Author Topic: 4.8 Nissan Patrol owners!  (Read 10202 times)

Offline RLI

• Tent User
4.8 Nissan Patrol owners!
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:01:05 PM »

G'day folks,

I am just inquiring how many folks on the forum have a 4.8 Nissan Patrol Auto as a tow vehicle?

I am currently researching information on the 4.8 autos as a possible replacement vehicle to my current diesel manual. Unfortunately, my darling wife has trouble driving my current a heavily modified 4.2 turbo diesel wagon. However, she does not mind driving an auto. I guess you could call that a win/win situation.

Kind regards,

RLI
 :cheers:
The Halls been rented, the Bands been paid, time to see you dance Pilgrim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
Re: 4.8 Nissan Patrol owners!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:15:16 AM »
No personal experience other then hearing that they thirsty..might not be the best wagon for towing if it drinks like a fish, but then again you would have nice power at hand.

Swanny

Offline Robin Miller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Hi RLI

Sounds a bit like my wife - loves the auto so easy to drive, we have a few 4800's  and towing is interesting.

Personally I don't like to tow anything but have had to tow motorbike trailers across the Simpson , and even towed
 another 4800 on a car trailer after it fell off a cliff at Reddies (over 3 tons).   

The manual 4800 actually tows better when moving and delivers about a 2 second margin over the auto when doing a typical overtaking pass from 80 - 110kmh.
But if its regular van pulling then auto is smoother and the auto 4800 is very good and doesn't even know your pulling a trailer in the 1 ton class.

It is very thirsty though , but its interesting that some  of the 3lt  diesel Patrol owners have had issues , and changed to petrols and suffered no fuel penalty when towing.

I had the auto gearbox in mine worked over - not for towing but to improve downhill braking along with 2.88 transfer case gears and its hard to beat.

Offline RLI

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 09:36:25 AM »
Hi RLI

Sounds a bit like my wife - loves the auto so easy to drive, we have a few 4800's  and towing is interesting.

Personally I don't like to tow anything but have had to tow motorbike trailers across the Simpson , and even towed
 another 4800 on a car trailer after it fell off a cliff at Reddies (over 3 tons).   

The manual 4800 actually tows better when moving and delivers about a 2 second margin over the auto when doing a typical overtaking pass from 80 - 110kmh.
But if its regular van pulling then auto is smoother and the auto 4800 is very good and doesn't even know your pulling a trailer in the 1 ton class.

It is very thirsty though , but its interesting that some  of the 3lt  diesel Patrol owners have had issues , and changed to petrols and suffered no fuel penalty when towing.

I had the auto gearbox in mine worked over - not for towing but to improve downhill braking along with 2.88 transfer case gears and its hard to beat.

G'day Robin,

Thanks for the heads-up mate! Also info regarding the transfer gears.

PS, if it is OK with you, i would like to send a PM to your for your contact phone number so i could discuss the issue regarding the transfer gearing?

Kind regards,

Paul
The Halls been rented, the Bands been paid, time to see you dance Pilgrim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Robin Miller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:17 AM »
No Problems Paul

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »
G'day folks,

I am just inquiring how many folks on the forum have a 4.8 Nissan Patrol Auto as a tow vehicle?

I am currently researching information on the 4.8 autos as a possible replacement vehicle to my current diesel manual. Unfortunately, my darling wife has trouble driving my current a heavily modified 4.2 turbo diesel wagon. However, she does not mind driving an auto. I guess you could call that a win/win situation.

Kind regards,

RLI
Howdy good to see your doing your homework. We have a heavily modded 4.8 auto it's done about 45k and is primarily a holiday tow vehicle. Like you it wasn't my first choice but as my wife only has an auto licence there wasn't much available at the time that suited our needs. Three boys two at or over six foot didn't help. Ok so towing with my old soft floor would return about 22 liters per 100 towing in 4th. With the goldstream which weighs about 2 ton I get about 28 liters per 100 in 4th. You could tow in 5th but unless its flat as and no head wind it won't lock up in 5th and will cause heat buildup so find it's best to tow in 4th. A simple mod off the patrol forum now allows me to use cruise control in 4th manual mode which is not possible without modifying. Interestingly enough Fraser Island returns about 33-35 liters per 100. I can get about 19 on the highway not towing with extractors fitted and bigger exhaust. Considering my car is rather heavy I'm pretty happy with that. From new driving  from Bris Vegas it returned 14.3 per 100 but didn't stay in std form for long. We've been doing the sums on a 4.8 for our oldest lad he wants a 4.2td ute but are rather exy. You can buy a 4.8 with similar ks with some gear on for 8-10 k cheaper and the fuel cost evens out well past 100000 Klms so looks good. Remote travel is also something to think about I have 215 liters under the patrol and is good for 1000 on the road less for towing or Offroad of course.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline Robin Miller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 11:02:54 AM »
Just a note Rocky , recently a 4800 ute was made up by throwing out the 4.2 diesel from a GU Ute , then fitting a serious amount of other bits and my original 4800 petrol motor (standard motor not our 400kw one) was put in its place and it turned the slow noisy smelly old 4.2 into a seriously good ute at  around $20k all up.
Lot of work though.

Offline RLI

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
Howdy good to see your doing your homework. We have a heavily modded 4.8 auto it's done about 45k and is primarily a holiday tow vehicle. Like you it wasn't my first choice but as my wife only has an auto licence there wasn't much available at the time that suited our needs. Three boys two at or over six foot didn't help. Ok so towing with my old soft floor would return about 22 liters per 100 towing in 4th. With the goldstream which weighs about 2 ton I get about 28 liters per 100 in 4th. You could tow in 5th but unless its flat as and no head wind it won't lock up in 5th and will cause heat buildup so find it's best to tow in 4th. A simple mod off the patrol forum now allows me to use cruise control in 4th manual mode which is not possible without modifying. Interestingly enough Fraser Island returns about 33-35 liters per 100. I can get about 19 on the highway not towing with extractors fitted and bigger exhaust. Considering my car is rather heavy I'm pretty happy with that. From new driving  from Bris Vegas it returned 14.3 per 100 but didn't stay in std form for long. We've been doing the sums on a 4.8 for our oldest lad he wants a 4.2td ute but are rather exy. You can buy a 4.8 with similar ks with some gear on for 8-10 k cheaper and the fuel cost evens out well past 100000 Klms so looks good. Remote travel is also something to think about I have 215 liters under the patrol and is good for 1000 on the road less for towing or Offroad of course.

G''day rockygu4.8,

Thanks for your kind advice. With regards to the dual fuel set-up, is there any particular set-up that is better than other set-ups or are they all pretty much the same? I am also looking at getting a dual fuel set-up as well.

Regards,

RLI

Offline RLI

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:13:30 AM »
Just a note Rocky , recently a 4800 ute was made up by throwing out the 4.2 diesel from a GU Ute , then fitting a serious amount of other bits and my original 4800 petrol motor (standard motor not our 400kw one) was put in its place and it turned the slow noisy smelly old 4.2 into a seriously good ute at  around $20k all up.
Lot of work though.

G'day Robin,

Thats value for money. I also note that there is some really good 4.8 auto buys out in the market place at present.

Regards,

Paul

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
From new driving  from Bris Vegas it returned 14.3 per 100 but didn't stay in std form for long.

Thats very good.  Our 4.5 Cruiser could only get 16 on ahighway run.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Robin Miller

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
Thats very good.  Our 4.5 Cruiser could only get 16 on ahighway run.

It pretty consistent with my 2011 auto also Dazz ,  still gets 13.9 on a 95 kph highway run with standard tyres , but also took 19.3lt/100km on 33's E10 and lots 4wding on long weekend 900km High country trip.l

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »
G''day rockygu4.8,

Thanks for your kind advice. With regards to the dual fuel set-up, is there any particular set-up that is better than other set-ups or are they all pretty much the same? I am also looking at getting a dual fuel set-up as well.

Regards,

RLI
Not sure if you mean Gas when talking dual fuel?? I did look at gas but obviously difficult to get gas remotely plus loss of space / cargo area or clearance issues I give it a miss. I did read though initially that the 4.5s took to gas well but then again some have added gas to their 4.8s successfully. Valve clearances seem to get a mention quite a bit in the forums. As for my setup I have a long ranger 145 lt tank plus they also did a custom 70 lt tank with sender, pump etc just had to cut a new hole in the filler area above the std fill port as my patrol only came with the one tank. What clever twit decided that the big petrol didn't deserve a second tank but give one to the little diesel had a brain fade.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
Lot of work though.
sounds like a weapon give the lad a couple of yrs and he could do his own just started a diesel fitter apprenticeship

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Tractor88

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »
RLI, have you thought about an auto gearbox install into your diesel patrol? Apparently they go great and is a cost effective mod. It just sounds like your Patrol has been built well for your needs and just requires an auto box. Just saying.

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
As above, look into a auto conversion. Might work out cheaper than changing cars.

Offline jtraf

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »
I know you are asking about the 4.8 but why not as mentioned by others put an auto into the td42.

I have a GQ TD42 with factory auto as my wife cannot drive a manual.  It is now her daily driver and our touring car.  If you already have a turbo and good power in the td42 an auto is a good option.  Mine also gets better economy towing the safari than during weekly commutes.....

Food for thought.
James - 1994 Patrol GQ TD42T Auto dragging around our 2007 Trackabout Safari Camper

Offline JU5T1N

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 12:17:14 AM »
My patrol started life as a 4.8 auto (wife's car). The 4.8 5 speed autos are the weakest auto  box in the Nissan range. The 2.8, 3 & 4.5 autos are way stronger. However in saying that mine lasted my use with lockers and 35's but I also service it all constantly (habit)

Dual fuel: problem is availability....gas only available along the coast. I went from Tamworth to Rockhampton towing my Swan...no gas anywhere! It was a servo crawl 120k's from aux tank as my main was the gas. If this not an issue gas injection is the only way.
But seriously would look at the auto conversion on your current rig as it's already built. Check out Marks Adaptors.

Nissan whore:
Nissan Patrol GUramax (Stripped by ADC)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTR V-spec 480awkw
Nissan Skyline R34 GTR M-spec 830awkw (NOW SOLD)

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 07:04:29 AM »

It pretty consistent with my 2011 auto also Dazz ,  still gets 13.9 on a 95 kph highway run with standard tyres , but also took 19.3lt/100km on 33's E10 and lots 4wding on long weekend 900km High country trip.l

Thats still pretty good I reckon for the power.  Its like dating a stripper.  Sure there will be issues, but bang for bung (pun intended) they are hard to beat.

:police:

If you own a big petrol 4wd its worth having a drive of a diesel one every third tank of fuel.  Takes away the pain.  LOL.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline RLI

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »

G'day folks,

Thanks for all the kind info!

Regards,

RLI