Author Topic: 76 series land cruisers  (Read 14224 times)

nbd73

Re: 76 series land cruisers
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 05:55:29 PM »
Couple of spacers soon fixes that, have you fitted the spacers I gave you Fuji?
D4D, are they legal ie will they affect insurance?

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 05:55:57 PM »

No not yet.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »

Hmmmm, don't think so. Recaro seat aren't legal until they have been signed off by a engineer and VicRoads

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »

Doesn't matter he runs HIDs anyway  ;D

I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
One other oft over looked technical fact about the 76 series is that the front track is 80-100mm wider than the rear. This may or may not be an issue, but as an example it means when driving in soft, rutted sand that the back wheels are not tracking perfectly behind the front & therefore incurring extra resistance. Quantifying this in any meaningful way is difficult, but for what its worth driven back to back with a petrol GQ patrol (which my father still owns) the 76 "seems" to struggle in comparison IMHO. As before this comment could be at odds with other opinions, but in my experience on myswag there is a definite trend for owners to defend their own ride with very one eyed biased opinions rather than accepting that every vehicle has an intended use & will have limitations when used for other purposes. Eg I am well aware a 200 series is poor tight twisting tracks, where excess weight is an issue, and where parking ANYWHERE is required. But don't use it much in those circumstances, therefore suits me. Same for 76: there are plenty of situations where this is the ultimate vehicle of choice, and maybe highway noise, crap driving position and stupidly low 5th gearing are issues that don't affect you, in which case it would be perfect.

IMHO
Lowering tyre pressures to a suitable pressure would compensate for the tracking difference!
OT, Are the 76 a twin turbo'ed engine? As I thought they were a single turbo unit?
I recently spotted a 76 stickered up "Twin Turbo" ??

cheers
Cheers

Jwb

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »

Wheel spacers are NOT legal.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »
Wheel spacers are NOT legal.

Agreed but there are wheel spacers and then there are wheel spacers. The spacers I gave Fuji are hub centric and have their own studs rather than just spacing out the rim and loosing length on the OE studs.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 06:21:14 PM by D4D »

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 06:18:03 PM »
jwb, maybe he ripped out the motor and put in a 200 series twin turbo. Is that anything like the wa%^#kers putting chev badges on their Commodores? lol
fuji

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2013, 06:22:03 PM »
Is that anything like the wa%^#kers putting chev badges on their Commodores? lol

That's your favourite target around here isn't it  :police:

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »
you blokes ( and the original poster) would solve all your Toyota problems if............. :angel:
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2013, 06:29:47 PM »
  Is that anything like the wa%^#kers putting chev badges on their Commodores? lol
fuji

:cup: :cup: GOLD I have to agree with your statement.

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

nbd73

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
you blokes ( and the original poster) would solve all your Toyota problems if............. :angel:
Yes, if only the OP had signalled their intention to buy your brand. In fact with the type of loyalty on display they would probably give u a job in PR & sales....

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
Yes, if only the OP had signalled their intention to buy your brand. In fact with the type of loyalty on display they would probably give u a job in PR & sales....
hope it pays well  ;D
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

nbd73

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2013, 06:48:15 PM »
hope it pays well  ;D
I was of the impression you would do it for love.... ;D

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2013, 06:48:33 PM »
That's your favourite target around here isn't it  :police:

Yep and Shittey beat up Comodes. Find one of them and just about guarantee he will be on a suspended licence :police:

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
Agreed but there are wheel spacers and then there are wheel spacers. The spacers I gave Fuji are hub centric and have their own studs rather than just spacing out the rim and loosing length on the OE studs.
Fair enough but still illegal.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Tbombadelaide

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
Hi,
I had a 76 from new. 3 years and 140000 ks. It was 2007. Used heaps of oil for the first 45000ks. I'm pretty sure this problem was fixed over the years. Had stacks of power, i loved the off road ability, Snow and ice, mud, sand, all in its stride. Reliability was good, no breakdowns. Fuel economy was around 10.5 l/100ks over the 3 years. i never noticed any negative effect from the wheel bases differing widths. Towing was a breeze. The suspension was horrid (i kept it standard tho). I liked the driving postion and found it quite comfortable. There were no creature comforts at all, not even a cup holder. Did i mention the power? I sold it and purchased a new d4d sr5 hilux and hated it, felt gutless compared to the mighty v8. I really miss the 76 series and will most likely get another one oneday....

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2013, 07:52:03 PM »
One other oft over looked technical fact about the 76 series is that the front track is 80-100mm wider than the rear. This may or may not be an issue, but as an example it means when driving in soft, rutted sand that the back wheels are not tracking perfectly behind the front & therefore incurring extra resistance. Quantifying this in any meaningful way is difficult, but for what its worth driven back to back with a petrol GQ patrol (which my father still owns) the 76 "seems" to struggle in comparison IMHO. As before this comment could be at odds with other opinions, but in my experience on myswag there is a definite trend for owners to defend their own ride with very one eyed biased opinions rather than accepting that every vehicle has an intended use & will have limitations when used for other purposes. Eg I am well aware a 200 series is poor tight twisting tracks, where excess weight is an issue, and where parking ANYWHERE is required. But don't use it much in those circumstances, therefore suits me. Same for 76: there are plenty of situations where this is the ultimate vehicle of choice, and maybe highway noise, crap driving position and stupidly low 5th gearing are issues that don't affect you, in which case it would be perfect.

Funny how people make an issue out of this with the 70 Series.  Wonder what the front and rear track for similar vehicles are.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/gu-ute-track-measurement-12056/

As I say it is only an issue to those that want to make it an issue, but don't know the whole story
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:59:21 PM by alnjan »
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »
Doesn't matter he runs HIDs anyway  ;D

Oh that's cruel!

Monkeybucket

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2013, 12:17:41 AM »
Moved to Rants 

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 12:31:34 AM by Monkeybucket »

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »

Doesn't matter what style of spacer is used, the original hub/axle and bearings still see an eccentric/increased load.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Monkeybucket

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2013, 04:11:58 PM »
Other reasons I think they are great...

Lighter than the new Patrol and 200 series equivalent and just as capable. There are more fuel efficient then these equivalents as well with the new Patrol V8 boasting a 17 to 20litre per 100km fuel consumption.  :o even on the hwy.

My 76er with the 4.5ltr V8 turbo Diesel did 12ltres/km last week on the hwy.  :cup:  Neither of the above units can mach this.

Tougher exterior and plenty of options with a awesome 3500kg braked towing platform made better by the leaf springs in the back.

Cheers
Chris
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:15:51 PM by Monkeybucket »

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
Other reasons I think they are great...

Lighter than the new Patrol and 200 series equivalent and just as capable. There are more fuel efficient then these equivalents as well with the new Patrol V8 boasting a 17 to 20litre per 100km fuel consumption.  :o even on the hwy.

My 76er with the 4.5ltr V8 turbo Diesel did 12ltres/km last week on the hwy.  :cup:  Neither of the above units can mach this.

Tougher exterior and plenty of options with a awesome 3500kg braked towing platform made better by the leaf springs in the back.

Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris, I love the 76 series, but I wanted some more creature comforts for a daily drive and Auto.

BTW our 200 returns 12l per 100ks no worries even with the ATs and bullbar. Even giving it stick rarely gets to 13.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

nbd73

« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
Hey Chris, I love the 76 series, but I wanted some more creature comforts for a daily drive and Auto.

BTW our 200 returns 12l per 100ks no worries even with the ATs and bullbar. Even giving it stick rarely gets to 13.
Doing what, if u don't mind me asking? Highway yes, 12l/100k achieveable, around town whilst "giving it stick" I can't get below 14's. 13's if I am damn restrained, but anyone who has driven or owned a 200 diesel would know that restraining the right foot is like expecting Warne not to twitter.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2013, 08:29:24 PM »
Doing what, if u don't mind me asking? Highway yes, 12l/100k achieveable, around town whilst "giving it stick" I can't get below 14's. 13's if I am damn restrained, but anyone who has driven or owned a 200 diesel would know that restraining the right foot is like expecting Warne not to twitter.

No idea, I don't even bother checking the gauge just see the fuel reports come in. Driving around Sydney I constantly get 12. As said ATs tyres at 39psi, bullbar no roof racks.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim