Author Topic: Adhesive glue for carpet, whats best?  (Read 8324 times)

Offline peter01

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • live the -
    • http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/
Adhesive glue for carpet, whats best?
« on: January 15, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
recently cut and glued down marine carpet to trailer used (selleys KWIK GRIP spray) came home today and carpet has "come away from side walls. any suggestions on how best to secure carpet to trailer other then "liquid nails" would be appreciated
2014 GLXR Triton
2015 Blue Water - FF Darling camper

Our blog:     http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Adhesive glue for carpet, whats best?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »
I am not that keen on the spray on adhesive. I prefer the tins of contact cement and try to get one with an applicator attached to the tin. A lot cheaper than spray glue. Spread the adhesive on both surfaces, let dry until not sticky then press together. Any ridges from the applicator usually pull out as it drys.

For touch up and fiddly stuff, I brush it on.

From my experience, if the glue is still wet when pressed together, it can lift.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »
the spray is not that good for recreational purpose tends to block my sinus for a few months much prefer the brush on and trick not to join surfaces straight after applying let it get really tacky just touch occasionally to check
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
What sort of surface preparation did you do prior to gluing?  Contact adhesive used right will work.  I assume a painted steel trailer tub?  Give the paint a good scuff up, wash down with prepwash or thinners, a good even coverage of adhesive to both surfaces, let the adhesive tack off, then fix down.  Use a heavy roller to help push the carpet down.
Hammertone type paints can also cause issued with glues.
Along exposed edges carpet lifting can almost always be a problem, some type of aluminium diminishing strip is generally better.

If you don't want to re-glue the whole lot, but fix the edges.  Maybe a Sikaflex type adhesive?

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
For carpet the spray is no good. Rodw is on the money.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »
Agree on the rattle can spray on adhesive not being as good. Although 3M used to have a really good one in a black can that I've used plenty of times with good success.  Brushing on can be a pain for large areas.  If you own a compressor, buy a cheap suction type spray gun and use normal contact adhesive from the tin, no thinning required.  Gives a good thick even coverage.

Offline belial

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
Grab a can of Gel Grip http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/construction/flooring-adhesive/gel-grip/ , spread it on the two then bring together when tacky. For vertical surfaces a throw away small sponge paint roller works as a good applicator, just make sure you get a good even coverage that isn't thin like the spray on version. 
Its not terribly expensive and easier to work with than kwik grip on large areas and best of all it works.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 07:37:38 AM by belial »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 08:32:13 AM »
Yep spray on stuff from can is not good especially on the carpets. My mate buys the spray on stuff  for putting through your own guns and then uses this with an applicator. It's thinner than the canned stuff and goes on easier and spreads more even. And of course you let it tack off before fixing?

Contact adhesive will/should hold carpet down.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline Trex_s4m1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • need more toys! :D
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »
how about several press studds glued down with some strong araldite or something similar. few in the corners and a few around the edges. makes it easy to take the carpet out and clean/dry if something untoward happens or it gets wet.
i was fitting out my new boat and decided on a removable option.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »
When i put marine carpet down on the floor of my CT i used "contact bond" i applied it to the carpet with a brush up to 150mm in from the edges. I then applied it to the floor of CT, again up to 150mm in from the outside edges. I then applied a second coating to the carpet and left it for 15 minutes. I then laid the carpet onto the floor and applied pressure around the edges by hand. That was over three years ago and have never had a problem with it lifting or shifting. I don't believe it is necessary to glue down the centre of the carpet.

Offline chetty

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 01:35:38 PM »
I have used 3m spray that I cover the large centre areas and then do the edges and small surfaces with Shelleys gel grip. The spray does not seem to hold edges very well.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
We didn't actually bother glueing it down.  Put some of that nonslip grippy mat stuff under the tailgate end and it stays put just fine.  It might depend on what type of carpet you have. 

This way it can be pulled out for a proper cleaning when someone doesn't pack the bottles of cider properly and there is a need for a thorough wash out. 

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 04:46:22 PM »
I am not that keen on the spray on adhesive. I prefer the tins of contact cement and try to get one with an applicator attached to the tin. A lot cheaper than spray glue. Spread the adhesive on both surfaces, let dry until not sticky then press together. Any ridges from the applicator usually pull out as it drys.

For touch up and fiddly stuff, I brush it on.

From my experience, if the glue is still wet when pressed together, it can lift.
X2
I work for a carpet business & as oldmate said he's on the money

Offline slowhilux

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:40 AM »
Does the same principle apply when attaching marine carpet to plywood and aluminium on a boat? I gotta build in the V nose on the car topper
95 80 series, 1HDFTE, A750, bits n pieces
03 Kedron ATV, Topender chassis, all the fruit

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 07:48:17 AM »
Does the same principle apply when attaching marine carpet to plywood and aluminium on a boat? I gotta build in the V nose on the car topper

Ply is not a problem. I would be  cleaning ally very well before application but I don't think it will be any diferent.

Offline peter01

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • live the -
    • http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »
well off to the hardware for contact cement appreciate the help
2014 GLXR Triton
2015 Blue Water - FF Darling camper

Our blog:     http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/