Author Topic: 4WD Education  (Read 3776 times)

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD Education
« on: July 23, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
Hi
I have just purchased a 4wd Narava having never owned a 4wd before.
My question is how does one learn the basics. Join a 4wd club or get lessons from a commercial body.
The club that I have looked at is the Toyota Land Cruiser Club. They seem well organised and run free classes to teach various skills and welcome other makes of 4wd.
How have you guys gained your skills or is a case of suck it and see?
Do you know of a better club or association in Sydney?
Jeff

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: 4WD Education
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
I always tell people to come and look at our club, go on a trip or 2 see what you think of it.
I also tell people to go look at 2 or 3 clubs.

Club life isnt for everybody.. but you do get to meet like minded people, get discounts and learn.

You can driver training courses, but they are fairly exxy I reckon.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline westvic

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
yep, join a club

As Lost said, check out a few if there are several available to see what works for you and your requirements.

Then do the training, go on some club trips, end enjoy  ;D
Getting there if half the fun

The other half is a cold beer when you do.

Offline Lori

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:20:25 PM »
We are with the TLCC, I haven't done the training, but my husband has and he enjoyed it and learnt a few things along the way.

There are lots of members who join the TLCC to do the driver training and then don't renew. I believe the 1st year membership is cheaper than doing a commercial course, but don't quote me on that.

Most commercial courses have some sort of governing body accreditation, as do some 4WD clubs courses.

Also being a member of a club can be a good way of getting out on the tracks, but all clubs are different and have different dynamics and goals, so it's best to attend some meetings and find the one that best suits you.

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
Hi
I have just purchased a 4wd Narava having never owned a 4wd before.
My question is how does one learn the basics. Join a 4wd club or get lessons from a commercial body.
The club that I have looked at is the Toyota Land Cruiser Club. They seem well organised and run free classes to teach various skills and welcome other makes of 4wd.
How have you guys gained your skills or is a case of suck it and see?
Do you know of a better club or association in Sydney?
Jeff

Go have a look at a few clubs and see if it's for you. Or join a few forums and keep an eye out
for suitable forum trips and enjoy the company of like minded people and learn as you go.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »
I always tell people to come and look at our club, go on a trip or 2 see what you think of it.
I also tell people to go look at 2 or 3 clubs.

Club life isnt for everybody.. but you do get to meet like minded people, get discounts and learn.

You can driver training courses, but they are fairly exxy I reckon.
X2 on what Lost has said above, different clubs suit different people, you need to look at a few and decide which suits you best before you join up.
as mentioned in a previous post also, it can sometimes works out cheaper to join a club and do an accredited course through them if they have their own in house accredited trainer, then it does going through a private mob  (depending on the club you join though).
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »
Head along to a club night.  Check out if they are tossers or not.  Speak with the training officer if they are there.  If they are a tosser then their training will be a toss and you will belt them and go to gaol.

The problem with gaol is that Bubba is a tosser but he keeps dresses for you to wear and he wont wear them so even though you would get loved it is never in a good way.

So best to do the tosser check.  There always seems to be a beard with a tossing training officer.  Dunno why  ???

You can always do a course. There are some good ones out there.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline eman

• Sleeping Bag User
4WD Education
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
I've joined the Triple Diamond club which was first started for Mitsubishi's but all makes are welcome. They seem pretty relaxed, training weekend was interesting and no-one seemed up themselves which is always good. Meetings are the 3rd Tuesday of the month at concord rsl. As has been said check out a few clubs, go to their meetings and see what they are about.

Offline thommo19

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 08:43:22 PM »
Thanks for the input.
Jeff

Offline Signature035

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The older I get...... the better I was
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I think if not a Club,  then probably the best 4WD educator in NSW lives just down the road from you.
Contact Vic Widman at Great Divide Tours,  He has fantastic facilities and offers varying levels of training and introductory trips. 

http://www.greatdividetours.com.au
Rob
2012 Prado D4D Altitude &
04 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD Education
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:37 PM »
Check out the association website 4wdnow, for a club in your local area or wait until the adventure show at eastern creek in October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
Horses for courses, as every one has already stated.
But I really don't think a properly run driver education course can be discounted.
I have done both privately run courses and ones through work to get qualified on various vehicles and I must admit I have learnt allot from them.
some of them weren't worth me getting out of bed to be honest, but a few that I have done were run by pro's and it certainly made me a better driver because of it.

On the other hand, some of the training officers in clubs are definite pro's, and some are wannabe's.
So I'd follow Dazzlers lead on that.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!