Author Topic: A Question for Trail Bikers  (Read 1539 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
A Question for Trail Bikers
« on: January 22, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
I'm not having a go here, I need some help  :angel:
If you were going to design a barrier to prevent trail bikes entering an area that is environmentally very sensitive but still allow easy access for beach goers and kayaks ( kayaks are upto 1 metre wide and 700mm high and 5metres long and 60kg's)
How hard would it be to drag a trail bike under a couple of hurdles set at 800mm below the bottom rail, 800mm apart and the uprights 1000mm apart.

This question is the result of the usuall very minority, dumbass, irresponsible idiots riding trail bikes through an area that is a bird rookery, not just happy to ride on the beach. >:(

Parks Vic have installed a barrier system that allows walkers and horses through, but stops trail bikes and makes it very difficult for the kayakers to get through.

Any help and ideas will be greatly appreciated
cheers Keith  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
Re: A Question for Trail Bikers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
Large metal detector connected to a AK47 set to 1 second burst should fix them.  :police:
I used to ride chook chasers in my youth but only in prescribed areas (such as golf courses LOL  :angel: ). The usual story, a few idiots spoil it for all.
I would say that your barriers would stop a few but if they really wanted to get in they would not stop them dragging the bikes through.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
Put up a fence, arseholes will just go around it. You wont stop scrotes like that no matter what you do. They don't care and have little respect.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:41:08 PM »
Kinda agree with Lost here - as soon as you make something fool-proof, someone goes and makes a better fool.

What about the opposite approach - a pair of high-def video cameras on the sides of the entrance track, hooked up to a motion detector? Rig up a basic speed-sensor trigger (a pair of inflatable tubes like the road counting machines use) so you don't have to sift through footage of bushwalkers coming through. Review footage weekly, pass on photos + day/times to the police. If you notice a pattern (every Friday at 6pm, say), the 5-0 might be able to sit there one day and wait for them. If you want to be nice, stick up a big sign explaining why no trail bikes are allowed, so that the riders don't think they're just being arbitrarily locked out.

Alternatively, how heavy are these kayaks? Rather than having a hole for the kayaks to go under the fence, are you able to fit a boat roller to the top of the fence? Kayak person walks up to fence, puts kayak on ground, lifts nose up and rests it on roller. Person walks through turnstile or other bike-unfriendly device. Person pulls kayak over the fence, aided by the boat roller. It's a bit messy, and unless you've got an unbroken heavy-duty fence that runs off each side of the gate then they're probably just going to ride around it.

That's my $0.02. It's worth considerably less than you paid though.

Cheers,
Matt
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.