved testing laboratory via high load static and cyclic testing.

So how are TMR going to argue in a roadside test that the hitch isnt compliant?
OK so maybe the imported ones are wrong by referencing the AS, but really the way i read it, if their happy to say the hitch will meet the ADR requirements, then what right has the TMR got to say otherwise unless of course they take a hitch & get it tested. Which we know wont happen in Qld cos we're broke,
I have been talking to the guy i got my camper from (just to ask the question) & he intimated to me that like other manufacturers above its upto manufacturer to decide.
Its interesting that when i went to pick up my CT, they sent me down to Transport dept with all paperwork & i came back with the plates. No inspection there, maybe thats why CT traders always tell you that rego is not included & must be arranged separately (limit their liability)

I spose if ones not happy with the current hitch then just have to replace it with one they will be happy with.
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:52:36 PM »
Its great to see that they will clean this up but unfortunately there will be some carnage with everyday punters who's trailer has come with these non approved units copping fines.
Warnings for CT owners, fines for the importers and eBay sellers.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
Quote from: muzza01
Warnings for CT owners, fines for the importers and eBay sellers.

So Su Mee or his cousin Manchu Dong in China the Ebay seller wont care about fines...
that's the sad part.. everyone shops on ebay now.

I just think its unfair to fine Joe Citizen for something he would have zero idea about... 99% of people would assume their trailers once registered to be legal - wouldn't they?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:16:34 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »
... 99% of people would assume their trailers once registered to be legal - wouldn't they?
And why wouldn't they.  You pay your money & perhaps i'm naive but thought they wouldnt sell something like that which may be unsafe or illegal. Its not like most people would buy a camper whilst at the pub on a friday after work out the back.
I wouldn't have had any idea nor cared but for the info coming from this site.
Worth the price of admission already  :cheers:
All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
Quote from: Moggy
And why wouldn't they.  You pay your money & perhaps i'm naive but thought they wouldnt sell something like that which may be unsafe or illegal.
yep, agree 200%.

But in this modern cost cutting world to stay competitive.. anywhere they can save a $...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
Guessing it goes along the lines of some after market gear for cars etc .. its not illegal to sell or buy it ... Just illegal to fit it and use it on the roads ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »

Interesting from the TMR website.

Trailers with an Aggregate Trailer Mass (ATM) of 750kg or less do not have to be inspected and can be self-assessed by completing the Self Assessment of Single Axle Trailers form (F3970).  However, a self-assessment form cannot be used for imported trailers with an ATM of 750kg or less as these vehicles have to be inspected prior to being registered in Australia for the first time.

To start the process get rid of self assessment. Thats where the problem is. Make sure the trailers are inspected at the main roads service centre and every thing is compliant rather than letting any one write down what ever they want to make sure a trailer is passed.

It was funny when I had the recon motor put in. I took the cruiser to the service centre filled in the paperwork, drove the cruiser around the back to the inspection area and the lady inspector was supposed to confirm the new engine number matched the form. The engine number was too hard to see so she just stamped the paperwork.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
Does anybody really want to spend more time at the transport dpt. It is without doubt THE worst Government department IMO

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

T.E. Lawrence

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 12:00:07 AM »
I think you just need to look below the surface a bit on this.
How would you feel if one of these hitches failed and the result caused injury or worse to a family member or loved one.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 04:17:28 AM »
Yea, be great fo those driving from Qld to Melb to jump on the Ferry to Tassie..
Then get pulled over and told they have to have their trailer towed - holiday destroyed...

Non compliant hitch fails, major crash ensues, multiple fatalities.  More serious than a destroyed holiday.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 06:56:16 AM »

It was funny when I had the recon motor put in. I took the cruiser to the service centre filled in the paperwork, drove the cruiser around the back to the inspection area and the lady inspector was supposed to confirm the new engine number matched the form. The engine number was too hard to see so she just stamped the paperwork.

Mark

Only visit QLD TPT when it's raining, for that very reason  ;D

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 07:04:03 AM »
Quote from: Footy Shorts Shane
Only visit QLD TPT when it's raining, for that very reason  ;D
Vicroads you have to have appointments for anything these days :(
usually booked weeks in advance...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:13 AM »
Keep in mind I think the manufacturer just has to state that it complies and stamp the AS number on it to comply.

A new number wont make it any better made.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 07:07:55 AM »
Vicroads you have to have appointments for anything these days :(
usually booked weeks in advance...

We're still living in the 50's up here.........
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....