Author Topic: A question about offside flip-out soft floor campers.  (Read 3427 times)

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Grumpy Old Man in Training
A question about offside flip-out soft floor campers.
« on: March 03, 2013, 11:46:10 AM »
Hi there
Me again  ;D
I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to having the soft floor flip out on the offside.
The only occasion I can think of where this would matter is in a place with lines painted on the ground you must stay within.

Are there any other problems with this set up?

I notice that many Aussie made campers are this way, why?

Cheers
Dave
PS. I did a search and found no topics covering this, apologies if I missed it.
2001 HDJ-100, a flash one
2013 Expanda OB

Offline tanz

• Swag User
Re: A question about offside flip-out soft floor campers.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
Sometimes we need to shuffle ours around in designated campsites, not too much of a hassle though really. What I have found is if you have a tailgate mounted kitchen, and want to upgrade, most of the Ebay ones are the incorrect orientation.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
Ours is side fold to the drivers side and our last one was to the passenger side we have never had trouble with the side fold but we free camp alot.  Did take this one to 3 CP last year and no issues fitting it on the sites provided 2 of the parks had good sized sites the first one we had to make sure we got the trailer close to the edge of the site to fit it on but still no issues.  I guess though it also depends on the size tent we have a 9ft tent now and last one was the oztrail 6.

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Off side= Drivers side is that correct? (We use the term Off side near side in Road rescue)
Should not be a problem if you position you trailer correctly but I dont have an off the side softy. Mine is an off the rear softy.
Hi there
Me again  ;D
I was wondering if there is any disadvantage to having the soft floor flip out on the offside.

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »
Off side= Drivers side is that correct? (We use the term Off side near side in Road rescue)
Yes, Offside is drivers side for my thinking.
2013 Expanda OB

KingBilly

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »
Ours folds out to the driver's side.  Never had an issue, either at a CP or free camping.    I can think of no particular reason why one side would advantage the other.

I remember this coming up a few months back and the poster gave a scenario of wanting their tent to fold to the passenger side in case they needed to camp on the roadside.  There is no way known that I would be pulling up that close to the road and camping for the night.   Far too dangerous IMHO.

KB

Offline Mrs smith

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
One of the advantage's I can see with a top that folds to the passengers side, is that when
room is of importance it's a lot easier for me to look out the window when getting the trailer as close to something as possible than to have to rely on someones else's poor directions.

KingBilly

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »
What?  No mirrors on your tug?   ;D

KB

Offline DaveR

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
I remember this coming up a few months back and the poster gave a scenario of wanting their tent to fold to the passenger side in case they needed to camp on the roadside.  There is no way known that I would be pulling up that close to the road and camping for the night.   Far too dangerous IMHO.

Thats something I can't ever imagine doing, dangerous, or asking for trouble!

I'm glad it seems to not be an issue then as this following link has caught my EYE. But then the total width of this particular camper may become a problem, just going by something i read here on exceeding painted lines.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=11830821&__Qpb=1&Cr=26&__Ns=p_StockHasPrice_Int32|1||p_StockPrice_Decimal|0||p_StockRankSort_Int32|1&__N=1549%201552%20%20%204294964593%204294965530%204294958344%2079%201601&silo=1701&__No=15&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=116&__sid=13D180478A0C
I like the inclusions and price drop. Yet to enquire and hope the canvas is Aussie also.

We hope to Avoid the painted lines type camping anyway.
2013 Expanda OB

KingBilly

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »
In relation to size, we have a 12' tent so with the trailer we are 18' wide (6m).  Never ever had a problem in a CP yet.  All sites fit us or are bigger.  Just need to check when booking.  Some of the imported tents are 18' which makes them 24' in total and this may be pushing it a bit with some CPs.

KB

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
In relation to size, we have a 12' tent so with the trailer we are 18' wide (6m).  Never ever had a problem in a CP yet.  All sites fit us or are bigger.  Just need to check when booking.  Some of the imported tents are 18' which makes them 24' in total and this may be pushing it a bit with some CPs.

KB

Good points here when we booked we did specify which side ours folded I guess then if they have certain sites that would fit one better than the other not sure it would matter but we just let them know

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 07:39:52 PM »
There has been a few conversations about this and IIRC there was really no consensus. It seemed there were benefits and wrinkles for either configuration.

I used to think they should all open to the near side, but now having used both I don't think it matters at all.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Graza71

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2013, 08:05:51 PM »
Interesting topic. I've just purchased my first CT and it folds to the drivers side. I'm actually lounging in my chair next to the tent at a CP as I type this (this is our inaugural trip - the "fact finding" one where we try to figure out what things work and what don't). For the particular site we are on it wouldn't matter which way ours folds but we did have to spin the CT 180deg so that it is facing into the roadway, otherwise we would just be staring at the boundary fence. Not much fun when the site is quite soft (even though it's covered with shade cloth) and the jockey wheel sinks in a fair bit - might have to invest in one of the big inflatable ones.
One thing that is not too smart with the design of this particular one, the water filler is on the drivers side also - no probs when the tent isn't erected, but when it is it means you have to take water inside the tent if you need to refill while you're set up!

Good luck with the purchase.

Graza
2006 R51 Pathfinder
2011 Outback Campers Classic

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
When we purchased ours I wanted it to fold out to the drivers side.
Number 1 reason was because when our camper is at home we reverse it down our side access between our fence and house which means when we come back from a wet trip we can simply reverse down and are able to fold the camper out in the back yard. If it folded to the passenger side I would have to reverse down then spin it around to be able to unfold it.