Author Topic: 76 series land cruisers  (Read 14225 times)

Offline pieater

• Learning the Ropes
76 series land cruisers
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:57:16 PM »
Hi there everyone.my husband and I are looking at the 76 series landcruisers troopers with 4 doors preferably Gxl. does anyone have one and how do you find them overall?

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: 76 series land cruisers
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:58:51 PM »
a husband ?........and here we were all thinking your were single  >:D

99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline wholehog

• "Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:20:24 PM »
in a word...awesome!!
V8 turbo diesel....torque to spare if u tow!
I dont have one but i know of a few people who do.. :cup:

Offline Homer_Jay

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:27 PM »
I have one. Had since new, now almost 4 yrs old with 110k on it.

Great truck, awesome engine. But a bit uncomfortable.

I'm 6' and the driving position is cramped. The new ones have more movement in the seat rails so if buying new then this might not be a problem.

I have the factory diff locks, they work a treat.

Just be careful with choice of aftermarket suspension.

And make sure you keep clean fuel going into them. Like all common rail diesels they don't like crappy fuel.

Landcruiser 76 wagon V8 T/D

Supreme Getaway pop top 12 ft

Offline pieater

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 08:30:45 PM »
Great thanks for the info.

Monkeybucket

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:40:09 PM »
Great towing rig, I have one second hand. I agree with the lack of legroom when in the drivers seat if your tall. Mine is 2009 workmate.
Suspension?   Well suited to OME 2" sports package set to nominated payload. 
Many suggest a fuel watch system /pre filter for your fuel and I would agree.

Otherwise all good and will have this rig for a long time to come.

Cheers
Chris

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 12:21:27 AM »
Went for a drive in one last week, gxl, it was great, I know what is going to replace my patrol in 2 years time! Been driving the troopies as clinic vehicles while I am out here and there is alot to like about the bent 8 diesel.
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

nbd73

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 05:32:37 AM »
Pieater, can I ask why the 76 in particular? Ie what is your intended use? My father has a fully optioned 76 gxl which I have driven extensively back to back against my 200 & previous 4x4 (jeep GC) so I can make some comparisons etc. These vehicles are built for tough off road use and general work, hence why mines, construction companies etc love them. Ideal for cape, high country etc IF you can transport them to your destination on a train. And that's the clincher: they are old school body & suspension design and aren't comparable to other modern vehicles for day to day use and highway driving. That simple, others may disagree but that's my take on it. In other words, not a great all rounder, the 76 is the "mud terrain tyre" of 4wd's if you get my drift. Brilliant for specific purposes. One aside, IMHO the single turbo V8 is a bit over rated, although I am comparing it to the 200 TTD so a bit unfair. But it feels a bit breathless and runs out of puff at about 2500rpm, needs a decent exhaust/chip package. Hope its what you need/want. Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:34:39 AM by nbd73 »

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 05:48:30 AM »
Pieater, can I ask why the 76 in particular? Ie what is your intended use? My father has a fully optioned 76 gxl which I have driven extensively back to back against my 200 & previous 4x4 (jeep GC) so I can make some comparisons etc. These vehicles are built for tough off road use and general work, hence why mines, construction companies etc love them. Ideal for cape, high country etc IF you can transport them to your destination on a train. And that's the clincher: they are old school body & suspension design and aren't comparable to other modern vehicles for day to day use and highway driving. That simple, others may disagree but that's my take on it. In other words, not a great all rounder, the 76 is the "mud terrain tyre" of 4wd's if you get my drift. Brilliant for specific purposes. One aside, IMHO the single turbo V8 is a bit over rated, although I am comparing it to the 200 TTD so a bit unfair. But it feels a bit breathless and runs out of puff at about 2500rpm, needs a decent exhaust/chip package. Hope its what you need/want. Good luck.

X10

Have to agree, they are a truck, and you have to take the good with the bad. I love mine and a few mods have been made. Refer my build.
My next mod is taking the vehicle to a motor trimmer who will make the seats more comfortable for around $400 each. Extra $ for lumbar, bolsters etc. so looking at $400-800 each. Cheaper than Recaro seats.
Wayne
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=24538.150
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:57:53 AM by fuji »
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 06:25:27 AM »

The 70 series always have been work and farm trucks, they aren't built for highway use.  Having said that if you really don't care about comfort (like me) then they do make good touring vehicles.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline pieater

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 07:02:16 AM »
Thankyou for all of your info.the more info I am getting the easier it is to decide on weather to buy one.it sounds like they are not the most comfortable car to be in so I think a test drive in one just might have to happen before buying one and to consider the 200series as well.maybe it might b the better car considering you can get one for around the same price.

Thankyou heaps everyone. Appreciate it

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 07:11:31 AM »
And that's the clincher: they are old school body & suspension design and aren't comparable to other modern vehicles for day to day use and highway driving. That simple, others may disagree but that's my take on it. In other words, not a great all rounder, the 76 is the "mud terrain tyre" of 4wd's if you get my drift. Brilliant for specific purposes.

OLD SCHOOL- ??? ??? ???- A term that is often referred to the Nissan Patrol. I like OLD SCHOOL, at least with OLD SCHOOL you can normally repair water damage on the side of the road, Spare parts for OLD SCHOOL can be found in every town with a population of 20 persons or more, You don,t need a diploma in rocket science to work on OLD SCHOOL your average mechanic can do your work for you if you are not mechanically minded. And with OLD SCHOOL you have control of when you want to engage High/Low range by using your hand on a stick/leaver to do the engaging not an electronic gadget that will fail at the slightest sniff of water or dust. OLD SCHOOL suspension will remind you of what the road condition are and you can adjust your speed to suit the conditions and reduce the damage to your OLD SCHOOL 4x4.

OLD SCHOOL 4x4's regardless of the brand have style the is unique, not like these all look the same modern 4x4's that will be written of by insurance the moment you go to deep into water and the electronics fail.

Give me OLD SCHOOL any day, if I were ever to crossover to the dark side (form Nissan to Toyota) it would be a 76 series that I would be looking for. I like the MUD TERRIAN TYRE type four wheel drive, not the road tyre pussy so called four wheel drive that people only drive on the highway.

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 07:17:56 AM »
x2

You tell 'em duggie...... :cup: :cup:

....but I can see the attraction with the 200's.....very nice......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline pieater

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:24:59 AM »
We currently have an 80 series turbo diesel land cruiser and was looking to update to a later model something with simplicity so the 76 series kind of fits the bill as it seems to be pretty straight forward. We are no frills kind of people in saying that the 80 has all the power options so didn't want to step back from that so I guess a Gxl 76 would probably fit the bill. Ultimately dependable reliability of the 80 series has spoilt us so the 76 series appears to be the closest match up but haven't ruled out the 200.just a bit weary of the earlier oil consumption issue with the twin turbo model but don't know enough about that problem to comment.

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming, really enjoy the chat with you guys.
Thanks
Pieater

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:56:10 AM »
Duggie, when it comes to genuine OLD SCHOOL, I would prefer to talk about 2H motors and the 75 series.  Out here in the communities you can rebuild a motor and not touch a mechanics shop, there are so many parts available in the 4wd graveyards.
The 200 series I would not even think about, too much alloy, not enough real steel.
Regards
Tjupurula

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
Duggie, when it comes to genuine OLD SCHOOL........

Don't worry Tj, if ANYONE knows genuine OLD SCHOOL (any brand) and how to keep it going, it's duggie......
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
Duggie, when it comes to genuine OLD SCHOOL, I would prefer to talk about 2H motors and the 75 series.  Out here in the communities you can rebuild a motor and not touch a mechanics shop, there are so many parts available in the 4wd graveyards.

That's one of the reasons why I got a HDJ79 - you can usually find parts for them anywhere, and failing that on old mate's station he usually will have a wrecked 75 out the back somewhere that will have bits on it.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:56 AM »
I would keep the 80 series better than them all  ;D

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »

Pretty much agree with all that.
The 76 is the real "poverty pack" of the toyota station wagon range.
However, I have a 2006 model 78 series LX troop carrier (now called GXL) and are very happy with it. Like the current GXL troopies it's licensed as a 5 seat station wagon and has a forward facing rear seat.
Only 2 doors though but that is not a problem for us, retired and rarely more than 2 in the vehicle. The troopy has the samel running gear to the 76 series and a hugely larger cargo area which I find essential when touring. You can easily sleep in the back and you do not have to crawl around to load and unload it. Downside is its a longer and taller vehicle than the 76 and not an ideal city daily drive.
Obviously I don't know what your purchasing priorities are but if you are looking for a touring vehicle (and have a daily drive as well) put the troopy on your wishlist and take a look at them.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 02:46:31 PM »
My truck is very basic. I don't even have a clock (500$) but the new models come with a clock, lockers and ABS. I paid for the lockers to be installed(genuine). I am running EFS suspension which I have had before. More than happy. Once I get some weight in the back, cargo barrier,drawers, bits and pieces she should settle down and not be so bouncy. Be mindful the basic 200 series is just that, basic.
$85k for a 200 and $72k for 76. I also have a Beaudesert 3 inch stainless exhaust system which puts out a bit more power.  Belle tows my Aussie Swag with no problems. The standard suspension was fine but I had a 2 inch lift. Good luck.
Wayne

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
My truck is very basic. I don't even have a clock (500$) but the new models come with a clock, lockers and ABS. I paid for the lockers to be installed(genuine). I am running EFS suspension which I have had before. More than happy. Once I get some weight in the back, cargo barrier,drawers, bits and pieces she should settle down and not be so bouncy. Be mindful the basic 200 series is just that, basic.
$85k for a 200 and $72k for 76. I also have a Beaudesert 3 inch stainless exhaust system which puts out a bit more power.  Belle tows my Aussie Swag with no problems. The standard suspension was fine but I had a 2 inch lift. Good luck.
Wayne

Did you keep the standard shockers Wayne, or change them over ?
Tjupurula

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
No  I have EFS heavy duty or similar. Did you end up getting your truck or not? I remember talking about it a decade or so ago.

Offline Tjupurula

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 04:35:46 PM »
No  I have EFS heavy duty or similar. Did you end up getting your truck or not? I remember talking about it a decade or so ago.

Yes, I got the 2012 Workmate tray back, but my second son is using it for now.  I am not allowed to drive for at least 12 months after having the heart attacks and surgery, and the young fella uses it for work and looks after it well.
Regards
Tjupurula

nbd73

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 05:48:14 PM »
One other oft over looked technical fact about the 76 series is that the front track is 80-100mm wider than the rear. This may or may not be an issue, but as an example it means when driving in soft, rutted sand that the back wheels are not tracking perfectly behind the front & therefore incurring extra resistance. Quantifying this in any meaningful way is difficult, but for what its worth driven back to back with a petrol GQ patrol (which my father still owns) the 76 "seems" to struggle in comparison IMHO. As before this comment could be at odds with other opinions, but in my experience on myswag there is a definite trend for owners to defend their own ride with very one eyed biased opinions rather than accepting that every vehicle has an intended use & will have limitations when used for other purposes. Eg I am well aware a 200 series is poor tight twisting tracks, where excess weight is an issue, and where parking ANYWHERE is required. But don't use it much in those circumstances, therefore suits me. Same for 76: there are plenty of situations where this is the ultimate vehicle of choice, and maybe highway noise, crap driving position and stupidly low 5th gearing are issues that don't affect you, in which case it would be perfect.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:53:14 PM by nbd73 »

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »
One other oft over looked technical fact about the 76 series is that the front track is 80-100mm wider than the rear.

Couple of spacers soon fixes that, have you fitted the spacers I gave you Fuji?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado