Author Topic: 4WD ACTION DVD IDIOT?  (Read 14007 times)

Offline gurules

• Tent User
  • GU 4.2TD AND TRACK TRAILER EAGLE
4WD ACTION DVD IDIOT?
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:47:17 PM »
Just whatch a 4wd action dvd called grahams ultimate guide to the simpson,in my poinion this guy is a knob ,or is it me , im suprised that the entire way through the film neither him or the other two vehicles of people never wore seat belts and if you whatch what they were doing sliding around the mud in the simpson desert there was plenty to hit or role overs etc. do other 4wders not wear there seat belts???????  so Dave from Mt Dare comes into it and suprise hes wearing his belt from what i can see every time they show inside his cab.just thought id get other peoples opinion about this.
Never Ever Give up

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 4WD ACTION DVD IDIOT?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 07:11:37 PM »
Pretty sure this dvd and lack of seatbelts features prominently in another thread from back when the dvd was released.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline gurules

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
Pretty sure this dvd and lack of seatbelts features prominently in another thread from back when the dvd was released.
thanks burnsy i will check it out just whatched it i know its older but was just amazed at this bloke givn out tips about 4wding what a joke
Never Ever Give up

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:56:28 PM »
Those 4WD Action videos are irritatingly bad. They seem to think that taking five hours to cover 10km, complete with lots of deliberate mud and subsequent winching, is really fun. Really stupid is a better description.
Cheers, Tony

Offline gurules

• Tent User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:00:22 AM »
Those 4WD Action videos are irritatingly bad. They seem to think that taking five hours to cover 10km, complete with lots of deliberate mud and subsequent winching, is really fun. Really stupid is a better description.
Cheers, Tony
yep you got it tony but hey there cool arnt they 8) :cheers:
Never Ever Give up

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:17 AM »
i have not seeen this particular video, but personally i dont mind driving without a seatbelt if going slowly and getting in and out the car.... private property of course... i'd be more worried about world hunger
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline bussoboy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wanting to travel before all the roads are sealed
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
given the choice of either watching Roothy DVD's or Graham DVD's...............I'll take the Graham ones anyday
2011 GXL 200 Series & 2017 Kokoda Endure 111

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
given the choice of either watching Roothy DVD's or Graham DVD's...............I'll take the Graham ones anyday

I agree, I don't mind watching Graham, his south west WA one around the Warren River is also good.
2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
Not sure that the 4WD Touring DVD of Fraser Isalnd is any better - seatbelts were put on though but the sea driving ...Hmmmmm
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »
Just whatch a 4wd action dvd called grahams ultimate guide to the simpson,in my poinion this guy is a knob ,or is it me , im suprised that the entire way through the film neither him or the other two vehicles of people never wore seat belts and if you whatch what they were doing sliding around the mud in the simpson desert there was plenty to hit or role overs etc. do other 4wders not wear there seat belts???????  so Dave from Mt Dare comes into it and suprise hes wearing his belt from what i can see every time they show inside his cab.just thought id get other peoples opinion about this.

I watched this DVD that came with the 4WDA Simpson Desert magazine. What amazed me was it would have been obvious that the tracks would have been closed due to the conditions yet they ploughed on through chewing them up to no end especially across the salt pans.

Perhaps someone could clarify if a desert track across the Simpson is subject to the same conditions as an outback dirt road eg Strzelecki Track and I have been caught out at Montecollina bore when it rained and the track was closed.

Offline JBird

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »
There is a whole thread about this (several actually) here on the 4wdaction forums where Graham apologises and states his case.

Not having a dig at anyone, but can everyone here honestly say they have never done something careless in their lives before?

'One PJ Ranger Supercab & goodies with modified AOR Odyssey XR in tow'

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »

Not having a dig at anyone, but can everyone here honestly say they have never done something careless in their lives before?

Yes I can.  I am always deliberate about my stupidity - never careless  :cheers:
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:59 PM »
Yes I can.  I am always deliberate about my stupidity - never careless  :cheers:

I don't when crossing flood ways or when going down a steep climb and not being able to see the track clearly, due to seat belt not letting me lean forward enough.  :angel:

Foo
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
I'd like to hear the excuses why fundamental safety and legislative requirements are not being met in a video such as this

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD ACTION DVD IDIOT?
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 05:40:44 PM »
I'd like it if stuff like this didn't matter.

So what if he did?

Use your own common sense surely its pretty clear it isn't a training video.

They make mistakes, whoopdedo

Offline qlddsl

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »

So what if he did?

X2
if i dont need 4wd, i ain't going!!!

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »

So what if he did?

X3 on this
having camped with him recently he's a pretty nice guy who made heaps of time for the all the adults and kids that were there at the time. surely people have better things to worry about in their lives then getting on a forum and calling someone they have never met a "knob"  ::) ::)
yes he should have worn the seatbelt and people will watch that and maybe do the same, but maybe they might try thinking for themselves for a change also which would be nice  ;)
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline rockman

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live ... then don't
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 09:03:42 PM »
X3 on this
having camped with him recently he's a pretty nice guy who made heaps of time for the all the adults and kids that were there at the time. surely people have better things to worry about in their lives then getting on a forum and calling someone they have never met a "knob"  ::) ::)
yes he should have worn the seatbelt and people will watch that and maybe do the same, but maybe they might try thinking for themselves for a change also which would be nice  ;)

Fully agree ... sort of like to many precious people quick to Cristie .
If that's all you people have to whinge about ... congrats !
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:09:01 PM by rockman »

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 10:00:38 PM »
given the choice of either watching Roothy DVD's or Graham DVD's..............
.......I'd choose a Colonoscopy..... :o

They might be "great blokes" in person, but fark are they both irritating to watch....just dial back the Bogan a bit and they'd be watchable.....Everyone who's met them reckons they arent really like the way they appear on the DVD's... so why act like you have the IQ of a Goldfish ?? Because that's how they come across....

It is also why other publications exist..... Each to their own. Pretty much anything associated with 4WD Action (Such as Camper Trailer Touring Mag) is generally associated with Deep Mud holes, 37" tyres, winching  and big mods. If that aint your thing.......just  don't spend your $$$$$ on it! Problem Solved!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 10:13:48 PM by DeLuxHiLux »
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »
X3 on this
Fully agree with Rumpig..
Yes he was doing the wrong thing but to start calling him a knob on a forum.. Please..

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD ACTION DVD IDIOT?
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 06:23:51 AM »
.......I'd choose a Colonoscopy..... :o

They might be "great blokes" in person, but fark are they both irritating to watch....just dial back the Bogan a bit and they'd be watchable.....Everyone who's met them reckons they arent really like the way they appear on the DVD's... so why act like you have the IQ of a Goldfish ?? Because that's how they come across....

It is also why other publications exist..... Each to their own. Pretty much anything associated with 4WD Action (Such as Camper Trailer Touring Mag) is generally associated with Deep Mud holes, 37" tyres, winching  and big mods. If that aint your thing.......just  don't spend your $$$$$ on it! Problem Solved!

Because that is what their target market is attracted to and responds well too.

Roothy is a character, John Rooth is a great person to spend time with. Has traveled the world from a young age and is very articulate.

The personas sell mags

nbd73

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »
This thread is no different to discussion on what 4WD is best, or which cricket commentator is best > everyone is going to have an opinion based on their own likes & dislikes.  There seems little point in it, though Rumpig & others have very good points.  These DVD's etc are ENTERTAINMENT, not education tools for use in high school class rooms.  The producers and people in them are not saying "this is how to drive" but merely trying to provide purchasers of a magazine with some supplementary fun and value for their $9.95.  So if that's not your thing fair enuff but it hardly warrants starting a debate by calling people names.  We all do things that are not to the tastes of others but that hardly makes us "knobs" unless it has a direct adverse affect on them (such as someone camping 5m from you and playing loud music all night).  So if these DVD's are affecting you, DON'T watch them.  Personally I don't watch them, but can appreciate that plenty of people do and derive great enjoyment from them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 07:01:42 AM by nbd73 »

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »

Roothy is a character, John Rooth is a great person to spend time with. Has traveled the world from a young age and is very articulate.

The personas sell mags

This is where it gets tricky though. He is smart and worldly and is a journalist.  The big buffoon IS his persona to sell his craft.  A bit like John Williamson - He never actually spoke the way he speaks now (whatever you call his accent - Aussie/Bundy/Winnie Blue/Camel Driver cross maybe).

Where he has excelled is the image tends to allow him to get away with what is often stupid behaviour - 'cause he's a top bloke!'.  When you read discussions like this you would swear that many think he is at home working on his old FJ, heading down the mudflaps, doing a bit of diesel work with kev, AND, just for his mates, knocking up a couple of dvd's and magazine articles before heading back to the handbrake.

Good luck to him.  But it doesn't mean he gets a free pass when stupidity is in the air - as with all of em.  They are business men - no different to the local vet.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline ozbogwam

• Soft Floor Camper User
4WD ACTION DVD IDIOT?
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 09:26:11 AM »
I agree the stupid behavior is annoying to me but I guess having travelled with them I can separate the character from the reality.

Don't enjoy all if their DVDs but alit if them I do enjoy. Don't enjoy the mags though so have to look out for the DVDs at the news agent when he sells them off after people rip open the bags etc