Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2  (Read 3738 times)

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
« on: April 12, 2012, 09:33:05 PM »

Apple had their release, now its Samsung's  turn with their Galaxy Tab 2

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253630/samsung_announces_lowercost_android_40_tablets.html

US prices indicated.

Will be interesting to see what is available in another 12 months.

Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:48 AM »
Interesting,, will see how they go,.. been looking at the current 7.7 as it runs a 1.2 proceser, i'm begining to lean toward these galaxy's over the Ipad.

Steve

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:45 PM »
Thinner, feels and looks good, and it is not Apple.

The 7.7 looks like a nice device.

We like our iPad1, but are not anchored to it. The Samsung is a very tempting unit.

Chris & John

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »
Interesting,, will see how they go,.. been looking at the current 7.7 as it runs a 1.2 proceser, i'm begining to lean toward these galaxy's over the Ipad.

Steve

BHG

Steve. I have a 10.1 and it has been great IMO. No crashes and lots of apps and compatible with every thing I need.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

Where will it end?

http://apcmag.com/android-tablets-in-2012-the-onset-of-tegra-3.htm

Getting better and better.
Chris & John

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »

Are we headed to having a portable device (tablet or phone style) able to be docked to a station, where upon docking, the tablet then becomes a PC running a more powerful CPU and a different OS?

Such as Android (windows) or iOS as a tablet, docked could run MacOS or Windows or Linux/Unix? iOS hooked into Windows or Android hooked to Mac OS?

Maybe the tablet CPU could handle both docked and undocked situations, the station providing more memory, both RAM and data storage, interfaces etc.

Maybe the tablet could act as a boot device for the station (done before, eg. DEC mainframes).

Chris & John

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
Are we headed to having a portable device (tablet or phone style) able to be docked to a station, where upon docking, the tablet then becomes a PC running a more powerful CPU and a different OS?

That is coming for Ubuntu/Android - http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »
Thanks Kiva.

That's good news.

It is interesting some of the things you read. Just read that Linux was going downhill as a desktop system.  Hopefully Ubuntu will keep going.
Chris & John

Offline kiva

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:37 PM »
It is interesting some of the things you read. Just read that Linux was going downhill as a desktop system.  Hopefully Ubuntu will keep going.

"The year of the Linux desktop" is something I've heard ever since I started using Linux back in 1996. That catchphrase was repeated every year and has since been a long running joke for many years. Honestly, I don't think Linux will ever take off as a majority desktop, though it is popular in niche markets - and this is from someone who has been using Linux on desktops/laptops for about 16 years or so (as well as on servers, and other devices).

Where Linux shines is in servers, super computers, embedded devices, and more recently in mobile where it is prolific. Good times.

Many people associate the Ubuntu distribution as "Linux", and I agree that Ubuntu has "lost its way". Their recent changes to the desktop over the last few releases haven't proved popular. Luckily there are many other options for those who wish to use Linux on their desktop/laptop.

LandCruiser GXL 105 Series. Complete Campsite Exodus 14.

Offline johnyd

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 11:46:46 PM »

Not in those exact terms,  but we have reached the point where Tablets can be made powerful enough to take the place of a (low powered) PC.  The OS is about all that would need to change (ie the Ubuntu mentioned above).  Fairly certain there are tablets floating around right now that can take a bluetooth kb/m and hook up to a large screen.  I'm not 100% sure on the bt mouse compatibility though.  If you're only after basic computer operations that would get you out of trouble IMO.

Have a look at this and [url=http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/one-hour-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview-on-a-convertible-notebook/6991]

And this for a bit of a preview of Win 8 [url=http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/one-hour-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview-on-a-convertible-notebook/6991]http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/one-hour-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview-on-a-convertible-notebook/6991
[/url]

Having a mode switch in the OS would be better than a different OS, so you don't have to reload the tablet and no complications with syncing the data between two OS's on one device.  Basically when it's undocked you get the nice touch screen menu and simple apps, when docked it switches to a desktop environment.  All of the big players have the software relationships to manage this, with Android = Linux, iOS = Macintosh, WP8 = Windows 8.  This would give Windows a big advantage with it's market share in the desktop segment and possibly weaken Android due to the lack of familiarity with Linux based OS's of the general computer user.

Something I'd love to see on the upcoming Windows 8 and it's mobile iterations is the ability to seamlessly switch between your computer based apps and phone/tablet devices.  Not exactly what you're talking about since it is still separate machines, but a useful step and more practical for some applications.  This would allow the mobilisation of certain tasks, but still allow you to enjoy the extra power from a desktop

With office documents it's already close with Windows Phone 7.  I can start a document on my phone with a few notes, get home and load it into word and take off straight away, then jump on my laptop on the go and keep working.  But I see the next step as having a button (because you wouldn't always want to) that when clicked will load the doc on the other device so when you pick it up you just start straight away, with live updating on both devices (with selectable conditions such as "local wifi only" so as to not waste your data quota).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:51:40 PM by johnyd »

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 08:50:43 AM »
That catchphrase was repeated every year and has since been a long running joke for many years. Honestly, I don't think Linux will ever take off as a majority desktop, though it is popular in niche markets

I had forgotten that about Linux. Always in the throws of extinction.

Must admit I have never felt comfortable using Linux distros. Always seemed to be something missing. The price is right though  :D

Ed: Samsung has a nice Windows 7 device that looks and feels like a tablet (bit larger though) and can be 'docked'. Still running Windows though in each configuration.
Tablet Battery power would take a hammering with the higher end processor and work required, so Android or iOS or similar (cut down OS) would probably still be needed when in portable mode.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:56:59 AM by Estelle »
Chris & John