Author Topic: A reminder to drive safe before and after Christmas  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
A reminder to drive safe before and after Christmas
« on: December 27, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
I didn't want to steal Dingo's thread at this time, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=34304.0
But it prompted me to put this one out there as well.

That is a reminder for everyone to take care during the madness of the holiday period, but also when everyone goes back to work.

In Gippsland this year between the middle of January and end of March there were 17 truck crashes, 15 of these involved other cars. The majority of these were the cars "being in places they weren't meant to be" (ie wrong side of the road or similar).
17 crashes in this 10 week period was about 50% higher then for the rest of the year, although in about October we had 4 fatalities in 3 weeks, all with cars on the wrong side of the road.

Most of these crashes could be generalized as caused by either fatigue/inattention or distraction (phones?). How else do you explain how people can't see a truck.

One truck driver involved in a double fatality stated that he could see the car driver using a GPS (or similar), then turned to face the on coming truck....then just pulled straight out of the T intersection.

These figures don't include similar crashes that trucks aren't involved in, but my day job revolves around the heavy vehicle side of things, hence my concentration on them.

Due to this high incidence of crashes, myself and a few other road safety advocates from the transport industry and local shire put our heads together to try to do something.

We have no budget (no official backing from our various government employers), and very little knowledge in the publicity department.....but we are having a go anyway.

We are trying to get as many heavy vehicles to operate for this 10 week period with their headlights on. This is for 3 main reasons.
* Hopefully other road users have a better chance of seeing them.
* It highlights the issue to the truck driver that it is a high risk period and for him/her to consciously turn their lights on they are hopefully making the decision to drive more defensively as well.
* With hopefully a high proportion of trucks operating with headlights on throughout Gippsland the other road users will (with a bit of prompting from local radio, print and TV news media) also be prompted to drive more defensively.

We can only try.

You can check out the basis of what we are doing here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Truckies-Lighting-Up-For-Safety/547266378701468?fref=ts (hopefully the link works ???).

And if anyone a bit more internet savvy than me has any advice or suggestions please throw them my way.

Most importantly, stay alert over the festive season......and when everyone goes back to work :cup:

Peter

NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
Re: A reminder to drive safe before and after Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »
Tis  a good idea Pete, shared on my page... :cheers:

Poverty Pack.!

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »
Driving North on the GV Hwy  home yesterday arvo Gold falcon oncoming towards me heading South . Only 1 small problem GTV Hwy is 2 LANES north & 2 LANES south . This clown had turned on & missed the other lanes . That's the 2ND time its happened in 2 weeks . That keeps you awake .
 On unfamiliar roads look a bit harder as you go  ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:43:24 AM »
I am happy to say that I have made a conscious effort this holiday season as my commute to work is 130Km, then 130Km home.

Travelling at 95Kph has added a whole 4 minutes to my trip (or there abouts) and has improved my fuel economy as an added bonus.

I found that travelling even 5-10Kph slower has given me the ability to react much better to situations, I constantly get oncoming cars over taking trucks, people for no apparent reason on the wrong side of the road, and people avoiding road kill.

I cannot say for sure that an incident has been saved, as if I was travelling faster I wouldn't have been in the same place at the same time. What I can say is that I feel more relaxed when I get home/to work, saved money and have lsot less than 10 minutes a day of my life for those benefits.

Yes I am aware of cars wanting to do the speed limit (or above) coming up behind me. If an overtaking lane or opportunity is not apparent I will speed up to 100Kph, or pull over where it is safe to let them past. I will almost certainly catch up to them in the not too distant future as they are stuck behind a truck, train crossing etc...

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
mates drove home from Ballina yesterday morning and told us they had a van roll in front of them near Chinderah. The driver had fallen asleep and ran off the road, all 3 inside the van lucky to escape unhurt or with very minor injuries. Mate reckons there was a guy on the opposite side of the road broken down (refuelling his car) about 20mtrs away, hates to think what could have happened if the van headed that way instead.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
Towing the swan on Boxing Day on a 4 hr trip. Sat between 95 & 100 all the way and had 9 people overtake on double lines, 2 people overtake & then realize they have ran out of space and cut back in within a meter of me ( while towing), 3 people giving me a stare as they overtook.

It gave me a great amount of time with my kids discussing how to not drive and the ramifications of there actions if I ever caught them driving like that on the roads.
What is wrong with people?
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »
Mate reckons there was a guy on the opposite side of the road broken down (refuelling his car) about 20mtrs away, hates to think what could have happened if the van headed that way instead.

Some good reading here about trying to reduce risks when broken down - http://www.caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44311

Just reinforces the facts that there is bugger all between any "slight" run off road due to fatigue or distraction and an innocent party parked up or traveling the opposite way not making it home  :'(.

Peter
NX Pajero
Home made camper

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 07:39:06 AM »
This is what our headlights on campaign is trying to avoid -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=567192400042199[

The company involved showed me this video not long after the event but has been very weary of publishing it due to the confronting nature of it.

Unfortunately the registration number of the car is not able to be read to enable the car driver to be interviewed and their side of the story to be ascertained.

The picture from behind is another truck from the same company.

When the original video is viewed carefully the driver of the white ute at the end of the clip can be seen with his hands on his head in apparent shock.

Peter
NX Pajero
Home made camper

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:44:20 PM »
CFA had to attend a roll over on GV Highway . A twin cab ute North bound , minding its business was confronted by a spare wheel that dropped off a trailer . The weld broke , the wheel went wild . The Ute slammed on the picks  , swerved  , then barrel rolled 100M .  All 3 got smacked about , blooded & bruised  , but still talking to us .
Take a few extra mins to get home safe . Drive as though everybody is out to take you out , & not for drinks  .    :police:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust