Author Topic: A Registration Question  (Read 4089 times)

UIZ733

A Registration Question
« on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:31 AM »
A question for the brains trust. I live in Qld, and am intending to buy a Vic. registered camper in Victoria, and wish to continue a holiday (say for 6 weeks) without returning to Qld. On purchase of a vehicle, Qld regulations give the purchaser two weeks (I think) to complete registration and transfers etc. However if one is not in Qld the transfer cannot be done due to the requirement for Qld roadworthy and gas (rip-offs) I mean certs. Are there any legitimate ways of solving the problem? What are the legal implications one needs to be aware of?
Regards and thanks

Offline Hills Mum Bec

• Swag User
Re: A Registration Question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:41:34 AM »
Could you transfer it into your name in Vic before you leave then transfer it again in Qld when you return home?
2014 Mitsubishi Pajero VRX

2007 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »
Could you transfer it into your name in Vic before you leave then transfer it again in Qld when you return home?

UIZ would need to prove he lives in VIC.......to be able to register a trailer in vic

i'm not sure you have too many options.....

does qld transport need to see the trailer?

UIZ733

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
UIZ would need to prove he lives in VIC.......to be able to register a trailer in vic

i'm not sure you have too many options.....

does qld transport need to see the trailer?
Yes.................I suppose there needs to be some justification for the rip-off.  ;D

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
G'day mate, we drove to Melbourne to pick up our Vista and it was registered in Vic.
On our way home we called into Roma Dept of Transport and changed it over to Qld.
Even though the camper was brand new they still had to see the camper and run a tape over it.
Didn't need a gas cert as it didn't have a plumbed in gas stove.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
just keep driving :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:42 AM »
I have sold registered cars in vic without a RWC several times by just transferring
ownership into the new persons name ($28.00 or sometime similar last one was a few years back now) this then makes them accountable for any legalities (fines or offenses) while giving them 28 days to front with a RWC before vic roads suspends the rego.

I'll add that they actually test drove the car to vic roads where we completed the
paperwork together, for my piece of mind.
Maybe this could work.

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »
If there is no convenient way to do it legally, perhaps with some sort of temporary permits etc, ask the seller if they'd mind the Camper be kept in their name for the time being for you to have the 6 week holiday and then give them notice when it is all done and dusted at your end with the change over when back home.
If there is a rego transfer document signed on the day of the sale, they the seller is protected should something bad happen when you are traveling.
Insurance, you can get the insurance cover on the day of purchase, just tell them it will take an unknown time to get home. As long as you tell them, it is OK.
I have done something similar to this with a car, not planned, but events changed on my way home to Cairns from Syd where I got it, I just called the seller and told them, and the insurance and told them as well, as long as I tell them, all was well.
Have fun
Dave
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

UIZ733

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:28:13 AM »
Thanks all for the input.
An update. My wife spoke to somebody in Vic transport yesterday, and apparently we can register the vehicle in our names, in Victoria if we provide an address. Apparently one does NOT need to reside/live at this address. Once registered all is legal according to this person. We will research more and verify.

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 09:41:10 AM »
Along the lines of what DaveR has said maybe you can get two receipts if the seller will co-operate, one for the date of sale to cover them and another for when you will be close to transfer. As far as insurance is concerned you would think you could insure it from the date of sale receipt.

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
Thanks all for the input.
An update. My wife spoke to somebody in Vic transport yesterday, and apparently we can register the vehicle in our names, in Victoria if we provide an address. Apparently one does NOT need to reside/live at this address. Once registered all is legal according to this person. We will research more and verify.

This is correct i live in WA and had the camper still rego'd in vic for 6 months when i first moved over here i just used a mates place in vic CIL had no problem it was registered in 1 state and garaged in another
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline cardinal28

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
You only need a 'Storage Address' in Victoria to keep it on Vic Rego and use your 'Home Address' for all mailing. Luckly the missus has a cousin in Vic and we have kept the van on Vic Rego. $46 per year.
We were told by the van company that some people even stay a couple of nights at a van park just down the road from them and use that van park as their storage address. Apparently a loop hole in Vic Roads Rego Regs.
Maybe the person you purchase the camper from would let you use their address as a 'Storage Address'
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:17:09 PM by cardinal28 »
Growing old is inevitable - growing up is optional.